Help build my parents' dream AV/home computer setup

So, several product returns and several conversations after previous misunderstandings, I think I finally have an idea of what kind of system my parents want.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve this request by myself.  So, help me help them, please, if you have ideas.

Here's what my mom wants:

* A living-room-size screen.  Something whose display you can see clearly from across the room.  So, like, 50" or larger.

* A device that can do both TV and computer functions.  By "TV functions" I mean that it can accept and display signals from a standard TV cable box, such as through HDMI.

So far, pretty standard.  It's about to get real complicated.

* By "computer functions" I mean that it is basically a computer for primarily web-browsing use.  Checking e-mail.  Checking credit card accounts and paying bills.  Stuff like that.  Also some side programs for handling e-mail attachments, presumably.

A computer requires input devices.  This is a particularly...unique constraint.  If not for this, I'd just attach a standard computer to any modern TV and give her a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.  But no.

* No wireless keyboard.  No wireless mouse.
* Control everything from the remote control.
* Keyboard?  One of the following, please: keyboard built into the remote, or on-screen keyboard accessed by pointing to the letters and clicking them.  (Imagine a Wiimote.  But preferably less shaky.)  If push comes to shove, an on-screen keyboard accessed by a D-pad on the remote may be acceptable.

If this is possible with some kind of smart TV, AndroidTV, desktop/laptop + TV + adapters combo, I don't know it yet.  Please do tell.

As for what my dad wants: I haven't asked him in as much detail yet, but from my understanding so far:
* a large TV.  Basically the same as my mom's request.
* preferably 4K.
* needs to be able to play video from an app called vChannel (you can find it in Google Play or the iOS App Store).  This can come in one of the following ways:
* * Natively can download and run vChannel.  (Note that vChannel is VERY UNLIKELY to be part of any limited selection of apps available on a standard smart TV platform.  Even Roku.  We checked.)
* * Remotely duplicates screen from a phone or tablet.  (vChannel seems to have a ChromeCast button but it may or may not work -- at least not with a tablet running Android 4.1.)
* * HDMI port for attaching a tablet via HDMI (with micro-to-regular HDMI converter on the tablet side).  This is the least preferred option of the three.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    raspberry pi might work out?  it can definitely run both some of the smart tv stuff and android
  • * No wireless keyboard.  No wireless mouse.
    * Control everything from the remote control.
    * Keyboard?  One of the following, please: keyboard built into the remote, or on-screen keyboard accessed by pointing to the letters and clicking them.  (Imagine a Wiimote.  But preferably less shaky.)  If push comes to shove, an on-screen keyboard accessed by a D-pad on the remote may be acceptable.

Whatt???
  • edited 2017-01-06 08:05:21
    I think Vizio smart TVs may have some of the functionality your mom is looking for? the one my parents have has a lil app bar at the bottom for things like youtube and such, I can do some sleuthing tomorrow to see what all is down on that bar because usually I'm just after the netflix button. The remote does have a full keyboard+D-pad when you slide it open.

https://www.vizio.com/via-apps <-relevant i think, to things like email client etc
  • Yeah, I was thinking Vizio might be a good call too, if your mom is okay with the idea of a tablet acting as the TV remote. You might still need a PC for everything she needs, though; a Chromebox or one of Intel's NUCs might work.

(Why no wireless KBM though? Not meaning to even be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to why one would be opposed. Batteries?)
  • the web browsing without a wireless setup is honestly the most complicated part of this; getting one of Vizio's TVs with the tablet remote would probably solve most of your dad's needs (get vChannel on the remote and then just mirror it with the built-in Chromecast), but you'd still have to somehow address your mom's desire to do everything with one input device, which... isn't gonna happen if you need the setup to be both a PC and a TV all at once

the Xbone and PS4 both have web browsers built in but both of them are literal trash; I wouldn't wish the couch version of Internet Explorer Edge or Sony's nameless browser on anyone, let alone an older person, and even then, neither is fully featured enough as a computer to work in this situation (though they do address the need for on-screen keyboards)
  • Whatt???

My reaction exactly.
    Tre said:

(Why no wireless KBM though? Not meaning to even
    be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to why one would be
    opposed. Batteries?)

I had originally suggested setting up a desktop computer next to the TV, with wireless mouse and keyboard, but she said that it was too much of a hassle, because it'd involve putting a keyboard somewhere on the kitchen counter, space which is already used for various other things.

I think she basically wants something like a remotely-controlled tablet touchscreen.

Re Vizio TV

We bought one, but then discovered that we are forced to download its Vizio SmartCast app in order to set up the smart-TV features, and it turns out that my mom's phone is running out of space (and I haven't yet had the time to really dive into it and understand why it is), my dad's phone is also running out of space, my phone isn't connected to a Google account (which was intentional on my part), and the tablet that we have is too old (Android 4.1 I think? and it accepts no further updates) to use Vizio SmartCast (which requires Android 4.2 I think).  (We finally solved it when I switched out my dad's microSD card for a larger card and transferred his photos onto there.)

And then, we tried to take advantage of the Chromecast feature, installing vChannel on his phone (which runs Android 4.4, IIRC), but that didn't cast to the TV either.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    If it's any help, you can control newer Samsung smart TVs from a phone app (it works on our 2013-vintage model). It won't work if the TV is turned off, though.