Drowning Backwards Through Babylon - The Haphazard Story of A Return Trip Gone Wrong

If you follow me on twitter, you may have spotted this series of tweets earlier this evening

You may note that these date from 5 hours ago. I assure you that the time I sent out these tweets now feels like another lifetime, long gone and its traces washed off my hands, purged from my mind wholeheartedly. You know how I said driving while sleep deprived at night is a bad combo? Understatement, also, not the full story. My mom also has chronic nerve pain flareups and today her nerves decided to say, collectively, all at once, "hey, fuck your legs in particular". She spent the 5 hours of our drive--a return trip from Ocean City Maryland to our home in Walnutport Pennsylvania a trip that I might add usually doesn't take 5 hours--in excruciating pain, sleep deprived, and barely able to see. This is where I mention that my dear ma is legally considered "night blind" and has had her doctor pester her about getting glasses for years. Her usual excuse is that we cannot afford them.

You know who else was sleep deprived? Me. I have slept for one of the past 36 hours due to a hilariously ill-advised decision to spend all of Sunday browsing /r/UnresolvedMysteries which is chiefly about murders. Somehow this poor decision making did not begin to have consequences until shortly after our 5 hour drive began.

Here then, roughly, is a timeline of our return trip, presented as best I can, in unlabeled bullet points, because I can one-up Cracked at their own game.

• we leave Ocean City Maryland. This is bittersweet as we'd hoped to possibly stay the night but had been unable to find a hotel with cheap enough rooms. This is the most normal part of the trip
  • we exit Maryland and enter Delaware. Let me ask you a question dear reader: have you ever been to Delaware at night? It is horrifying. It is Lovecraftian. I don't know how New England has the reputation as the 2creepz area of the US when Delaware exists. Nighttime in Delaware is a near-deserted highway. To your right is a mockery of the phrase 'waves of amber grain'. They are waves of gray weeds, they go on forever. To your left is the yawning black void that we so foolishly call "The Atlantic Ocean", but which I now know is the mouth of the Dark God Reho'boath. Like all dark gods, he has sinister heralds
  • Fuck Delaware at night. Have you ever seen The Delaware Memorial Bridge at night? No you have not, because there is no such bridge. There are only Slaughter and Dewey, the electric blue giant krakens that serve as heralds of Reho'boath.
  • our family begins talking about Ocean Wheels, certainly not usual subject matter for us.
  • we pull into this fucking gas station to get gas. Has anything ever been more obviously haunted? There was no one there, the lights were on, and there was a Help Wanted sign in the window.
  • mom stops being tired and starts being Tired, this is an important distinction
  • we pull into a McDonald's in order to use the restroom and get some caffeinated beverages to keep ourselves awake on the drive home. The McDonald's literally closes as we pull up.
  • we pull into a Wendy's instead. I am still next to the result of this decision. A delicious cup of diet coke. It is the last good thing that will come to me during this trip
  • the kids need to use the restroom. Mom tries to pull into a gas station-adjoined convenience chain called Dash-In. Somehow we get lost for two hours in a Target parking lot.
  • I stop being tired and start being Tired. Important distinction.
  • We cross into Pennsylvania. I fall asleep for two minutes and mom gets lost in King of Prussia for an hour.
  • as a result of Being Tired. I come to the conclusion that the song "Cheap Thrills" by Sia is cursed as a result of its opening couplet (something about crashing into walls IIRC. Not a great thing to aspire to when driving) and turn off the radio whenever it or a song that I cannot tell apart from it comes on.
  • as a result of Being Tired, I am fairly certain that a Yield sign waved at me
  • as a result of Being Tired, I am so freaked the fuck out by my mom's singing along to a specific song that I am nearly driven to tears and beg her to stop (she does)
  • we pull into a Wawa to use the restroom and for mom to get a coffee. At some point, Wawa's shipment truck, as a result of its doors being opened just so, has the nonsense phrase "Fresh moo ke Waw" on it. This is quickly declared The Funniest Fucking Thing Of All Time
  • billions of years in the future, we make it home to carbon county
  • I, realizing I am still not "not Tired" and am still kinda hearing auditory hallucinations at the very least, comfort myself by eating the last two slices of a Pizza Hut pizza. This pizza is a story all its own
Tagged:

Comments

• things that I had to omit from this list: the laser crab

mom: I'll have put over 9,000 miles on this thing in 4 months
    entire rest of car, breaking down with hysterical laughter: IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    are you okay?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The weird places the mind goes when sleep-deprived, particularly on very long drives with other people who haven't slept and are in chronic pain, can be very strange and unnerving indeed, especially at night.

