Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    "Fashion became pop. I can’t make up my mind if that’s a good or a bad thing,” he told Horyn in 2015. “The only thing I know is that it used to be elitist. And I don’t know if one should be ashamed or not to admit that maybe it was nicer when it was more elitist, not for everybody. Now high fashion is for everybody."
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-02 19:09:37
    We're going to make the most unique and attractive undergarments you'll ever wear trashy casual jeans over the top of!

TBH though I half sympathize with ^ this because I get that the uniqueness is a big selling point, but I half hope that its greater accessibility keeps it from getting too wacky.  Because let's face it: high fashion gets wacky, and it feels pretty unfair to see rich douchenozzles running around in dresses made of raw meat while solid designs get passed over as too pedestrian.  Also I feel like luxury goods are best when regular people can afford them sometimes -- they wouldn't luxuries otherwise, they'd just be ways for rich people to give each other fucktons of money.
  • i dont know what i expected when i made this thread
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Haute couture isn't supposed to be worn on the street. It generally consists of straight up art pieces that are meant to be presented on the human body. It's outré because it's more akin to sculpture than day-to-day clothing while also demonstrating the fabricator's skill and tastes as a couturier.

Raf Simons isn't even on the particularly extreme end of things. Some of his work is certainly interesting, and his influence should be refreshing, but it's not like they're bringing in Rick Owens or something.
  • the meat dress isn't even designer fashion it was a stage costume designed by Franc Fernandez, who primarily does costume design for pop stars

anyways, Raf is a pretty great fit for Calvin Klein so even though the writing was on the wall for a while with this it's still very worth getting hyped over

the synergy is pretty obvious, Raf has an eye for picking out eye-catching graphics (his early work is the main reason you see the cover of Unknown Pleasures on shirts everywhere), which is in keeping with the Calvin Klein brand, and he brings with him serious fashion clout (he is one of the most talked-about menswear designers ever full stop), a strong grasp of how to create immediately recognizable clothing without relying on branding (never Calvin's strong suit), and aesthetic continuity
  • here's a random selection of Raf's work over the yeas for reference: