genres I'm not fond of for reasons I can't quite articulate

*Historical fiction
*Adventure games

I'm goin to bed, discuss reasons why you think I wouldn't like these genres while I'm asleep

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The former because most historical fiction is somewhat ponderous and dull due to a lack of character focus; and the latter because you have objectively terrible taste in video games and should be flogged in public.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    999 is an adventure game
  • kill living beings
    the former because you have objectively terrible taste in books and should be flogged in public

the latter because even now, gabriel knight 3 is a bad game
  • The former because the real world is bad and fiction should have as little to do with it as possible.

The latter because idk, soup cans or something.
  • The former because...

...ehh, I can't do this joke because I'm really not that familiar with your actual tastes.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    define "adventure games"
  • Adventure games kinda bug me because of the lack of a consistent reward structure? Your reward for playing the game well is... seeing more of the game and that's it. There's not enough emphasis on actions that are systemically satisfying of their own accord. Not that every game needs such a thing; 999 would've felt odd if it gave you points for playing well.

I think there's also the fact that adventure games tend towards a very mentally taxing style that doesn't give enough break time; the breaks in 999's structure were part of why I appreciated it.
  • edited 2016-10-24 08:20:18
    Come to think of it, that's part of my issue with many WRPGs in the Infinity Engine tradition, games like Dragon Age and Pillars of Eternity which require a loooot of mental strain with little downtime.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Have you ever played any of the Myst games? Because part of the appeal is that there's no serious time crunch. You just wander around and figure stuff out to progress. Grab a snack, pause and come back later, you're just strolling around mostly empty worlds, doing whatever.
  • edited 2016-10-24 17:33:57
    I'm quite fond of exploration games, actually, since they're mostly about the satisfaction of engaging with a system rather than any sort of externalized reward system. Although I will say that time crunches as in literal time pressure isn't necessarily what I'm talking about; it's more that it's a genre with a relatively high density of sequences where you have to be fully mentally engaged in the mechanics with significantly less focus on periods of time where just playing the game with no regard to skill or understanding is satisfying of its own accord.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Halloween said:

Adventure games kinda bug me because of the lack of a consistent reward structure? Your reward for playing the game well is... seeing more of the game and that's it. There's not enough emphasis on actions that are systemically satisfying of their own accord. Not that every game needs such a thing; 999 would've felt odd if it gave you points for playing well.

I think there's also the fact that adventure games tend towards a very mentally taxing style that doesn't give enough break time; the breaks in 999's structure were part of why I appreciated it.

Well in my experience, adventure games I like tend to have areas go into two separate phases, the first of which is just "walk around and talk to everybody and look at everything while maybe solving one or two easy puzzles" and then there's the latter half which is "Put what you've learned together" which is much more mind-intensive