You want a hug?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yikes

I hope you're doing better by the time you read this
  • Yes hugs are good

I just slept for about 10 hours so I think I am better now. Though I am still kinda tired.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Yowtch D:

Driving at night while completely sleep deprived is fucking terrifying. The times I've had to do it have been awful. Hallucinating shapes, things going out in front of your car, hearing honks and things that aren't there.... *shudders*
    *hugs for the Jane*
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah, riding in a car late when sleep-deprived has been one of my nastier and more uncomfortable experiences. Sorry about that, Tiny Witch.
  • Really I was hoping more people would find this amusing.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It was both. Like, I giggled at how you framed a few things, like the gas station, but I've also been there and I forgot it can be unnerving, so.
    I found it highly amusing but I still worried for your sanity.

Also, is that... a Joan Didion reference in the title?
    What was the Wendy's like?
  • I found it highly amusing but I still worried for your sanity.

Also, is that... a Joan Didion reference in the title?

I have literally no idea who that is so no.
    Anonus said:

What was the Wendy's like?

like every other Wendy's
    Well

Was it new-style or old-style?
    Joan Didion was basically a female gonzo journalist and novelist. Slouching Towards Bethlehem was one of her most famous books, if I recall correctly being this sort of memoir of self-implosion while living in San Francisco and trying to write about hippies in Haight-Ashbury.
  • I think I have heard of that book but I certainly have never read it.

I just came up with something random, sorry.
    Should I not?
  • it's just kind of odd to me that that's the thing you singled out about my whole experience was to ask what the Wendy's we were briefly at was like.
  • kill living beings
    the title's from yeats. there's also a game called slouching towards bedlam, an EP called slouching towards liverpool, and an annoying looking book called slouching towards gomorrah. we are just clouching in all directions frankly
  • but to answer your question it was literally the same as every Wendy's I have ever been to, down to the bathrooms. I don't know if that is old or new style.

it was adjoined to a Chili's? I guess that's interesting. You couldn't actually get to one by the other though they were just like connected on the side.
    Well

It was the first thing I formulated a thought about

Well actually the first was wondering what gave Delaware its otherworldliness

the title's from yeats. there's also a game called slouching towards bedlam, an EP called slouching towards liverpool, and an annoying looking book called slouching towards gomorrah. we are just clouching in all directions frankly

I know that. It's just that in this context it reminded me of the Didion book and her penchant for astringent observations and I found the symmetry amusing.
  • i got ya symmetry right here :gestures to genitals:
  • Anonus said:

Well

in all honesty I think it's mostly just that there are no highway lights at all. Not even like reflective tape on the roads.
    Jane said:

Anonus said:

Well

in all honesty I think it's mostly just that there are no highway lights at all. Not even like reflective tape on the roads.

Fuck, I think I know what you're talking about. There are stretches of highway where there are these fields of grass and they're, like, luminous grey at night, because the only light out there is starlight and headlights and the moon. It's really kind of spooky.
    I haven't been through Delaware in years but I know what you mean.
  • The two most recent times I recall being in Delaware both were in the daytime so I couldn't tell you what it was like at night, but I have no doubt that it is probably Bad

(I don't like having to go through West Virginia on the way to UK because it's racist and flares up my allergies and the mountains [while beautiful] grow stale after a while and kill your cell service.)
    how racist is WV?
  • It's weird that there's racism in West Virginia since it was the only state to secede from the Confederacy to rejoin the Union.

I know that's not how that works but still.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    West Virginia is...well, it's West Virginia.

Anyhow, this was a good story. Someone could make a nice surreal horror piece out of it, probably.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My Dad's family is from West Virginia, albeit the part along the Ohio River that might as well be excess Ohio
    Kinda like how Cincinnati is excess Kentucky
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    yikes...DE 1 between, oh, Bethany and Rehoboth (or Bethany and Fenwick, for that matter) is creepy even in the daytime. x.x
  • edited 2016-08-27 02:03:11
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I also think of "The Boys of Summer" every time i think of that stretch of DE 1, because I remember driving down it with my brother once, and he had that song on his CD player.