Memories of Kmart when it was Not Dying

People on Tumblr speak of Kmart exclusively as some sort of horrifying, soul-crushing hellscape, because they are too young to remember a time before it was.

Most of us are not. So let's share our memories of Kmart when it was Not Dying!

I remember buying a Family Home Entertainment "Tales of Beatrix Potter" VHS there in 1999.
Tagged:

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Grandma worked at Several Kmarts and she would always bring me the buttons they had their employees wear on their aprons, usually promoting upcoming Disney VHS releases

I wish I still had those, they were cool
  • a kmart does not die

it merely alters, through degrees, to a state beyond kmartness
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    bought Super Mario 3 there in 1990

other than that I got nothin'
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I also got a copy of See Spot Run from Kmart in like 2001 because doggy
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Remember when this was their primary logo?

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I remember we went to Kmart a lot when we lived in Florida. I don't remember much else. My memories of Publix and Toys 'R' Us are decidedly more vivid. My parents tell me Kmart has always been kind of like it's about to close down, though, like it's the store's abiding aesthetic.
    I loved Kmart as a child. I thought you could buy rocket ships there
    I liked Blockbuster a lot. My family would always rent movies and get Chinese food at this place in the same little shopping centre from around when we moved up here (I was six or seven) until... I'm not sure when it closed, actually. Not too long before the company went bankrupt.
    did you ever have the Blockbuster cards that said "A VIACOM COMPANY"
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    DISCLAIMER: Some of my memories of Kmart may actually be memories of Roses or Heck's. No, I don't know how this happened.
    I'm pretty sure that detail is not something that would stick in my memory. Video bumpers and advertisements, yes, but that's a little too trivial.

I feel like Blockbuster and Kmart are in that weird category of things you remember fondly but also recognise are perfectly fair targets for slightly dark humour or outright mockery. It's sort of like being a fan of the Arcade Fire: You can love Neon Bible and appreciate their overwhelming sincerity and still think Win Butler's beef with Deadmau5 over "playing real music" is hilarious.
  • I think my PC CD-ROM copy of Mega Man X is from a KMart.

KMart.

this miscapitalization hurts my brain

K-Mart

Also wrong. 😐
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    kmart.
  • edited 2017-01-28 06:41:34
    But they intend the K to be pronounced as the letter's name!  You can't mix that with regular letters!  Unless it's a vowel.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    K-fucking-mart
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i don't remember anything about kmart btqh
  • an alternate reality wherein walmart is struggling and kmart is doing very well

and so is radioshack
    yes but what about CIRCUIT CITY
    radioshack not sucking is impossible srry
  • Anonus said:

yes but what about CIRCUIT CITY

them too

i'm kinda sick of best buy being the only game in town for electronics
  • edited 2017-01-28 07:09:37
    Calica said:

radioshack not sucking is impossible srry

pistols@dawn.com
    i've seen a couple of something called hh gregg