What are your thoughts on Roman numerals?

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    They are good. I like number systems that aren't the typical Arabic numerals.
  • kill living beings
    bullshit terrible
  • I liked em a lot as a kid because I was better at them than my friends
  • Jane said:

good for numbering monarchs

I would know! 😜
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    They're pretty.
  • also good for numbering centuries
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I always liked to see the copyright years given in Roman numerals on movies and such

I was born in the year MCMXC

They also look great on clocks

Where do y'all stand on the IIII vs IV debate?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    IV, unless it's on a clockface (because symmetry and tradition)
    as for the numerals themselves, i like them, i like how they look

place-value notation was a good idea though
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    usually they're terrible useless bullshit, except when numbering movie or game sequels.
  • I always liked to see the copyright years given in Roman numerals on movies and such

I was born in the year MCMXC

They also look great on clocks

Where do y'all stand on the IIII vs IV debate?

IV because IIII is some bullshit that I do not traffick in.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Big Ben--or, if you want to be pedantic, the clock in Elizabeth Tower that contains the bell known as Big Ben--uses IV, interestingly enough
  • apparently there is not a K in "traffick" and I feel like my life is a lie.
    I figured you were just being silly
  • Well now that I think of it I don't know if I usually put a K there or not because I never fucking say "traffic" by itself. It's not a word that I use often.
    As an aspiring civil engineer I say "traffic" a lot but rarely in the verb sense 😛
  • Roman numerals I through VIII are in alphabetical order. Better than English only going up to two in cardinal numbers, or up to three in ordinal numbers.
  • edited 2016-08-20 08:48:30
    ಠ_ಠ
    I like Roman numerals the same way I like the Greek alphabet: useless knowledge to have that rarely comes in handy.

And my birth year was MCMXCIV
  • Then again, I did do A Level Maths and Chemistry, so I did use the Greek alphabet a lot, and the clock in the living room uses Roman numerals and I was able to tell the time using that when I was five, so...
  • Or should I say, when I was V.
  • Toolsie said:

I like Roman numerals the same way I like the Greek alphabet: useless knowledge to have that rarely comes in handy.

Same.

The sentiment part, anyway. My birth year is MCMXCVI.
  • Toolsie said:

meanwhile my birth year is VIII years before that
    Jane said:

apparently there is not a K in "traffick" and I feel like my life is a lie.

probs cuz there is a 'k' in the past tense 'trafficked' and the gerund form 'trafficking'
  • list of english words where a c is hard despite being followed by e or i:

ascii
    sceptic (also spelled skeptic)
    ...any others?
    I was gonna say I don't count "ASCII" as a word but I guess if "laser" is a word than it can be too
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Uhhh... I've always mentally pronounced "ascetic" with a hard C, and I only just now looked it up and saw it's supposed to be soft.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^HAW HAW
    I like how Android substitutes Droid Serif for Georgia so Meta Four's posts look different even on my phone
  • kill living beings
    MetaFour said:

Uhhh... I've always mentally pronounced "ascetic" with a hard C, and I only just now looked it up and saw it's supposed to be soft.

Shit
  • list of english words where a c is hard despite being followed by e or i:

ascii
    ...any others?

"Celtic".
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

list of english words where a c is hard despite being followed by e or i:

ascii
    ...any others?

"Celtic".
    Unless you're talking about the basketball team, apparently.
  • MetaFour said:

list of english words where a c is hard despite being followed by e or i:

ascii
    ...any others?

"Celtic".
    Unless you're talking about the basketball team, apparently.
    Or the Scottish soccer team, yeah. I believe the soft pronunciation used to be the standard one and it changed around the time people started self-identifying as Celts again.