Fairies

What do you imagine them to be like? What kind of things do you associate with them?

Because I'm writing about them, you see. So I'm interested in hearing other people's ideas of fairies.

So this isn't actually a Centralia thread, though I admit Centralia fairies are fun to make up stuff about.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I really like the traditional Irish conception of fairies, which is basically "magic things that aren't human but also aren't gods and don't really act like either." Which is to say that they tend to be really alien and fickle and varying degrees of frightening, with flashes of quirky benevolence.
  • kill living beings
    I guess a basically ridiculous trickster like Chilly-chan there, maybe with some element of Srednic alien sociopathy.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'm primarily familiar with fairies through Gunnerkrigg Court, Hellboy (the comicbooks), and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (the novel). So, I agree with Sredni that the most important thing is their alienness and seeming capriciousness. 

GC is definitely on the nicer end of the spectrum. The fairies can be verbally cruel but have yet to physically hurt anyone. They're obsessed with appearances, to the extent that friendships are literally won and lost based on how impressive your hair is. And they measure time in inches, and space in minutes.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell was the darker interpretation of it. The fairies there hold tightly to their own particular code of honor—but it's a code that thinks nothing of killing people for the smallest slights. And even when a fairy takes a liking to a particular human and tries to do him a favor, the fairy will casually kill a bunch of people in the process, and just won't understand why their new human pal is so upset about it. And there's an amusing anecdote in the footnotes about the time young Julius Caesar was summoned to the fairy lands, so he could serve as Judge in their court of law... and they needed a human judge because literally every fairy alive stood accused of some crime. 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I imagine fey as old people with the bodies of young people who go around destroying things, fornicating with garbage, and repeating nonsense rhymes
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    you put them in bottles and they revive you when you die
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thanks for the input, everybody.

In Ginger of the Fae, the fairies live in a small village deep within the wild forests of rural Ohio.

What should their cottages look like, you think?
  • Odradek said:

I imagine fey as old people with the bodies of young people who go around destroying things, fornicating with garbage, and repeating nonsense rhymes

falsa falsa sé nach bhfuil sé é a dhéanamh, falsa falsa sé nach bhfuil sé é a dhéanamh
  • Thanks for the input, everybody.

In Ginger of the Fae, the fairies live in a small village deep within the wild forests of rural Ohio.

What should their cottages look like, you think?
    Round
  • when i think of faeries, i think of this CD i used to listen to as I went to sleep as a child, a fictionalized retelling of the life of Turlough O'Carolan

after he goes blind, a series of events leads him to the castle of the faerie queen, who leads him to watch a vicious battle between two fey armies. their guns roar like thunder, and when the battle is over, the field is so silver with their blood, that "it resembled the surface of the moon more than any earthly landscape"

she showed him this, in an attempt to convince him to stay
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    how can he watch anything if he's blind? hmm?
  • in the world of the faeries he can see

anyways, he turns down the queen and escapes, and writes this:

• I like faeries with flash that do something when they enter the battlefield.