Frito-Lay products are underwhelming

Ruffles. Cheetos. Tostitos. None of these are as good as other brands or even the Kroger brand

What gives?
Tagged:

Comments

• the Aldi store brand of what would be Fritos is actually pretty satisfying
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I swore off potato chips months ago so I wouldn't know
  • kill living beings
    i like tostito's.

ruffles aren't as good as tim's, but tim's are more expensive and also local ish.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I prefer Late July's tortilla chips, and before those, Mission
  • I've always been a fan of their baked Lay's products. Much tastier than most of their other stuff.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Cheese Ruffles are wonderful. I adore cheese Ruffles. 
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I will concede that Lay's makes a terrible kettle chip. If I am going to have kettle chips, I really must insist on Kettle brand kettle chips. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kettle chips might be the only potato chips I'd still be willing to eat.

I don't know, most potato chips, to me, just feel like I'm eating a bunch of fat and salt. I'm not judging people who like them, but they're not for me.
  • edited 2017-01-27 05:27:30
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    See, eating too many Ruffles or Lay's chips makes me feel like I'm poisoning myself
  • Tostitos are fine, but then they are also the only tortilla chip most stores sell here so I don't have much comparison. I like the Sobeys store brand better for nachos but Tostitos better for snacking on.

As far as Lay's go, yeah, they're not the best. Their plain potato chips have for some reason never done it for me, even though I have nothing against plain potato chips of almost any other brand. Actually the same goes for Ruffles. However other flavours are fine. (In particular, Lay's is the only band I've ever seen that makes ruffled salt and vinegar chips, which is something I am very much in favour of.)

I do agree in general with the superiority of kettle chips, but they're expensive and I'll happily eat any oversalted potato thing you give me, so usually I just buy store brand normal potato chips.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually don't mind the Lay's Kettle Cooked chips, but they're definitely OK and not great. My favorites are the Utz ones.