Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    next they'll just use a box
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    To their credit, they did at least keep the ARIZONA text.
    the arizona text suddenly says utah and nobody knows why

they simplified too much
    (i know the utah shield actually has OH NO THE BEES on it)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I can't get over how Ohio-shaped stuff is as ubiquitous there as Colorado flag stuff is here
  • North Carolina's shape doesn't lend itself well to very much, but Kentucky loves their shape by comparison

not to Ohio levels, but there's a pretty solid presence of the state outline in UK merch and promotional materials
  • I'm from PA state

we come in, the people hate.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    don't y'all have that keystone symbol?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm too lazy to find the link right now but my all-time favorite road sign screwup was when US 400 was marked with Ohio State Route 400 signs...in Kansas.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Utah is a great shape for drawing.  Easy to draw, only straight lines, instantly recognizable.
  • Aliroz said:

Utah is a great shape for drawing.  Easy to draw, only straight lines, instantly recognizable.

I was about to say Wyoming and Colorado have it beaten, but then you said "instantly recognizable".

Unfortunately that's all a moot point since they instead use a beehive icon.

I'm too lazy to find the link right now but my all-time favorite road sign screwup was when US 400 was marked with Ohio State Route 400 signs...in Kansas.

The signs in question
    Aliroz said:

This is very true.

I like your beehive highway shields a lot though.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I wouldn't mind if Ohio made a simplified, stylized outline state route marker.  It would solve the problem of every contractor and DOT district apparently having their own distinct version of the route marker.  Or they could just pay attention to this http://vidthekid.info/misc/shape-sr.html
    I don't have a picture close to hand, but my least favorite variant of the Ohio marker is the "geographically accurate" ones where someone obviously just grabbed a clipart vector of the shape of Ohio and threw it on a sign.
  • edited 2017-01-14 04:42:00
    why not just make it an (irregular) hexagon that looks like a double arrow

like, two V's on top of each other, connected by vertical lines on the outside

that's roughly the shape of Ohio anyway
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    That would be too symmetrical.  Also, it's best to leave plenty of room for a number (and margins around the number) inside the outline.  I'm thinking, the Ohio River would be represented by a circular arc that meets the left side of the sign near the bottom, is tangent to the bottom of the sign, and meets the right edge of the sign almost halfway up.  The Michigan border would be a horizontal line an inch or two from the top of the sign.  The Lake Erie shore would be a circular arc starting about one-third horizontally into the sign from the left, dip another inch or two below the Michigan border, then ending at the upper right corner of the sign.

I would mock up several concepts in CAD right now except I really should be going to bed soon.
  • Why is symmetry bad?
    Because Ohio isn't symmetrical.
  • But Ohio doesn't look like the design on the current shield either!

It's just a matter of how close you come. And I'd rather have "distinctive" than "accurate".