Roadgeek Thread 2018 (It's Mostly Central Ohio)

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Let's play a game.

5,000 Centralian dollars to @vtk if she can tell me where and when (a year is good enough) I took this photo.

• edited 2018-01-21 05:57:04
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    was that on our road trip?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It was not. I'll tell you the answer privately.
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2018-01-21 10:26:55
    embrace the confusion

Let's play a game.

5,000 Centralian dollars to @vtk if she can tell me where and when (a year is good enough) I took this photo.

Where is easy. That's the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge, carrying I-71 over the Little Miami River and a bike trail whose name I don't know. View from southbound lanes. When is tricky. This was a long-running project to replace the bridge, and I crossed it several times per month for almost that whole time. The years kind of run together in my head. My best guess is spring 2013, though it wouldn't surprise me if you told me this was 2012.

I'll count that as a correct answer. It was August of 2012. ^_^
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    The US 23 southbound rest area in Marion County has a Franklin County map from like 2001 on display.

The US 33 eastbound rest area in Union County has a Franklin County map from 1995 on display.
    hahaha I'll have to check that out sometime
    I was sure the odd "TO 4TH ST" assembly at Goodale and High would be scrapped during the construction last year, but...it was actually replaced! With a slightly different but equally strange sign assembly, no less.

• vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Past me came to visit yesterday, and he thought most of our freeway signs looked weird without the reflective dots.

What the garbage is this?? Was your cantilever not long enough to center the lane arrow properly without cheating?
    Note also that The Andersons sign is still up despite the store having closed for good in June.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Did we go past that in December?
    I think we did, on the way to the movie theater to see Star Wars
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    At least the arrow is centered over the lane. My guess is the standard cantilever design only extends far enough to reach the opposite side of the exit lane, and if the sign is only 12' wide, that's enough to do it without "cheating". But this sign was made wider to accommodate the long legend Reynoldsburg, so they did it this way.

You should see the northbound I-71 guide signs for 161. Spoiler: they put "Dublin-Granville Rd" all on one line.
    Admittedly, this only stuck out to me because the previous generation of signage had the arrow centered on the sign rather than over the lane.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I watched this less than an hour after you uploaded it, because I was in my YouTube app at the time and there it was in notifications

I feel like there's a slight semantic difference in the placement of "WEST" on the old sign vs the new sign.

Is it westbound Refugee Road, which is also SR 104, or is it westbound SR 104, which is also Refugee Road? The former seems more accurate, since (a) SR 104 is normally signed north/south, and (b) SR 104 only goes one direction from this interchange anyways.
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2018-02-24 09:10:36
    embrace the confusion
    It should say 104 south to Refugee Rd west.

Also note the leftmost guide sign is quite different, and on the balance more correct.

*sigh*
    For whatever reason, US 62 in particular gets this treatment A LOT:

• What exactly is odd about these?
  • edited 2018-03-03 23:07:51
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    They're supposed to be US Route markers (shield-shaped) but instead they're State Route markers (Ohio-shaped).
  • oh i see

does the state pay for them?
    That last one might be a state installation. The other three, I'm fairly certain, are municipal.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Interstates and US routes are owned and operated by the individual states (or sometimes the cities they pass through), not the federal government. Really US routes are just glorified state routes, with cooperation between states to make a coherent system. (The same could be said of Interstates, but there's much tighter federal oversight there.) Federal funding may be used on state and even local roads, too.
    At the north end of Sandusky Street in Delaware, Ohio, there's a right turn onto southbound US 23. The right turn is signal-controlled...and the signals have red right arrows with a sign "RIGHT TURN ON RED ARROW PERMITTED AFTER STOP".

