People always deride Kansas/Eastern Colorado for being flat and featureless

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I guess it can be depressing to have big open spaces, but I think they can have a certain tranquility to them
  • Well....is it derision if it's just a statement of fact?

Kansas is featureless as hell, my man. Just rollin' plains for miles in every direction.
  • I think I have figured out why they are threads you make are confusing

it's because like

yes, these are things that people say, but they are so rarely things people feel strongly about at all

they're like, vague half-thoughts at the corners of the minds, but you seem to be under the impression that people strongly feel these things
    Jane said:

Well....is it derision if it's just a statement of fact?

Kansas is featureless as hell, my man. Just rollin' plains for miles in every direction.
    well people seem to think that's a bad thing

I think I have figured out why they are threads you make are confusing

it's because like

yes, these are things that people say, but they are so rarely things people feel strongly about at all

they're like, vague half-thoughts at the corners of the minds, but you seem to be under the impression that people strongly feel these things

well it feels like "haha, we grew up Back East where there's trees and lots of healthy, green grass, any place with flat, treeless land is like Hell" (who knows, maybe they're onto something)
    also people who move to Denver seem to think of Colorado as mountain paradise and some are rudely awakened when they end up on the dry, brown plains
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

also people who move to Denver seem to think of Colorado as mountain paradise and some are rudely awakened when they end up on the dry, brown plains

I love the mountains. I love the plains. Colorado has great wonder and beauty.
    also people love to go "lol isn't Ohio/Iowa just corn"

they did not grow up in desert plain wasteland
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Nobody feels strongly about these things but you, I am pretty sure.

Well, OK, my mom hates flat, treeless areas, but that's because she was raised in a hilly rural area with acres of woods and the lack of trees and hills deeply disturbs her. But my mom has weirdly strong opinions about really odd things, and it's not some kind of superiority thing.

Like, seriously, you're doing the fucked up neurotic non-logic "I am pathetic and everyone holds me in contempt because they like hills/football/freestyle machines" thing again and it's simultaneously worrisome and incredibly annoying.
  • edited 2016-08-21 06:15:15
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Shut up and let Anonus's brain self-destruct in peace, Sredni.
    (2015 self)
    Or, rather, do the exact opposite of that, because, you know, brain self-destruct.
  • edited 2016-08-21 06:19:01
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Nobody feels strongly about these things but you, I am pretty sure.

Well, OK, my mom hates flat, treeless areas, but that's because she was raised in a hilly rural area with acres of woods and the lack of trees and hills deeply disturbs her. But my mom has weirdly strong opinions about really odd things, and it's not some kind of superiority thing.

Like, seriously, you're doing the fucked up neurotic non-logic "I am pathetic and everyone holds me in contempt because they like hills/football/freestyle machines" thing again and it's simultaneously worrisome and incredibly annoying.

it annoys me too
    but how's it "non-logic"? I do think you misread a bit with "everyone holds me in contempt" though
  • edited 2016-08-21 06:22:26
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Al.

1. I'm a mod. Telling me to shut up is ill-advised even if I have zero interest in doing anything about it.
    2. AU has expressed an interest in actually dealing with his problems. Thus, he needs to know when he's crossing a line. I point it out to him, he tells his therapist.
    3. Telling people that it is OK to make themselves miserable over things that do not matter does not make them less miserable. It affords them further opportunities for paranoid self-flagellation.
    4. I don't respond this way to valid issues aired in a reasonable manner. You know that by now. So stop it.
    5. It's really hard to tell when you're joking with this stuff and it is late and I'm easily confused so I'm sorry if this was pointless.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I personally enjoy wide-open empty places.

They feel quite profound, the way silence is profound.
    (2015 self)
    It was intended as a self-deprication-type dig at my own past behavior.

It was ill-timed, and poorly thought out, though.

