"actually Doctor Who is bad"

It's so fucking weird that five years ago, I felt out of the loop because I didn't watch it, but now, nobody cares about it and it seems to be seen as a junky show.

Comments

• i have no fucking clue about doctor who

like, when i was little, it was something that my mom watched

then everyone was watching it?

and then everyone decided it was bad, except for the people who said it was still good, who said it was good for the exact same reasons everyone said it was bad
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I think it's switching showrunners, so look forward to this being portrayed as a golden era and the new era being portrayed as the worst time in show history
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    If the Moffat years are ever portrayed as a golden era I'll scream

(I haven't watched past the Series 7 finale, but man am I not fond of Moffat's run or what)
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Moffat had good and bad episodes same as anyone

and good and bad seasons

idk Myr's right, there's always a backlash when they change showrunners (or Doctors, or companions, or any aspect of the formula, etc.)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's like presidents
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I was ok with series 5 and 6, I think

It was only during series 7 that they started to lose my interest
    what did you like about series 6?
    oh, since I'm thinking about it: the fact that a lot of MLP:FIM fans would not shut up about Who kind of rankled on me
    and no, "Slice of Life" hasn't helped
    series 6 had enjoyable episodes but a story arc that i found uncomfortable and disturbing
    how so
    for some reason the first half of series 7 sticks out to me as one awesome episode after another, while the second half feels almost entirely forgettable
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

series 6 had enjoyable episodes but a story arc that i found uncomfortable and disturbing

This, basically
    why do you feel that way?
    also there was one good episode in series 6 and it fucking ripped off H2G2
  • Series 6 started out really well but then Let's Kill Hitler happened, is my recollection.

To me Doctor Who is Important because it's like the one thing me and my dad are both interested in so we usually watch it together. But like as a show it's sometimes great but mostly just kinda at that "good enough to keep watching but not really very impressive" level.
  • edited 2016-09-17 03:44:06
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Anonus said:

how so

well i mean, the Silence were conceptually quite a good monster, the opening story was strong, The Doctor's Wife was a standout, most of the other episodes had memorable scenes and funny lines

but the story was this weird thing about Amy being pregnant and then she gets kidnapped without knowing it and the baby gets taken from her and this gets just kind of passed over and it's off for more wacky adventures in time like nothing happened and idk it just seemed really off to me
    Let's Kill Hitler was a silly romp, and enjoyable for that, if one ignores the story arc, i think

The Doctor's Wife was not a rip-off of H2G2, and was by far the best that season
    No I mean "The God Complex"
    oh

i didn't like that one very much
  • edited 2016-09-17 03:47:54
    i mean i appreciate that it was quite a well-made story, i just had serious issues with their conception of 'faith', which i felt was inconsistent and a bit insulting

also if it was a rip-off of anything, it was of the earlier Doctor Who story, The Curse of Fenric (which i strongly prefer)
    Anyway I hated the blatant plot hole of how the hell the Doctor could remember the Silence
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think "The Doctor's Wife" was the last episode I payed attention to, because I like Neil Gaiman and it felt more in keeping with the goofy yet sinister weirdness of the original series.
    Tachyon said:

i mean i appreciate that it was quite a well-made story, i just had serious issues with their conception of 'faith', which i felt was inconsistent and a bit insulting

also if it was a rip-off of anything, it was of the earlier Doctor Who story, The Curse of Fenric (which i strongly prefer)

haven't the moffat years involved a lot of pale retreads of earlier ideas
    Anonus said:

Anyway I hated the blatant plot hole of how the hell the Doctor could remember the Silence

was it a plot-hole?  it's so long since i watched that story that i've forgotten the specifics

i remember how it worked, they could remember them whenever they were looking at them, but forgot about them whenever they looked away

i just can't remember if there was any point where he remembered them while not looking at them?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I should really try to figure out which era of classic Doctor Who might be most to my liking at some point.
  • Tachyon said:

Let's Kill Hitler was a silly romp, and enjoyable for that, if one ignores the story arc, i think

It was kind of a bad episode either way imo, but the main problem with it is the same thing you were saying. Like they have this whole thing where A Good Man Goes To War ends on this cliffhanger and they're going to go rescue Amy's kid right? But instead, we just find out what happened to her in the first ten minutes of the next episode and then the rest of it is just River fighting Nazis and that's apparently considered resolution.

