"X is smug"

edited 2016-10-07 19:28:48 in Chocolate
No it isn't

Comments

• kill living beings
    So meta-level.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Pretty sure you've done this topic before in some form.
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-10-07 19:41:00
    Not even Apple's assertion that removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 was an act of courage?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    So meta-level.
    So insightful

Oops
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    These kinds of statements are mostly projection, honestly.
    Tiny said:

Not even Apple's assertion that removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 was an act of courage?

That was smug because it was a person doing it, and not a work of art
  • edited 2016-10-07 19:45:27
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tiny said:

As Mayoi Hachikuji once put it, "The courage to betray your friends."
    CarnEvil said:

Oops
    Don't get me wrong, I agree, but it's giving me déjà-vu here...

^^ & ^ Again, exactly.
  • edited 2016-10-07 19:47:42
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Tiny said:

As Mayoi Hachikuji once put it, "The courage to betray your friends."
    As much as I like to defend Steve Jobs, that quote honestly could've gone on his gravestone.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Of course he'd double-cross his friends, his enemies didn't trust him
    Which raises the question as to whose gravestone on which one would put: "The courage to be a lazy bum."
  • kill living beings
    I'm just saying this is... you saw a few smugness complaints, generalized, responded "no". There is no substance
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Which raises the question as to whose gravestone on which one would put: "The courage to be a lazy bum."

Emperor Norton's, of course.
  • kill living beings
    How could be have protected Mexico if he was lazy? The court will not forget this insult
    He was, unlike a certain modern businessman of similar ambitions, actually quite productive and successful for most of his life, and then lost everything. So I would say that it was true in the end in a completely unironic sense.
    I'm just saying this is... you saw a few smugness complaints, generalized, responded "no". There is no substance
    As subject, but also as substance
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-07 20:07:15
    I'm pretty sure "smug" is a perfectly valid descriptor for the works of quite a few authors -- mainly those whose smug is fucking contagious and probably leaves, I dunno, spores or something.  Ayn Rand comes to mind.
    There are valid uses of the term in reference to a strong authorial voice characterised by a particular tone, but more often than not, characterising a work itself as "smug" is extremely presumptuous and has an element of psychological projection going on that I do not care for at all.

I would also say that Rand herself always struck me as more self-righteous than smug, which I think is de rigueur for Russian philosophical novelists in the post-Dostoyevsky vein.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'm not sure who's making this accusation, and it seems kind of baseless to me. But even if it were true, I think if you get Ray Manzarek to produce and play on your album, you're allowed to be at least a little smug.