All the video games I like are baby easy shit for childrens

what are good games I should be playing that feel good and full, like said baby easy games once felt for me?

Comments

• I actually have no idea what level of seriousness this is operating on.
  • Look just go beat Super Meatboy with your teeth.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Jane said:

I actually have no idea what level of seriousness this is operating on.

100%

Mario, Sonic, Kirby, fucking easy Bullshit for children
  • if you want something not quite as intense as Super Meat Boy but still feels Hard™, try On Rusty Trails

and then, when you're done suffering, play Tiny and Big (both are by the same team)

I know I talk about it endlessly but there's a reason for that, it really is a good game
    What differentiates a hard game from a Hard™ game?

Also I didn't necessarily say "hard" I said "good and full"
    Like, takes you to an amazing world, and when you watch the credits, makes you think, "What a Great Game!"
  • Hard™ games, in the context above, would be stuff that seems built to test your nerves with tight controls and difficult but fair level design. You play them and you feel like your screw-ups are your fault rather than the game's.

Hard games (no trademark) are the ones that are just plain difficult. Whether it's fair difficulty or not depends on the game.

my recommendations still fit, though I will warn you that T&B might feel short
    I tried playing I Wanna Be The Guy once and hated it, what little of it I was able to actually play anyway

Maybe I should play T&B!
  • I have never played IWBTG nor do I have any interest in doing so

I can't remember who I watched play it (I think it was Cr1tikal but I'm not sure) but seeing just the first level was enough for me to go "nope, not my thing," and I say this as someone who considers the platformer his favorite genre

I'm of the opinion that a game should be challenging without being cheap or betraying the player's trust, and that game violates both of those criteria the moment you begin playing it. More power to those that have time to deal with that, but I think life is too damn short to bother with it.
  • ...you know, now that I think about it this could be an excellent blog post
  • If you want a full-size (or larger) game with an extensive game world and highly immersive experience, I suggest you look into The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

Jane said:

100%

There are different kinds of difficulty, and difficulty doesn't intrinsically make a game good or bad. I can barely play anything that requires significant manual dexterity or hand-eye coordination, which includes all of the games that you mentioned. But I am reasonably good at adventure games and puzzle stuff, which tend to require a different set of skills, which I happen to actually have.

Like, by your logic, something like Undertale is a cakewalk, and therefore worthless.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus, did you go on 4chan/Reddit and read something that made you feel bad about yourself
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    At least the pink powerhouse is awesome yo.
  • edited 2016-08-20 14:20:12
    Odradek said:

Anonus, did you go on 4chan/Reddit and read something that made you feel bad about yourself

this

unlike what a certain vocal minority of gamers might like people to believe, there is far more to gaming than beating (one's head against a wall repeatedly just to complete) difficult games

(i bet you some of that vocal minority has staked their social turf on exactly that and thus don't want to relinquish its leverage that they have in the limited group that plays like this)
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Anonus said:

what are good games I should be playing that feel good and full, like said baby easy games once felt for me?

Is there any specific genre you want
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    IWBTG is notorious for being unfair, rather than simply hard

i think you're kinda conflating 2 things here maybe?  people who say 'that game is for babies' are usually contrasting with M-rated games ime, whereas a game like Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels is pretty hard by most people's standards

also Undertale has some hard-ish parts, even on neutral mode Flowey is somewhat challenging to clear without dying
    maybe the Dark Souls series is the kind of thing you're looking for?

i only know them by reputation, not played them myself (yet)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-20 15:20:05
    Anonus said:

Jane said:

100%

...Have you actually played some of the challenge levels in Mario games lately?  Like, ever since Galaxy 2 they haven't been remotely shy about busting your balls in the postgame.  I still have nightmares of Champion's Road.

And if you want a hard-but-fair challenge I would recommend Ys -- particularly Ys Origin.
  • Easy =/= bad

Hard =/= good.

There are some games that I find really easy, but I still find them fucking phenomenal to play. And there are games that are just so hard that I rage quit.

Be more specific in what you're looking for.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like easy games
  • Also, have you ever played Mario Kart?

Motherfucking Rainbow Road.
    I used to be great at the original Mario Kart.

But yeah, motherfucking Rainbow Road. On 150cc
  • Mario Kart GBA was my favourite GBA game to play.

Except for motherfucking Rainbow Road.
    I wasn't clear, or was too sleep-deprived, but no, I don't think easy games are worthless

I just feel sad that games don't feel huge like they did when I was a kid anymore
    Also I used to think of Mario Sunshine as not being shy about torturing you
  • edited 2016-08-20 18:45:09
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    You should play Cave Story.

