"The moral in South Park is that the truth is always in the middle"

Not true! Sometimes they take the straightforwardly wrong side of a debate. Sometimes they take the right side, but long after it'll mean anything to the audience they have. Sometimes they take no sides and it's just an episode about queefing or something

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I am down for hatin' on South Park, but I demand accuracy!
  • South Park's political position is libertarian apathetic.

South Park's political position is libertarian apathetic.

Yeah that's true.
  • south park yaoi
    That exists, I guarantee you
    Google has taught me South Park has an episode about yaoi
  • oh I know it does, had a friend who drew it in high school

made AMVs too
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    CarnEvil said:

I am down for hatin' on South Park

I have a complicated relationship with the hatin' on South Park, tbh
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "libertarian apathetic" is a good way of putting it.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

CarnEvil said:

I am down for hatin' on South Park

I have a complicated relationship with the hatin' on South Park, tbh
    Same, honestly.
    what is it for you? mine is of course South Park's regional origin and focus
    I haven't entirely thought my thoughts out yet, but Matt and Trey grew up and became popular when it was cool not to care, then insulated themselves so they never had to change, so now they're out of touch.

People seem really angry at them for this, and I don't entirely get that.

(I'm pretty sure I would like South Park much less than I once did if I tried to watch it today, but still...)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    South Park is very much a product of its time; it just seems to have forgotten that it's not 1997 anymore.
  • Delirium said:

I haven't entirely thought my thoughts out yet, but Matt and Trey grew up and became popular when it was cool not to care, then insulated themselves so they never had to change, so now they're out of touch.

People seem really angry at them for this, and I don't entirely get that.

(I'm pretty sure I would like South Park much less than I once did if I tried to watch it today, but still...)

it's annoying because people still treat South Park like a Big Important Art Thing (which it's not) and a brilliant show that only produces the highest quality of satire (it isn't and doesn't) and that the opinions expressed therein are The Right Ones and should be taken as profound truths (they aren't and shouldn't).

Saying that the creators "grew up in another time" is technically true but it doesn't really excuse the incredibly lazy politics South Park has.

It's also just not very funny.
    See, that's the kind of invective that makes me want to defend them, although again I'm pretty sure I'd dislike the show these days.

I acknowledge that's my own problem, though, and I'm sorry for contaminating this thread with it.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The real lesson of South Park is that I do not have the ability to kill through sheer force of hate, and that no matter how hard I try, I cannot do magic or wishes.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Or, more soberingly, the lesson is that there is an audience for satire and filth. Also, that the economic forces driving the mass-media are far more significant to this world than any sense of standards, and far bigger than any influence I, or almost any individual, can exert.
  • The moral of South Park isn't necessarily that the truth is in the middle, so much as that everyone ever is idiots and it's fun to mock them.
  • And yet their ire inexplicably seems to always come down on trans people, environmentalists, social justice advocates, and left wing people in general. Yeah, they poke fun at backwards right wingers, but they only truly criticize the left.
  • Also Sec, trust me, defending South Park based on fuzzy memories of it is a fool's errand. A lot of that show is actively repugnant on rewatch the Ms. Garrison arc being probably the standout example.

I mean, I'm not denying that it had great episodes or even that it wasn't consistently hilarious. But it's always had bad politics, and it's only getting worse.
    the best parts were when kenny died
    They hate conservatives but they really fucking hate liberals

They were the chapo trap house of their  day
    yeah, this is where that complicated relationship comes into play

on one hand, we're so starved for any kind of pop cultural representation that we love South Park just for that, but on the other hand, the bad politics? the self-righteousness? it's because Colorado is, deep down inside, a shitty redneck state, and the "native vs. transplant" thing seems to reflect that, though this state's superiority complex manifests in ways besides that too
    Halloween said:

Also Sec, trust me, defending South Park based on fuzzy memories of it is a fool's errand. A lot of that show is actively repugnant on rewatch the Ms. Garrison arc being probably the standout example.

I mean, I'm not denying that it had great episodes or even that it wasn't consistently hilarious. But it's always had bad politics, and it's only getting worse.

Mr./Ms. Garrison was honestly primarily what I was thinking of when I said I wouldn't like the show now.

With regards to fuzzy memories, I admit I've felt the same on Dilbert as of late. 
    honestly even before the Ms. Garrison thing there were things that were pretty nasty

the ending to "Jared Has Aides," the treatment of Butters in "Good Times With Weapons"
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I recall the Rock Band one being a pretty spot-on parody of that kind of narrative, so it's not like they're entirely incapable of being funny.
    I think the episode where they go on a skiing trip is genius.

That said, their impact on the world has been largely negative.
    I will say that they at least haven't ruined a generation's ability to communicate the way a certain other show that is otherwise superior to South Park in every way did.
  • edited 2016-10-16 21:30:38
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I feel like my overall opinion of South Park is that it has its moments, some quite brilliant, but is largely not my kind of show, and frequently indulges in a brand of soapboxing that I don't particularly care for when not simply being rude for its own sake.
  • CarnEvil said:

I will say that they at least haven't ruined a generation's ability to communicate the way a certain other show that is otherwise superior to South Park in every way did.

you didn't go to my high school
    Okay yes, but teenagers will teenage.

I don't know anyone who's still making Austin Powers or Borat jokes
  • CarnEvil said:

MY WIFE

CarnEvil said:

MY WIFE
    Except for that, which people have maintained for some completely unknown reason
    machine gun jubblies
    CarnEvil said:

CarnEvil said:

MY WIFE
    Except for that, which people have maintained for some completely unknown reason
    Probably because it's easily confused with a reference to the scene in Azumanga Daioh which gave rise to the term "waifu."
  • CarnEvil said:

I do not mean to be unkind when I say this is literally the least true thing you have ever said
  • edited 2016-10-16 21:57:42
    Like blisteringly, astonishingly, remarkably untrue
    hasn't "respect my authoritah" really, REALLY caught on
  • edited 2016-10-16 22:01:40
    As has virtually every obnoxious pseudo-centrist moral of South Park

And ManBearPig
  • edited 2016-10-16 22:01:57
    Double post
    Halloween said:

CarnEvil said:

I do not mean to be unkind when I say this is literally the least true thing you have ever said
    Okay South Park has also done that

Upon thought, you are correct
  • edited 2016-10-17 17:59:56
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    (Full disclosure: I was really only big into SP during the first and second seasons, and even then I didn't watch all of Season 2. Anything after the movie, aside from a few episodes that went viral, is 🙃 to me.) 

Though I did hear about the Ms. Garrison thing, and yeah, that was pretty awful.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    compare manbearpig to al gore's appearances on futurama and you will see that the latter is clearly superior

except the futurama writers actually apparently really like south park so ?????
    tbh isn't futurama better in just about every way
    Yes, it is.
  • And then Rick and Morty so often feels like a better version of Futurama

Yes, it is.

I know this is super-spergy, but I wanted to point out Futurama's top-shelf voice cast as a reason it would be better, even though I find it irritating how the show's fans act like Billy West is some combination of Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Don Messick, and Frank Welker

(Besides, if there's a modern analogue to Daws, it'd be Tom Kenny)
    Don't get me wrong Billy West is great though
  • edited 2016-10-18 07:43:00
    kill living beings
    futurama is less cynical, which is nice sometimes

weird thing to say about a show with president nixon

both are more sincere than south park