"JKR coming up with new wizard schools is bad"

Comments

• edited 2016-07-18 03:07:47

173.) Moomy Plopfern's High School for Dolts

175.) Dark Arts Technical Institute
  • Other wizard schools were like, a key plot point throughout the series.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Bee said:

Other wizard schools were like, a key plot point throughout the series.

Those ones had slightly more thought put into them than Magic Place, though.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    And weren't as racist as Ilvermorny
  • kill living beings
    durmstrang seemed pretty racist wasn't that part of the point
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hey! hey hey! Get out of my thread with that serious discussion!

*grabs wizard swiffer*
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

yeah

"Our friends from the North"

> is in Bulgaria
  • first off, ain't no way in hell a country as big as the US is going to be able to plausibly have one academy to fit all of the wizards and witches in the country without being the size of, like, an entire city (and even then)

second, all four houses are named after Native American legendary creatures, but the founders are all white and there's no reference to any prominent Native wizards, even though they would be the one ethnic group that would probably know the continent best from a magical perspective

I love HP as much as anyone, but I honestly don't feel like the new parts of the mythos are as well thought out as the original series (which, to be fair, did have to go through a significant amount of revision before publishing it was even a possibility).
  • kill living beings
    People you are courting wizard swiffer wrath
    *murders Tre*
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The concept of an American school having "houses" in the first place doesn't even make any sense, unless it was founded by Brits who happened to cross the ocean.
    *murders Central*
  • i know that feel odra
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i think they should've let key and peele come up with all the american wizard schools
    Calica said:

i think they should've let key and peele come up with all the american wizard schools

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Confirmed headcanon.
  • Odradek said:

*murders Tre*

fucking good, I'm free from this sinful realm of Tumblr and such
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Tre's spirit roams the cosmos

Tre's spirit roams the cosmos

Tre is your tour guide to the cosmoooooooosssss
  • edited 2016-07-18 16:11:05
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Corvina said:

yeah

"Our friends from the North"

> is in Bulgaria
    Where'd ya get "Durmstrang is in Bulgaria" from? It's in Scandinavia somewhere. Bulgarians sailing to Scotland would be amazingly silly.
  • Probably because Krum was on the Bulgarian Quidditch team, which is admittedly a bit weird if he's also attending a school in Scandinavia at the same time.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I mean, it's not really any weirder than footballers playing in British teams and also their own national teams.
    Yeah, I thought it was implied that Durmstrang is in Norway but it's basically the ranking school in northern and eastern Europe so it collects students from all over that area.
  • I still think there should be a school in Salem, Mass. And none of them were ever suspects at the witch trials so they found the entire thing darkly hilarious.

Or not. I am a sucky writer so...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-19 17:17:52
    The American colonies would've been far too sparsely populated in the late 1600s to be worth making a magic school yet.  Salem was kind of a pit stop at the time.

Here's a map.  The square dots are houses -- there's less than 150.
    It could have begun as a very small institution, and only been established formally at the time that Harvard was. Also, wizard houses might only show up on maps in specific circumstances.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    High school girl rebels.