Roadgeek Thread 2018 (It's Mostly Central Ohio)

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    That's been there a few years
    Yeah. I remember seeing it at least as far back as 2011.

What gets me is that it's actually kind of aesthetically pleasing!
    Every map I've seen still indicates that US-62 and OH-3 follow both Town Street and Rich Street between Central Avenue and Downtown.

Which probably made sense when those streets were one-way? But now that they're two-way, it just seems kinda nonsensical, with two parallel two-way stretches of US-62.

The signage in the field seems to do little to clarify matters, too.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Last I investigated, the signage in the field seemed to mostly agree that both directions of 62 and 3 follow Town between Central and 315.

Were you just itching to post a map with Central Ave on it?

One thing that bugs me about the last fifteen to twenty years of the Seeger map of Franklin County is the use of the freeway line style for half of a bifurcated freeway (like I-70 WB through the Mound-Sandusky Interchange) or even a single-lane ramp (like I-71 NB through the Mound-Sandusky Interchange).

-----

There's a JCT US-4 assembly along OH-4 NB / OH-423 SB / Walnut St in Marion.
  • vtk said:

Were you just itching to post a map with Central Ave on it?

#secretcentralavenueagenda
    vtk said:

Last I investigated, the signage in the field seemed to mostly agree that both directions of 62 and 3 follow Town between Central and 315.

It occurred to me after I posted that that Town and Rich are still one-way through the 315 interchange, which may be why maps seem to still treat that stretch of 62/3 as if they're a one-way pair.
    vtk said:

One thing that bugs me about the last fifteen to twenty years of the Seeger map of Franklin County is the use of the freeway line style for half of a bifurcated freeway (like I-70 WB through the Mound-Sandusky Interchange) or even a single-lane ramp (like I-71 NB through the Mound-Sandusky Interchange).

Somehow I never noticed that, but that is pretty weird. It looks especially goofy with I-71 NB there.
    vtk said:

There's a JCT US-4 assembly along OH-4 NB / OH-423 SB / Walnut St in Marion.

@Ikaheishi once told me Ohio's state route sign looks too much like the US shield. I guess she's not the only one who thinks so. :P
    Having now walked through it on Google Street View, here's what I concluded based on the signage:

Note that (a) this contradicts the Seeger county map shown above, and (b) 62/3 does indeed follow two separate two-way streets east of 315...which makes sense given that they're one-way through the 315 interchange.

However, I did notice one GLARING signage issue: You should NOT turn right onto Front Street to stay on 62/3 SB. It would appear a sign like this one was in place back when the Town Street bridge was still open, and a subsequent project replaced it despite the current bridge connecting at Rich and not Town.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Last I checked, the Straight Line Diagrams had route 62D following Town St straight through from 3rd all the way to Greenwood. The SLDs stopped updating when the Town St bridge was still there but closed IIRC, but they still had 62/3 SB going straight through City Center Mall / Columbus Commons.
    Yeah, I actually consulted the SLD before making my initial post, then found out it was completely unhelpful.
    Observation: the signs at the exit of the LeVeque Tower garage seem to be remnants of when Gay Street was one-way westbound.

They indicate that you can go westbound on Gay, or southbound on Wall Street, but there's no mention of heading eastbound on Gay.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Oh you visited AIU Citadel? Neat! But yeah updating the signage inside a parking garage is a thing that's easily neglected, I suppose.
    I was actually visiting the building next door I forget the name of (10 W. Broad) but I was late for my meeting and got desperate enough to pay for the overpriced "LVQ" garage.

As for outdated parking garage signage: I recall what's now the Columbus Commons garage being full of references to Columbus City Center at least into 2012, long after the mall was demolished.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    The closure of westbound Rich St between Front and High is starting to annoy me
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Oh yeah, beams are going up for the ramp from US 23 NB to OH 823 EB near Lucasville
    The right turn from westbound Broad Street to the I-71 NB ramp now has a flashing yellow arrow.

I guess ODOT and/or City of Columbus realized that a green arrow contradicts the signs telling you to yield to pedestrians.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Would that be the first FYA in Columbus?
    It's the first one I'm aware of, at least.
    A strange "BIKE LANE CLOSED AHEAD" sign spotted on Fourth Street (US 23/US 33) in downtown Columbus this morning.

Immediately preceding this was a black-on-orange "🚲 SHARE THE ROAD" sign, but I didn't manage to get a picture of that.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I can't tell if that CLOSED AHEAD is Clearview or something completely nonstandard
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion

Those photos are oddly satisfying.
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2017-05-09 12:57:48
    embrace the confusion
    https://youtu.be/utVlVGjJECg

how do i make embedded video
  • vtk said:

https://youtu.be/utVlVGjJECg

how do i make embedded video

by posting the regular browser link rather than an abbreviated link
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2017-05-09 13:18:23
    embrace the confusion

You seem to have one of those browsers that "helpfully" converts the URL to an HTML link when you paste it. If you manage to post just the URL it'll auto-embed.

On an unrelated note:

This bugs me on a number of levels.
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2017-05-09 13:18:52
    embrace the confusion

You seem to have one of those browsers that "helpfully" converts the URL to an HTML link when you paste it. If you manage to post just the URL it'll auto-embed.

That's what I tried first, but then it looked like it just made a blank post, so I linkified it

PS got it working now, thanks
  • ^^ why does it bug you?

sign seems pretty clear to me

there are probably three lanes
    Nonstandard layout, nonstandard typefaces, and honestly, it seems like too much information for one sign. I would have put the lane assignments and the route numbers/street names on separate signs instead of combining them like that.
    Also, it's never applied consistently one way or the other, but I feel like "Dublin-Granville Rd" should be hyphenated since the idea is that it runs from Dublin to Granville.
    Comparison time!

