Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "The Laughing Gnome" is a great song
  • possibly offensive image that i once ran across:

• My dreams exceed my real life
    uuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh
    that ruined the mood
  • now I'm going to have to find that goth guy from last.fm's massive diatribe where he proves that Meshuggah is bad using "music theory"
  • edited 2016-09-05 19:20:27
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yeah we could do without the Actual Literal Racism in a thread like this, thanks
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I thought that image was amusing and I am completely okay with glenn having posted it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    There's racist subtext but it's crap at music theory, history, cultural context, and rhetoric before that even comes into play. It's like talking about Romanian diaspora music and comparing Bartok to "Dragostin den tei".
  • edited 2016-09-05 22:20:20

There's racist subtext but it's crap at music theory, history, cultural context, and rhetoric before that even comes into play. It's like talking about Romanian diaspora music and comparing Bartok to "Dragostin den tei".

Exactly.  The image is horribly stupid -- specifically in a way that's the gist of all these "music used to be better" and "they don't make true music anymore" etc. contentions.

And that's why I posted it.  Because it's wrong in the same way the arguments referenced in the OP are wrong.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I know, I was just sayin'.
  • edited 2016-09-05 22:20:55
    I just wanted to clarify that since a couple people didn't seem to get it.
  • I got it I just have no interest in seeing that exact image again in any context
  • Lil Wayne is better than John Coltrane anyway.
    This thread should be about appreciating The Laughing Gnome
  • And you know what? I was gonna comment on it (and lowkey kind of did in a different thread) but dammit, I feel like it'll be more invigorating for me to appreciate our departed Goblin King's ode to gnomes instead.

This is delightful.
  • The riff during the verses reminds me of Funkytown a bit (though I did go out of my way to listen to that song a few days ago so that might be why more than any actual musical resemblance).

As far as the vocals go, it's the Bowie/Alvin Seville collab I never knew I wanted.