Even the Easy mode is plenty difficult, and it's a good game in the tradition of the Nintendo/Sega games that you like besides.
  • Mario Sunshine was just really badly designed.  It was hard for the wrong reasons.
    what made it badly designed?
    it was?  i remember it being decent, and generally fairly easy
    Anonus said:

I wasn't clear, or was too sleep-deprived, but no, I don't think easy games are worthless

I just feel sad that games don't feel huge like they did when I was a kid anymore
    Understandable.

So I'm definitely seconding Sect's recommendation of CS. Plus it's free to download (I used the original website years ago I am pretty sure, but those should be fine), if you don't want to pay for Cave Story+, which is essentially just an enhanced edition. A very solid upgrade on multiple fronts, and lets you play it both ways, though the original is still pretty great.
    Tachyon said:

it was?  i remember it being decent, and generally fairly easy

some of those parts when FLUDD was unavailable, including that Pianta Village episode, were horrible as a child
  • (PS THE REST OF Y'ALL HAVE NO EXCUSES ANYMORE GO PLAY RAYMAN DAMMIT)
    oh yeah Cave Story is good, and Rayman
    Tre said:
    i'm going to have to use a pc to play that, i think there might be one of those lying around
    say Fuck You to Nintendo and get the Metroid 2 remake. It has multiple difficulties and I assure you that Hard is not trivial.

or play Super Metroid
    Tachyon said:

oh yeah Cave Story is good, and Rayman

ebin

say Fuck You to Nintendo and get the Metroid 2 remake. It has multiple difficulties and I assure you that Hard is not trivial.

or play Super Metroid

Also these.
  • *shudders*

rainbow road...
  • kill living beings
    lost levels is not easy
    I freely admit to being terrible at the original SMB, Lost Levels would destroy me
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    So.... correct me if I am wrong, but what you're looking for isn't an "adult" game so much as it is a game that's more "deep," maybe? Wherein the plot, the setting, and the general atmosphere have a lot going on behind the scenes for you to think about? Mario platformers have a great deal of breadth and challenge, but not so much depth. 

Games that I think would fit this bill:
    Bastion and Transistor, but especially Bastion
    Analogue: A Hate Story
    Morrowind
    Thomas Was Alone (not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but it has a great vibe)
    To The Moon
    Undertale
    Firewatch

Some of these games are pretty "easy" or have no elements of actual danger and are more cinematic. I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, concept, and world behind them all, however. 

That all said, "baby easy" games can be super fun. Like, you don't even know how pumped I am for Yooka-Laylee to come out. :D

To the Moon has virtually no challenge and is almost entirely story, but it's really good and i second the recommendation
    I think of those titles, Firewatch and TTM would be most to his liking. Can't recall the last time AU mentioned being fond of games like Bastion or Transistor or Morrowind (but I still highly recommend the first two in general). It'd help to know what games felt "huge" to AU as a kid, although our tastes likely don't overlap much.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Yeah, I tried to list a variety of types, so that AU could pick which ones might appeal :)
    Yeah, TTM is nice. Pleasant, automatic recommendation for those that like story-focused gameplay and/or like a lack of challenge and don't mind the art, just didn't really resonate with me... I think.

Like I watched it when I was sick as heck, and the time spent watching the LP was time well spent. Ultimately though I was roughly left thinking "I appreciate the craft, and that it didn't overstay its welcome, but I'm ready for something else."
  • I <3 Thomas Was Alone, and actually was just thinking about it yesterday

it's excellent in the story department; the actual gameplay is simplistic, but it's not the main attraction so much as it is simply a means of keeping the player engaged
  • I would recommend Thomas Was Alone in general.
  • edited 2016-08-20 22:15:16
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    "Cinematic" isn't necessarily a good word to me

I loved Undertale but of course it's over now :(

Anyway the Marioverse is huge to me

Deepest Lore/worldbuilding elevated Sunshine over 64 to me
  • If you're looking for depth of worldbuilding, then yeah, RPGs might very well be to your liking.

* The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky + The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    * Golden Sun + Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    * Final Fantasy VI
    * Chrono Trigger
    * and probably many others I can't think of off the top of my head (I very recently recommended Nostalgia to someone who was looking for a game where they could sail to many places)

For more atmospheric suggestion of worldbuilding/lore, try the Momodora series, especially starting with Momodora III.

For a stiffer challenge, try the Ys games.