It probably wouldn't have been nearly as frustrating if it had aired the following week instead of six months later, admittedly.
    Anonus said:

Tachyon said:

haven't the moffat years involved a lot of pale retreads of earlier ideas
    maybe?

that was the only one that stuck out to me as really glaring
    River Song was a horrible character, like Moffat's stupid OC, saved literally only by Alex Kingston's goddessly acting powers
    Tachyon said:

Anonus said:

was it a plot-hole?  it's so long since i watched that story that i've forgotten the specifics

i remember how it worked, they could remember them whenever they were looking at them, but forgot about them whenever they looked away

i just can't remember if there was any point where he remembered them while not looking at them?

He didn't, but instead found ways to remind himself of them in a way that undercut them.
  • River was fine in the episodes where she was a sidekick and not the main focus, imo. But her "arc" was pretty awful, all told.
    i mean it was different, since the monster's mechanic was actually an inversion of Fenric's, it was drawn to faith, not repelled by it

but in both instances we had the Doctor needing to destroy a companion's faith in him
    i felt like 'the Doctor keeps meeting someone in the wrong order' was a good concept, but everything else about River's arc was crap

River was fine in the episodes where she was a sidekick and not the main focus, imo. But her "arc" was pretty awful, all told.

that's how i felt too
    Yeah, the idea of the reverse meeting sequence was great but executed... rather questionably, but Kingston's acting made her appearances as a side character really enjoyable.
    oh, and, series 8 was popular, but i only really liked two episodes, and they were both written by Jamie Mathieson.  otherwise i found it kind of grimdark and found Capaldi's Doctor difficult to warm to

i loved series 9 though.  it felt like the writers had rediscovered their sense of fun.
    you know

is it wrong that the apparent shift in opinion against the show makes me feel validated?
    idk probably not?

i feel kind of funny about it all, really

i can still remember when i was in my teens and some people at school were saying it sucked and i literally found that the most incomprehensible opinion because it was, to me, *so much better* than anything else on TV, i wondered what people were comparing it to
    I remember initially thinking it was a show mature people watched, then Series 7 happened, everybody quit caring, and I wondered why I bothered
    Yeah, it was more of a thing I tried to like so I could talk about it than a thing I truly loved
    it was a thing i truly loved
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-17 04:27:28
    I think I missed the part where people retroactively decided the show sucks.

There's always going to be a backlash against doctors changing, but I loved Tennant and Smith.  Can't really get behind Capaldi -- written a bit too assholeish, though I guess he got better after I dropped off.
  • edited 2016-09-17 04:28:18
    i'm really confused that you came away with the impression it was a show for 'mature people' though

like, the revived series had the British parliament get replaced by farting aliens in the 4th episode
    People died, the show occasionally dealt with difficult topics, it was a live-action, hour-long drama series...
    then again it also reminded me of Power Rangers...
    Bee said:

I think I missed the part where people retroactively decided the show sucks.

There's always going to be a backlash against doctors changing, but I loved Tennant and Smith.  Can't really get behind Capaldi -- written a bit too assholeish, though I guess he got better after I dropped off.
    Capaldi is a brilliant actor who initially got stuck with really inconsistent scripts

i think some of the time it was writers trying to write him as Matt Smith (see: Robot of Sherwood), and although he's talented, they're just very different and he clearly wasn't suited to that role

he became a lot more sympathetic when they were done with that annoying 'the Doctor despises and acts like a total prick towards any and all soldiers' storyline from series 8
    But he's a Time War veteran
  • Yeah I mean nothing against Capaldi himself.  It was 100% writing issues.
    Anonus said:

But he's a Time War veteran

i think that was partly it?  like, it was redirected self-hate that for some reason hadn't been expressed in the last 3 incarnations despite all of them being post-Time War, or something

i just remember being stunned in that one episode, when the Doctor was being a dick to a woman who had literally just watched her brother die in an explosion, because she was a soldier, and her brother was a soldier, and soldiers die all the time so she ought to get over it.  They were members of a resistance movement fighting a Dalek invasion.

am I glad I quit watching