Why is bringing books to places considered more rude than bringing ipads to places?

Comments

• kill living beings
    if this is a thing, which i'm not sure of, it's because books are more conspicuous, i'd guess
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I've never heard this opinion before.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have not encountered this. Not that I generally carry books around with me...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i haven't encountered it but it wouldn't surprise me if true?

an ipad is sort of like a phone, and it's much more usual to be checking your phone than reading a book

would be my reasoning, anyway

reading a book at a social event is considered rude but checking your phone is usually not
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

i haven't encountered it but it wouldn't surprise me if true?

WOULD SURPRISE IF TRUE.

Anyway I have like never encountered this before, somehow. So I dunno.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    who thinks this way? I shall smite them.
  • who thinks this way? I shall smite them.

i shall supply you with twelve-volt batteries to aid in your quest
  • Perhaps it's because I'm a college person and the iPad/laptop is all but an omnipresent element of the environment, but I've never thought once that either would be frowned upon.

Maybe if it were a fiction book or otherwise unrelated to a class (like, doing someone else's homework in a class) but I've never seen any professor get mad over it. Some have expressed disdain for phones and the like, but they don't technically have any right to keep us from using them by law, so they rarely act upon said feelings.