2016 (via Google Maps):

Now:
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion

Also, it's never applied consistently one way or the other, but I feel like "Dublin-Granville Rd" should be hyphenated since the idea is that it runs from Dublin to Granville.

It's best endashenated: Dublin – Granville Rd

I actually kind of like the font, except for the route numbers. And the "left/center/right lane" legends really should still be in all-caps. And those lane-assignment panels should probably be black on white, not white on black.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    A day or three ago I was coming home from the Toledo area and on I-75 I noticed distance signs listing far-off cities on the bottom line, including:
    • Lexington
    • Atlanta
    • Tampa
    Going north through that same stretch, I'd noticed a sign giving the distance to Detroit, but that didn't seem too out-of-the-ordinary at the time.
    Heh. It's that weird category of signs that serve little practical purpose, but give travelers that small satisfying moment of "hey, only 600 miles to Atlanta, if we kept going!"
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2017-05-17 05:11:53
    embrace the confusion
    There's probably a fairly decent volume of traffic that's actually going that far, particularly in the spring & summer.  I once saw a traffic jam in Chattanooga where cars with Ohio and Michigan license plates formed the majority.
    The reassurance assemblies on E. Broad Street between Nelson Road and Downtown have changed a couple times in recent years.

I remember as far back as the early 2000s, they were

[SOUTH]
    [US 62]
    [WEST]
    [SR 16]
    [WEST]
    [US 40]

Then, sometime around 2015-16, they were replaced and instead became

[SOUTH]
    [US 62]
    [WEST]
    [US 40]
    [SR 16]

And now they're

[WEST]
    [US 40]
    [SR 16]
    [US 62]

So the shields are still in the wrong order—obviously US 62 should supersede SR 16—but at least they figured out that it doesn't make any sense to have that particular stretch of 62 signed NORTH/SOUTH.
  • edited 2017-07-23 02:03:02
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I do think I know why the route numbers are in the wrong order, though. With the 2015 signs, 40 and 16 were on the same physical panel. It seems likely enough that when they switched 62 from SOUTH to WEST, they just used the existing sign for the other two routes and stuck a 62 shield beneath it.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I think in ODOT's mind, (if there is such a thing) route 40 "wins" because it's the lowest-numbered US route, but beyond that they don't care about state/US distinctions so 16 is the first runner-up.  It's like, they'd really rather just put 16 and be done with it, but they "have to" post all the routes, and they "have to" pick a US route as the main one when there's a mix of US and state routes.  It's a minimum required deviation from an innate tendency.

And your first example was probably posted from the bottom up, quite possibly not all on the same day.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    The rest area on US 23 southbound in Marion County displays a Franklin County map from 1995. The yellow ink has almost completely faded, and the magenta ink is only about half there.  I-670 still has a gap.  The New Albany Bypass is shown under construction.  A bunch of residential areas, including my sister's neighborhood, are absent.  All the interchanges on I-270 are in their original configurations.  All the railroads say "CONRAIL".  My complaint from several posts ago about how they draw bifurcated freeways is not applicable to this map edition.
    Hahaha, Conrail. Nice.
  • NORTHEAST
    Interstate 84
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    ODOT used to do that with US routes 33, 42, 62.
  • edited 2017-07-24 00:56:12
    CLOCKWISE
    Interstate 495

COUNTERCLOCKWISE
    Interstate 495

MINUS THETA
    Interstate 495

PLUS THETA
    Interstate 495

LEFT HAND CURL
    Interstate 495

RIGHT HAND CURL
    Interstate 495

INNER LOOP
    Interstate 495

OUTER LOOP
    Interstate 495

That last pair is actually a term people use informally.  The first pair is probably occasionally used.  The other two pairs are just things I find more convenient because I'm me and I like having universally-applicable conventions.

Okay, they're not really universally applicable, if you're looking at them from underground, but if you're driving, you're above ground.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    INNER and OUTER have actually been used on official road signs, though I'm not sure if it was ever used on the Wanshington Beltway.
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2017-07-24 02:50:07
    embrace the confusion
    INNER and OUTER as used to mean directions on a beltway is especially confusing for people from Columbus, and for people visiting Columbus from places where that usage is common, because Columbus has an Innerbelt and an Outerbelt and they refer to entirely different highways, rather than different directions on the same loop.

MINUS THETA
    Interstate 495

PLUS THETA
    Interstate 495

This particular pair is completely meaningless when you remember that sign conventions are arbitrary
  • vtk said:

INNER and OUTER as used to mean directions on a beltway is especially confusing for people from Columbus, and for people visiting Columbus from places where that usage is common, because Columbus has an Innerbelt and an Outerbelt and they refer to entirely different highways, rather than different directions on the same loop.

Y'know what I'd love to see: an extra metro line that does a huge loop around the further reaches of the metro system.  For example, one connecting Vienna/Fairfax to Branch Ave.  And probably also going to places like National Harbor/Gaylord Convention Center.
  • MINUS THETA
    Interstate 495

PLUS THETA
    Interstate 495

This particular pair is completely meaningless when you remember that sign conventions are arbitrary
    Well, they're as arbitrary as naming things "right" and "left" or designing clocks so that they run in a circular manner in a certain direction.
    Things that bug me: the double-white stripe here. Presumably it was meant to prohibit people coming from I-71 SB from cutting across to the Fulton Street ramp (signed Fourth Street) when that was open...but it was never restriped when that ramp was removed, so it's just kinda...there.