The Warner Bros. Winter Clearance Sale

Warner Bros., as a result of various mergers and acquisitions through the years, owns too many goddamn movies. I'm debating whether or not I ought to sell off the Miramax, New Line Cinema, or United Artists catalogs, and I'm leaning towards putting the New Line assets on the block.

This despite New Line's ownership of Austin Powers. Austin Powers and Shrek being under the same roof brings me much joy. Also, Dr. Evil is forever.

But leaving Austin Powers out of a sale of the New Line properties feels weird and kind of frivolous.
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    doesn't New Line also have A Nightmare on Elm Street? Freddy will cut you up in your dreams if you do this
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You think Freddy minds being sold again? It wouldn't be the first time he's had to meet a new boss...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'll give you $7 for the Looney Tunes
    *locks the Looney Tunes property up behind a big metal door with the WB shield on it*

No sale.
    I can't help but feel that selling off New Line Cinema is foolish though, even if it is the easiest way to "compensate" for ABC Warner's purchases of MGM and DreamWorks Animation.

(Kind of weird how the real life New Line seems more functional than the "main" Warner Bros. Pictures!)
    (Everything good about WB/Time Warner came from Turner)
    so yeah how dumb is dumping New Line?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't think it's dumb
    I don't know

I feel like ABC Warner has to sell something in order to "make up" for buying MGM and DreamWorks Animation, but, like, New Line's back catalog includes The Mask, and Austin Powers, and the LOTR movies, and Elf, and A Nightmare on Elm Street

(Most of those are either too strongly tied to their stars or were just licensed properties, with Freddy being possibly New Line's only versatile, bankable character)