That 90s trope of movies with high-profile, yet unrelated promotional songs

edited 2016-09-20 09:22:13 in General
With footage from the movie awkwardly spliced into the music video.

Different from the 80s in that the associated music got better, the associated movies got worse, and neither had anything to do with each other.

Tagged:

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I had no idea the first one was even connected with a movie. (And I still want to know where that baby cooing came from; it's a really old stock sound effect, but that's all I know.)
  • (R.I.P. Aaliyah)

fun fact: Genius asked Seal to explain the meaning behind "Kiss From a Rose" and he responded thusly:
    Seal said:

I have avoided explaining these lyrics for over 25 years. I am not going to start doing it now.

• Doesn't surprise me, I've heard he was always embarassed by the song.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • They've gotten a bit more subtle about it these days but it still pops up in a toned down form every now and then

• edited 2016-09-20 22:28:28
    But only in Dreamworks, apparently.

Kind of feel sorry for Smash Mouth for having the bad luck to attach a song to Shrek.
  • (Despicable Me was actually by Illumination. Which, granted, shares ownership with DreamWorks these days, but is still a separate studio nonetheless, akin to Disney Animation and Pixar.)

• speaking of Disney they have a bunch of these made for airing on Disney Channel, for both their theatrical and TV movies
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre said:

(Despicable Me was actually by Illumination. Which, granted, shares ownership with DreamWorks these days, but is still a separate studio nonetheless, akin to Disney Animation and Pixar.)

i'm so glad Universal has decided to keep DreamWorks Animation separate because I was worried it would just become an appendage of Illumination's, or vice versa