So...why use red arrows at all, then? You could easily have used a red ball with yellow and green arrows, but given that a red arrow is legally defined (in this state, at least) as prohibiting turns on red, it's weird to introduce that contradiction for you to clarify.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    South side observations

US 23 northbound approach to / ramp to I-270:
    - is now exit 83
    - ground mounted signs are all new, feature HM OK symbol, lack any destination legends
    - overhead signs are ancient button copy, featuring faded Interstate shields, destinations Columbus and Wheeling, probably will be replaced very soon

I-270 westbound approach to I-71:
    - advance guide signs have been fixed, now there is a separate sign over each dropped lane / for each direction of I-71 (doesn't indicate you can go both ways on I-71 from one of the lanes)
    - pull thru sign for I-270 lacks a destination legend, but has a big empty space for one
    Interesting...
    I am genuinely baffled as to why anyone would think the ramps from US 23 to I-270 need exit numbers.

This is somehow even sillier than when they were exits 23 A and B.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I was wondering about the northbound gore signs, since noticing the southbound ones were gone.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    If they're gonna have exit numbers, I think the southbound split to 270 & 315 should be exit 101, and then the ramp splitting off to go to 315 should be exit 22. I'd find it amusing that you'd be exiting "from 270" before when picking which direction of 270 to enter.
    More than anything, I find the whole thing amusing.

It was silly enough to have exit numbers on those ramps when it was a cloverleaf, because even though US 23 isn't a freeway, you could at least pretend to justify it by saying "US 23 acts as a freeway through this interchange."

But now...almost every movement in that interchange involves a signal of some kind, even if it's just the ones controlling a crosswalk. That portion of US 23 has no business pretending to be a freeway anymore, if it ever did.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I don't disagree with you on that point.
    @vtk What's the highest exit letter in Ohio? I know southbound 315 goes all the way to 1F...
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Pretty sure there's at least a G in Cincinnati. They used to go up to like K or L before Fort Washington Way was redone with 2nd & 3rd Sts as C/D roads in the 90s.
  • edited 2018-07-27 16:52:55
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    vtk and I were discussing this privately earlier, but ODOT has apparently decided that North Broadway is actually North Broadway Street. I suspect the erroneous "St" will be greened out in the coming weeks.

Also strange is the inclusion of "E", which they don't do for any of the other exits through this stretch. It really does seem like someone at ODOT just got really confused by the street signs that say "E. North Broadway"...

Anyways, I also spotted this amusingly redundant sign on the same portion of I-71:
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    they really want you to know that ohio state university (sic) is on exit 110b
    It's made funnier to me by the fact that the exit number tab was a recent addition. Someone at ODOT evidently looked at that sign and said "yeah, we should add a tab with the exit number" 😂
    That's why the tab is in FHWA Series (Highway Gothic, as it's often called) and the rest of the sign is in Clearview.
    Dublin-Granville Rd hasn't been SR 161 in at least 20 years, but the JCT 161 assembly on Old Hamilton Rd lives on.

Even weirder, the original two-piece sign assembly was replaced with a "unisign" at some point between 2012 and 2014. Evidently someone at the City of Columbus wasn't aware that sign shouldn't even be there anymore.

This sign is trying its best to hide its Helvetica shame in the trees, but more importantly...I do believe this is the only instance where SR 256 is signed north/south instead of east/west
    sr 2^8
  • moar liek sr 0 amirite???
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Calica said:

sr 2^8

Too busy to break out the <sup>?

vtk said:

Calica said:

sr 2^8

Too busy to break out the <sup>?

also I recall the sup not rendering

I have no idea what this could possibly mean.

It's a warning-style sign, and "NO THRU STREET" is a warning message, but I see nothing to indicate that the street becomes physically impassable between 12 AM and 5 AM.

I suspect what they really wanted was a regulatory sign that says "NO THRU TRAFFIC 12 AM-5 AM"
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2018-08-08 09:28:55
    embrace the confusion
    And then there's "EXIT CLOSED" on a surface street… (where did we see that?)
    It was on Westerville Rd somewhere in the vicinity of Agler/Weber

The weirdest part was it didn't even seem to mean anything; there was no visible "closure" of anything