We're in the frustrating prefixes season

edited 2016-09-22 02:26:15 in General
SEPT IS NOT NINE

OCT IS NOT TEN

NOVEM IS NOT ELEVEN

DECEM IS NOT TWELVE

Comments

• the names of the months are an important cautionary tale about torsors
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm ok with this

Becuase July and August are to blame

But July and August are the best, basically
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Julius and Augustus

fuck those guys
  • kill living beings
    and they stole that bestness from old september and october! ! damn you julie
  • Wait, what is the connection between July and August and the later months having the wrong numbers?

AFAIK the months are named that way because the calendar went from March to February at one point. If anything the fact that February came last is probably why Julius and Augustus picked it as the one to steal days from.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    iirc it's actually jan/feb being moved to the front, yeah, and july/august were originally quintilis/sextilis or something like that
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This is what I get for trusting an elementary school teacher to tell me the truth about history.
  • edited 2016-09-22 06:02:52
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, March was the beginning of the year in a lot of places until fairly recently so the months are numbered from there. Additionally, in really ancient times, apparently the Latins considered the winter a monthless bloc period, and it wasn't until Latium/Rome started to become a state of some note that the winter was divided into January and February and the year's start was shifted to the former.