What makes winter better than summer?

There is no summer version of Christmas. There isn't even a summer version of Easter. No stories of the corpse of George Washington arising every Fourth of July to bless all the good little American children, and to grow cherry trees in their backyards overnight to provide them with a bountiful harvest.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have this long-held fantasy of you and I cuddling under a big thick comforter during a blizzard...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Winter is terrible and therefore we have to have holidays then to make it more tolerable (or less, depending)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The days are too short. The roads can be difficult to drive on. But it's not so goddamn hot out!

I have this long-held fantasy of you and I cuddling under a big thick comforter during a blizzard...

you really love that, don't you?
  • christmas is bad though

winter is better than summer because I live in a place with no air conditioning, but they're legally required to provide heating, hah!

otoh, summer is better than winter because you don't have to wear winter boots
    where I live there's so little humidity in the air that you can wear shorts on a cool day!
    also, Christmas provides us with tradition, and Deepest Lore, and shit

also there are no Rankin/Bass specials about Washingtide or whatever the fuck holiday I just made up
    oh wait that was Fourth of July

there's a Rankin/Bass Rudolph and Frosty special about Christmas in July and it's boring as shit

See what I mean?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Midsummer and Lughnasadh/Lammas Eve were pretty important back in the day.
    how so?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Lughnasadh (1 August) was one of the biggest Irish pagan holidays and Lammas Eve, which aligns with it for what should be obvious reasons, is the first of the big three harvest festivals in English tradition. And Midsummer, or the solistice—so called because "spring" and "fall" aren't particularly old ideas in a lot of places, contrary to what you might think—was traditionally a pretty big to-do in a lot of places because it meant that it was the midpoint of the warm season and a time to give thanks to the gods for all the nice stuff you had so winter wouldn't start creeping in early.