I apologize for sending unclear messages and blurring the line between my own past viewpoint and my self-depricating mockery of the same viewpoint.
    Anonus said:

but how's it "non-logic"? I do think you misread a bit with "everyone holds me in contempt" though

It seems to be a running theme in the weird circular logic of your posts that you are somehow not living a meaningful life because your region and cultural experiences and intellect and person are somehow inferior and contemptible and wrong, and that your life would have more meaning and depth if your interests and experiences were more in line with this bizarre notion of a full and normal life that you have built up in your head. You bludgeon yourself over the head with how everything is better somewhere else based on vague stereotypes about your region that nobody takes seriously and negative magical thinking about how your behaviour incurs suffering on yourself and those that you love.
    oh...

maybe i should mention this to my therapist? i never think to because it's never consciously on my mind >_<
    Aliroz said:

It was intended as a self-deprication-type dig at my own past behavior.

It was ill-timed, and poorly thought out, though.

I apologize for sending unclear messages and blurring the line between my own past viewpoint and my self-depricating mockery of the same viewpoint.

It's OK. I was being dense and literal. I should have caught that the tone of your posts was ironic here but I am extreely tired and, in more of an ongoing way, pretty concerned about this thing with AU, so my sarcasm engines failed me.
    Aliroz said:

Anonus said:

I love the mountains. I love the plains. Colorado has great wonder and beauty.
    i'm currently in a hate part of a love-hate relationship with it but yay
    (2015 self)
    Also, Nonny, if your region is familiar, then my region is inferior, because we live in the same region.

My homeland is dear to me. It hurts when you talk this way about the Intermountain West. I could never survive anywhere else, I am a being of this land, and if my homeland is inferior, than I am inferior.

You're not the only one who cares about the Rocky Mountain States, Anonus. Please stop acting like nobody cares about your homeland. Millions of good people live here, Anonus, and you speak of being inferior because of insufficient media representation, or insufficient mountains?!
  • edited 2016-08-21 06:35:56
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

oh...

maybe i should mention this to my therapist? i never think to because it's never consciously on my mind >_<
    YES.

It's like almost all of your anxieties tie back to this little handful of weird notions about how your way of living is wrong and boring and dumb and other people are having more fun than you and laughing at you behind your back. Some variation on those is the subtext to, like, half of your posts on this forum, and it's kind of alarming and sad, because you're a decent guy and that's a horrible headspace to be in!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Make an itemized list of this and other more-or-less root things we've talked about before, as I have suggested before, and bring them up.
  • I find it hard to hold this sort of thread in contempt bc I have often had similar thoughts myself, just not about the same things (I am still fairly certain that more people judge me for watching moe shows than would actually say so).
  • I grew up in a place where there was nothing special except being Suburbia, USA, except with palm trees.  And trust me, the palm trees get old after a few years of living here.

Only now, as an adult, am I finally learning the actual history of southeast Florida.  Or, more specifically, why my neigborhood seems to have no history.
  • Also, Kansas has been mathematically proven to be flatter than a pancake.

I grew up in a place where there was nothing special except being Suburbia, USA, except with palm trees.  And trust me, the palm trees get old after a few years of living here.

Only now, as an adult, am I finally learning the actual history of southeast Florida.  Or, more specifically, why my neigborhood seems to have no history.

and why is that?

My development was ranchland before it got turned into houses, retail, a golf course...
  • edited 2016-08-21 22:11:35
    It was not seriously settled by white people until shortly after the turn of the 20th century.  Before that, south Florida -- aside from Key West -- was basically considered, by whites, a hellhole full of mosquitos, savages, and "evil" water.  (And unfortunately, the blacks, the Calusa, the Seminoles, the Miccosukees, and others, aren't the ones who wrote down the history of this place as we know it.  There were people who lived in southwest Florida as early as thousands of years ago, but we as modern civilization only recently discovered this, as they were not numerous nor did they leave conspicuous evidence of their presence.)

Yes, @Aliroz, as much as that sentiment saddens me, and as much as it is both racist and anti-environmental, that is really what some people thought of the Everglades hydrological area.

Amusingly, writers in the 16th century thought that Florida was an island that possibly contained mountains, emeralds, and even unicorns.

