Atlanta or Boston?

edited 2016-12-14 07:30:02 in Chocolate
Which market is the best to have an ABC O&O in?

Atlanta is the home of Turner Broadcasting and the future home of ABC Warner East (née Turner Field), while Boston allows ABC Warner to capitalize on the local ad revenue garnered during the New England Patriots games ABC carries. That, and Boston completes the BosWash corridor for ABC...its top-ten markets, at least (#1 New York, #4 Philadelphia, #7 Washington, #9 Boston)

The thing is that these two goals are at odds. Cox owns the ABC station in Atlanta and the Fox station in Boston. Cox is likelier to sell the latter than the former. The former would probably need me to move ABC to another station in the market.

Cox also owns the ABC affiliate in Orlando, another market where I would like an O&O, due to the future Warner City theme park/studio complex being located along I-4.

Comments

• Atlanta is where Desiigner has broads so I would say there.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'll vote Boston.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Bostlanta
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Why Boston?
  • edited 2016-12-14 07:45:14
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Bostlanta

Not Bostwauklanta?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Why Boston?

It's just a city that's always seemed interesting to me.
    is that why you were obsessed with the Boston Marathon bombing?
    maybe
  • um, the obvious solution here is to just buy Cox and sell the stations you don't want

(i'm kidding)
    they're too big
    also I would prefer to avoid owning stations in every top ten market
    i know you were kidding but it's a concern
  • also, obligatory because I'm immature

(yes, I'm going to think of this any time you mention Cox now, I don't make the rules)

well, Fox IS the reason Cox has a station in Boston
    also I'd have to change WFXT's callsign if it became an ABC O&O, because I can't think of an easy way to take WCVB off Hearst's hands
    What should I even call the Boston O&O?

There's a wealth of things to choose from...WHUB (Boston is called "The Hub"), WBNE (Boston and New England, or Warner Bros. New England), WREV (American Revolution, or Paul Revere)...

Atlanta has way less to choose from. WGIV (Georgia 4), WADX (ABC Dixie), WBTG (Warner Bros. Television Georgia)...
    I really like the "Rev" angle, but I worry about confusion with MLS's New England Revolution...
    Boston is a bigger market than Atlanta but both are strategically important. Dallas is strategically important by my own doing; when ABC bought Belo, it inherited the company's headquarters building and chose to put it to use.

The obvious solution would be to sell or swap ABC's O&Os in Dallas and/or Washington for a more strategically valuable station. But I have a hard time parting with the Washington station, given how much I envied NBC and Fox for having O&Os there.
  • edited 2016-12-14 23:58:47
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't know, I feel like abandoning WSB is a sign that I have been consumed by Greed.

By all accounts WSB's news product is tabloidy shit but it gets ratings out of habit and it bolsters ABC. Letting CBS go to WSB or something would be extremely stupid, I fear.