I wish The WB had been more successful

I know I often malign the Warner Bros. organization, but the absence of a television network named for a major motion picture studio that uses its actual logo and shit, unlike Fox, feels like a glaring one to me. Especially WB!
Tagged:

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What would The WB be airing in 2016?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    programming of a much higher caliber than it had been airing previously because it would have tapped into the Warner Force, powered by my delusions
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The WB tried, it certainly did, but I always thought the marketing was a bit too goofy and it had major problems finding its voice (and when it did, it was in shows that did not fit the original "Kiss the frog, baby!" imaging).
    I don't know, I feel like it suffered in a lot of ways from Time Warner being a sprawling behemoth and corporate's lack of interest

Like the network never had any O&Os because of the cablesystems and related cross-ownership laws, and of course they didn't do anything like bid on NFL rights...
    Yeah, it seemed like after the initial big splash, no one really cared much for it. I have to wonder how much of this was office politics between the Lorimar people running PTEN and, well, whoever was running the WB (I'm still not sure which part of Warner Bros was responsible!)
    there was a big splash?

I have a VHS of Top Gun that was recorded off of KWGN in December of 1994, and there were no promos for The WB at all. The month before the launch, there was nothing there.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what about UPN though

what about UPN
    Fox killed it to avenge DuMont, which was Fox in a past life
    It seemed like there was more of a lead up to it here, but then my memory could be fuzzy. They did a lot of marketing after the network launched!