In fact, the spot where I am standing right now, it used to be part of the Everglades.  And maybe where I grew up too, I think.  I'm quite certain the Atlantic Coastal ridge did not extend past roughly modern-day Cooper City, if it did at all.  (I grew up in Cooper City.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ohio, at least the glaciated portion (which is most of the state) is impressively flat

We do have zillions of trees though

And rivers and creeks

Actually, Ohio's actually really pretty, even if all our lakes are manmade
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    if i go to santa monica pier i can see a mountain from the ocean which is p cool
  • Do you have any of those...darnit, I forgot the name, but it's a really circular lake that's left behind by glaciers?
  • edited 2016-08-21 22:31:20
    also fun fact: most of Virginia's inland bodies of water are man-made...only two lakes are natural.  and one of them behaves really fuckin' weirdly.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Pennsylvania, with its rocky gorges
    and woodland scenery, reminded me
    of Switzerland. The prairie reminded
    me of a piece of blotting-paper.

-Oscar Wilde 
    Seeing that, I had to look it up, and my god, Wilde's observations of America are hilarious.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-22 05:59:00

Also, Kansas has been mathematically proven to be flatter than a pancake.

The highest point in North Dakota is literally a small pile of rocks.

I mean, it's a small pile of rocks on top of a butte, but it's a surprisingly short butte and even the top is amusingly flat.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The highest natural point in Nebraska is Panorama Point.

Quoth Wikipedia, "Despite its name and elevation, Panorama Point is not a mountain or a hill; it is merely a low rise on the High Plains."
    At least there's a rise of some sort. Denmark's highest point is only a tenth that far above sea level.

Granted, at least the area around Møllehøj actually looks hilly:

Whereas Panorama Point, while striking, is a bit less obvious:

I dunno, you decide.
  • kill living beings
    that's... a hill? that's really the highest point in nebraska? what a joke

it's like how my dad derisively refers to east coast mountains as "hills". rockies:hills:that
    To be fair, the point that they used to think was the highest point in Denmark is more impressive, because it actually has a visible slope:

They call it Himmelbjerget—"Heaven's Mountain." It's a cute little mountain.

Nebraska's highest point is simply the highest rise in an elevated steppe. Were it to suddenly drop off to sea level, it would be extremely high up, but it just gently descends for miles and miles in every direction, which makes it look stupidly flat... but also means that you can see a really long way away without binoculars, like, mind-numbing distances.
    Pennsylvania, of course, is all hills just like the ones in southern Denmark, and very German foliage everywhere that hasn't been paved over to build crappy developments on it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Do you see the negligible, barely noticeable upwards incline here?

This is how you get to the part of Columbus called "The Hilltop".

Central Ohio is FLAT.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Pennsylvania, of course, is all hills just like the ones in southern Denmark, and very German foliage everywhere that hasn't been paved over to build crappy developments on it.

So many crappy developments

So many

I think people here just hate trees
    Odradek said:

So many crappy developments

So many

I think people here just hate trees

Never come here.

Philadelphia is fine, of course, and Norristown itself is passable, but out here, god. And then there's the Northeast. Those people wouldn't know nature if it bit them in the face.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-23 01:56:36

Nebraska's highest point is simply the highest rise in an elevated steppe. Were it to suddenly drop off to sea level, it would be extremely high up, but it just gently descends for miles and miles in every direction, which makes it look stupidly flat... but also means that you can see a really long way away without binoculars, like, mind-numbing distances.

It's a little difficult to adequately describe this kind of thing to people who haven't done road trips in the American Midwest before.  There's a damn good reason we call it the Great Plains.

i wonder if they haven't built houses and the sure-to-follow shopping centers full of Subway/Chipotle/Starbucks on that
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-23 02:06:46
    Most likely not.  That kind of land is so remote it's not really cost-effective for much more than grazeland.

Like, this is the part of the country that has unpaved state highways that go for 80+ miles.
    ooh
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's beautiful
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

it's beautiful

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'm suddenly reminded of Dan Vs. (the episode "George Washington", I think) where they drive from California to Virginia, and Chris has a panic attack while they're passing through one of the Great Plains states. Because he has a variation of agoraphobia that's only triggered by prairies.