It's really weird that Randy Newman is a family movie composer now

Like really weird

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    In retrospect, yes.

I mean, "Short People" is an extended satire on racism and that's one of his tamer numbers.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • edited 2016-08-26 21:24:21
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    To be fair, this seems to be a trend with very strange, often dark comedic musicians, to make music or other art explicitly aimed at children: Shel Silverstein, Trout Fishing in America, They Might Be Giants, I think even the frontman of The Magnetic Fields...
    Yes, but their art for children feels continuous with their art for not-children. Newman's doesn't.

The only work Newman does in his soundtrack mode that feels anything like his album mode is the theme for Monk and maybe James and the Giant Peach
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I admit my first thought when I read the thread title was "wow, how timely"

I mean Toy Story was 21 years ago
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I dunno, the wordplay and cadences are of a piece. It's just that the lyrics are way, way darker in tone. But then, compare TMBG's children's stuff with their really obtuse or sinister material: "Older", "Youth Culture Killed My Dog", any of the "Hotel Detective" songs, "S-E-X-X-Y", "Chess Piece Face", "Ondine"...

He still does it 

He did the score for Monster University
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Because I'll never have a chance to post this Randy Newman-written song again:

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Odradek said:

He still does it 

He did the score for Monster University
    I just meant it struck me as odd to find it weird when he's been at it so long
  • the best song from Monsters U is definitely MarchFourth Marching Band's "Gospel," which wasn't written for the film but might as well have been

I would love to hear that one live, it's such an excellent song