A better political alignment system

Since "liberal/conservative" by itself often runs into problems it can't describe very well, and even the combination of "authoritarian/libertarian" and "economic left/right" doesn't properly describe some things (it more so aims for describing top-level issue alignments rather than some more basic facets of human thinking), I figured I'd try my hand at making a system.

Some possible axes:

* stability vs. disruption
This is basically a measure of how quickly you want the world around you to change.  Some people prefer reliable conditions that follow expectations while others want a more dynamic existence, becoming agents of change themselves through supporting social movements and aiming to create disruptive technologies.  This is often closely related to one's opinion of one's own current "status quo".
Inspired by D&D's "law vs. chaos" scale.

* collectivist vs. individualist
This is vaguely similar to a classical left vs. right scale, but still different.  This expands and changes the scale to a more philosophical consideration of one's place in the world -- is your outlook more about yourself and securing/advancing your identity and place in the world, or is it more about joining and/or accomplishing something larger than and less specifically about yourself?

* brutish vs. enlightened
This is a measure of how much you feel the world is a "dog-eat-dog" place ("brutish" comes from Thomas Hobbes's description of the "state of nature" -- "nasty, brutish, and short"), where it's advantageous to put down others so they don't take your spot/stuff/etc., versus a world where being nice to people and forming friendships gets you ahead.  Probably needs a better name.

* competitive vs. cooperative
Pretty straightforward idea: whether you prefer working with or working against other people.  I'm not sure how this and the two above it interact or are similar to each other.  There seem to be some distinctions between them but I haven't yet figured out exactly what, or how best to tease them apart.

* involvement vs. noninvolvement
This is a measure of how much a person desires to engage in governance activities.  This may vary based on the issue but can often be described by such things as "willing to get involved in most issues", "select issues only", "casual involvement", or "noninvolvement".  Note that noninvolvement often means that people are willing to leave governance to others, such as experts.

* intuition vs. learnedness
This is a measure of how much you feel that the world ought to make sense intuitively and based on your own "gut feeling" versus being something more complex and to be understood by keeping an open mind and attempting to reconcile apparently contrasting perspectives on things (and perhaps even challenging oneself by creating them).

Comments