what does it mean to be "redpilled"?

I've seen "redpilled by Moldbug" around here a few times, and now I've seen "redpilled by Daggerfall" on the Steam forums.

What exactly does this term mean?  I presume it comes from The Matrix (which is a movie I haven't seen but I do know the meme about there being a choice between a red pill and a blue pill, one of which is to continue living in an illusion and the other of which is to break out of said illusion, or something like that).

FYI the term is not on Wiktionary (yet).

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Aware of the systematic Jewish feminazi conspiracy lead by Anita Sarkeesian to commit White Genocide
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    *runs*
  • it's the right-wing version of woke
    “Our genuine red pill is not ready for the
    mass market. It is the size of a golfball,
    though nowhere near so smooth, and
    halfway down it splits in half and exposes a
    sodium-metal core, which will sear your
    throat like a live coal. There will be
    scarring.”

• Okay, I'm going to say this.

I meant this to be a straightforward question, looking for a straightforward answer.

This question was not meant to be sarcasm or anything else.

So basically I just got four useless answers.

Sorry, I don't know what "woke" means in this context.
  • kill living beings
    it's the matrix

moldbuggy fuckwads think there's a secret truth to the world, that it's actually run by feminazis or whatever, that's what odradek was referring to
  • Odradek's first post is the correct answer.
  • Odradek's answer was the right one.
  • mine was also right
  • edited 2016-07-25 17:23:10
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Odra's and Inane's posts were correct and straightforward responses; bigoted conspiratorial garbage, and the right-wing version of being up with the times and educated and such.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I maintain that my response was also reasonable

I maintain that my response was also reasonable

It's a reasonable response, but not an explanatory one
  • edited 2016-07-25 18:21:42
    oh gosh it's actually backwards compared to what i thought it was
    Crystal said:

Odra's and Inane's posts were correct and straightforward responses; bigoted conspiratorial garbage, and the right-wing version of being up with the times and educated and such.

so apparently "redpilled" therefore means "shown the [supposed] truth"

that's the opposite meaning relative to what i thought lol

also it wasn't really straightforward, considering i needed to piece together an explanation of the mechanism

now to figure out what "redpilled by daggerfall" means in the context i saw it in
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Further background: Mencius Moldbug (real name: Curtis Yarvin) is one of the most notorious and long-winded neoreactionary bloggers. As a clever troper somewhere humorously observed, his whole way of looking at the world smacks of a Lawful Evil DnD character, minus the magic and swords.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    No, like, Inane's at least was straightforward even if you didn't know the word beforehand. Odra's too showing by example. Anyway, yeah, Vash's reference is pretty accurate too. Try reading him one of these days, or actually don't, he is supremely tedious.
  • edited 2016-07-25 19:10:16
    Crystal said:

No, like, Inane's at least was straightforward even if you didn't know the word beforehand. Odra's too showing by example. Anyway, yeah, Vash's reference is pretty accurate too. Try reading him one of these days, or actually don't, he is supremely tedious.

I only recently discovered the "wokemon" meme and I didn't know the meaning of "woke" and so it just appears to be pictures of pokémon given left-wing speech bubbles.  I still don't fully understand what the term means but I guess now that I know what "redpilled by Moldbug" means I can use naney's post to figure out what "woke" means.

Also, this Mencius Moldbug person seems like someone whose writing would be unpleasant to read.
    "Woke" implies being awakened from the sleep or trance of late-stage capitalism and its hegemony of ideas. It's a common bit of New Left rhetoric in catchphrase form, specifically the Black Power-associated command: "Wake up!"
    (You can also think of it as an extension of "wake up, sheeple" in the really obnoxious cases.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Aside from the Matrix references: 
    1. Democracy is a bad idea and we should go back to feudalism, or even better, an absolute monarch who will totally rule fairly;
    2. No one should have any rights except able-bodied white males;
    3. If we do all of this, it will solve all of our problems and create a utopia.
    Pretty much anyone that promises a utopia should be looked upon with suspicion, of course.
  • lee4hmz said:

Aside from the Matrix references: 

1. Democracy is a bad idea and we should go back to feudalism, or even better, an absolute monarch who will totally rule fairly;
    2. No one should have any rights except able-bodied white males;
    3. If we do all of this, it will solve all of our problems and create a utopia.
    Pretty much anyone that promises a utopia should be looked upon with suspicion, of course.
  • my reaction when some1 advocates glorious absolute monarchism but they are a filthy englishman
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Sacre bleu!
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Read The Silicon Ideology, it's the standard reference article on them