ABC on 31 or ABC on 2?

Which sounds better?

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

imo
  • maybe it's just because I'm from a market with only one broadcast station (Fox) with a number above 30 (and Time Warner moved them all to the single digits and early teens anyway) but it doesn't feel right for the broadcast stations to go past 30 for me, that's cable territory

there's no rational thought behind this, but still, 2
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I was leaning 2 too

But did you know that in the Piedmont Triad ABC is on channel 45? (Thanks to Fox!)
  • where I grew up PBS was on channel 2
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'd also say 2.

It's literally the first available number, so...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

funny how you say this, because this was triggered by a thought experiment about if NBC ended up on that frequency in Philadelphia due to Michael Eisner-related shenanigans and that didn't happen in real life but one consequence of what NBC really did was STICK ABC WITH SHITTY KMGH AS AN AFFILIATE because NBC wanted nothing to do with them!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You don't seem to like KMGH anymore
    The two things they crow about are their investigative department (which was better under McGraw-Hill) and how they poached weatherman Mike Nelson away from KUSA in fucking 2004. They have even gone so far as to brand him "Colorado's Weather Guy" in the last three years or so.
  • every time "McGraw-Hill" is mentioned I think of textbooks
    The thing about them is that if they just focused on meatier, more substantive stuff, they might have a niche, but they chase after flashy bullshit too much and fail. That and McGraw-Hill didn't give a shit about their TV stations, and Scripps sucks now.

every time "McGraw-Hill" is mentioned I think of textbooks

Yes, they were a textbook publisher (were because the company sold its textbook business off shortly after they sold their TV stations and renamed themselves McGraw Hill Financial, then S&P Global)

every time "McGraw-Hill" is mentioned I think of textbooks

They used to own TV stations

Thus the callsign "KMGH"
    Also, one of my problems with KMGH is that they had no stability prior to the mid-2000s or so and their product was, by the time Scripps took over at the end of 2011, utterly lifeless. They temporarily undid that before the revolving door at the top set in, the news director left for their sibling WEWS in Cleveland, and they started floating around without a rudder and watered down the news product even more and instituted an ugly "Denver 7" logo.
    What's happening to 7 now feels eerily similar to Tribune's brief misadventure with KWGN as "The Deuce" in 2009-10.
  • edited 2016-09-05 19:17:00
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    But of course I have pretended to own KMGH since 2010, and even went so far as to rename it KMYL. The news department still has glass bones. Fucking KDVR (31) and KWGN (2) have between them stronger bones. It can't possibly be because Fox and Tribune are/were more capable operators than McGraw-Hill.
    And did you know that KDVR's news department has only existed since 2000?
    Anonus said:

But of course I have pretended to own KMGH since 2010, and even went so far as to rename it KMYL. The news department still has glass bones. Fucking KDVR (31) and KWGN (2) have between them stronger bones. It can't possibly be because Fox and Tribune are/were more capable operators than McGraw-Hill.

See, things like this are where the line between fantasy and reality confuses me

Because, like, if you're pretending you own the station, why didn't you just pretend you turned it around and made it wildly successful?

I don't quite understand
    Because I'm a ditz who doesn't know how to compete. It doesn't help that KMGH was ABC's first-ever reclamation project - as the network is averse to buying stations and owns only strong performers, it doesn't have any.

Someone I know says KUSA's edge is in its community outreach despite the crappy product (and holy shit does it suck - they cover news in the dullest, most robotic way I can imagine, and a lot of the chemistry between presenters feels corny as hell). Even KCNC does more of that than KMGH does. I did think about broadening the programming on the station beyond just news, like how local TV used to be, though. It's just that my ideas all suck.
    KUSA was ABC's affiliate in Denver until NBC stole it from us. They sacrificed KCNC to CBS in part so they could upgrade.
    I still don't quite understand.

Like, if I fantasized about owning a TV station, I would be all "oh no, we're in third place in this market!"

Instead, I'd be all, "ok, I came in and changed things to the way I'd like it to be, and oh look now we're rolling in the money!!"

I just don't quite understand what the point of a fantasy about remaining mediocre is supposed to be, I guess.
    then again, KMGH can't possibly be as tough a project as KDVR was for Fox

they bought that station in 1995 solely to strip it of its affiliation, move to KWGN, and sell it to Qwest Broadcasting and stick it with KWGN's WB affiliation. But that did not come to pass, so Fox was stuck with a UHF station with no local news. They built them a big new building, and built a news department from the ground up. By the time it launched in 2000, KDVR became the last Fox owned-and-operated station to air local news (the second-to-last was WFXT in Boston, whose news department launched in 1996. WFXT's own history indicates that it was not necessarily Fox's first choice either).

I still don't quite understand.

Like, if I fantasized about owning a TV station, I would be all "oh no, we're in third place in this market!"

Instead, I'd be all, "ok, I came in and changed things to the way I'd like it to be, and oh look now we're rolling in the money!!"

I just don't quite understand what the point of a fantasy about remaining mediocre is supposed to be, I guess.
    Channel 7 is intrinsically mediocre to me. The most recent era of greatness to return to was in the fucking 1970s.
    Also they inhabit a tiny-ass building that there is no room in tightly-packed downtown Denver to build a replacement for. All the major stations are located along Speer Boulevard, and there is no room there to build a new building unless I knock down the current one and replace it with something else.
    But it's your fantasy. It doesn't matter if the real-life channel 7 is mediocre, your fantasy version can be as great as you like!
    That building Fox built for KDVR is enormous. It looks important.
    Oh oops I forgot that KCNC isn't along Speer. Their building still isn't a bureaucratic Brutalist fortress though
    Denver is/was fucking full of Brutalist shit. As a little kid I hated it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I didn't know what Brutalism was as a kid, but I'm sure I would've loved it.
    it just creates such harsh-looking buildings
  • It's not like crazy modern architecture is necessarily any better.  lol Frank Gehry

At least it's functional.  Even if sometimes lacking in light-entry surfaces.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    There are a lot of beautiful Brutalist structures. Particularly in Ohio for some reason.
  • I personally enjoy Brutalism.

There are a lot of beautiful Brutalist structures. Particularly in Ohio for some reason.

which ones?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm not good at magically naming random Brutalist buildings off the top of my head but Google exists.
    right
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    that hotel I pointed out on the roadside stuff thread, for one.
    oh yeah, that Brutalist-looking thing!
  • Can someone explain to me what Art Deco is?  Is it basically a combination of "hey, we can make stuff look nice while still being functional and simple" combined with using straight lines and curves and simple geometric shapes to do the decorating?