IJBM: Maudlin acoustic covers of pop songs

Comments

• white man with guitar covers of rap songs are worse.

Far worse.
  • edited 2016-09-11 13:03:34
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

I know it's probably heretical, but I actually like both.
  • Jonathon Coulton gets a free pass

That is a statement I have just made
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I like that first song

And the third one
  • edited 2016-09-11 13:10:36
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I feel like Jonathan Coulton, Shearwater, and Weird Al both change the context of the songs they cover to fit their performance, and the performances themselves aren't overbearing. They earned their passes.
  • Jane said:

white man with guitar covers of rap songs are worse.

Far worse.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i feel like the Gary Jules version of Mad World works cuz it fits the mood of the lyrics, somehow
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Also that cover of I Wanna Hold Your Hand is recontextualized for the movie
  • I like Johnny Cash's Hurt better than the original.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Kubo and the Two Strings has a shamisen-and-synthstrings cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" sung by Regina Spektor, and that owns
  • Royal Teeth's version of Heartbeats > Jose Gonzalez's version

both are practically different songs entirely than the original, which cannot be judged by the same standards
  • Kubo and the Two Strings has a shamisen-and-synthstrings cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" sung by Regina Spektor, and that owns

It very much did own, but my perception of that song is forever ruined by Neil Cicierega's "While My Keytar Gently Weeps"
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The percussionist for Shearwater, Thor Harris, was a key member of the most recent Swans lineup, having previously played with Michael Gira in Angels of Light.

Speaking of which:

• Alduin said:

Jane said:

Far worse.

I was thinking more of Ed Sheeran's cover of "Trap Queen" but this works too yes.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Alduin said:

Jane said:

Far worse.

I lasted 52 seconds

The percussionist for Shearwater, Thor Harris, was a key member of the most recent Swans lineup, having previously played with Michael Gira in Angels of Light.

Speaking of which:

I'm sorry but this doesn't work either
  • Jane said:

Alduin said:

Jane said:

Far worse.

I was thinking more of Ed Sheeran's cover of "Trap Queen" but this works too yes.
    I want to see an overly-sincere acoustic cover of "Stupid Hoe".

(I liked "Stupid Hoe").
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Alduin said:

I like Johnny Cash's Hurt better than the original.

That one was really good, for a number of reasons.  The strength of the performance and the quality of the production were a part of it, the basic instrumentation, the fact that it wasn't overwrought.

But what made it really so great was that he recontextualized the lyrics, transformed it from a song about youthful angst into one about an older man's regret.
  • edited 2016-10-25 21:58:11