I don't understand why anyone would be an Anarcho-Capitalist

edited 2016-07-09 15:09:46 in General
It doesn't even seem real to me, it seems like a fake political idealogy made up in a Thomas Pynchon novel

Comments

• edited 2016-07-09 15:12:54

sometimes u hate laws but also want to go to McDonalds, u kno?
  • I spy a new sig, thanks Naney :3
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Why not be an Arachno-Capitalist instead?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Corvina said:

• something is wrong with this picture

the spider has 5 eyes
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    you SHUT YOUR MOUTH Muffet is perfect the way she is
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tachyon said:

you SHUT YOUR MOUTH Muffet is perfect the way she is

Incorrect. She is carrying an insufficient amount of crockery.
  • edited 2016-07-10 02:52:04
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Spiders have different numbers of eyes depending on the species, anyway.

And yes, Muffet is great. I would let her tie me up any day.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Okay but the topic
  • Corvina said:

Paging @Vriska.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The topic?

It's a logical progression from late Victorian individualist anarchism and its gradual merger with extreme libertarianism of the Rothbard/Friedman variety. If you believe that absolute freedom is the highest ideal, it's not totally absurd to think that one might consider economic freedom as part of that package; and conversely, I feel like it proceeds fairly logically that the only truly free and unregulated market is one in which all participants are entirely free themselves.
    Okay but

Reality
    (To be quite honest, I've always felt like really hardline free market people who *weren't* basically anarchists or at least staunch advocates for personal and civil liberties were just kidding themselves.)
    Odradek said:

Okay but

Reality

Thaaaaat's not the way to enter an argument with someone with very strong ideological principles. Feel free to think it, but don't be a prick.
    the topic

well, how about . . . a lot of people value liberty above all or almost all else, and a lot of people see taxation as a sinister imposition on their freedoms, and a lot of people incline towards absolute, uncompromising political stances, and this is sort of the intersection of those viewpoints?

i mean that's speculative and clearly very simplistic, but putting it forward as, i guess, a possible explanation and what i've always tended to assume to be the reasoning behind such viewpoints

a fuller account would presumably have to consider historical factors that may have contributed: the politics of the cold war, Locke, social mobility, the Boston Tea Party, neoliberal economics, Rand, etc.
    agh i wrote a rambly post and got ninja'd by a more considered response

Odradek said:

Okay but

Reality

Thaaaaat's not the way to enter an argument with someone with very strong ideological principles. Feel free to think it, but don't be a prick.
    An-caps are not a group I actually feel bad about dissing in a dismissive way because like

Hans-Herman Hoppe

Stefan Molyneux
    I mean I understand libertarians, but, like, Austrian Economics is openly contempuous of evidence?
  • im with odra for a change
  • Haven said:

Corvina said:

Paging @Vriska.
    XXXXD
  • edited 2016-07-10 23:38:23
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Okay but

Reality

An-caps are not a group I actually feel bad about dissing in a dismissive way because like

Hans-Herman Hoppe

Stefan Molyneux

Hoppe is a kook even by an-cap standards, though, given that he basically advocates for tiny private dictatorships with no civil rights. I mean, he's like Boyd Rice if he were unquestionably sincere.

I mean, that's like dismissing anarchism because Bakunin sided with Lenin or something.
    Ludwig Von Mises
    Mises wasn't an anarchist, he was just... wrong, on nearly every level.

I'm not going to pretend that the Austrian School isn't ridiculous. I'm just saying that applying extreme small-l libertarian ideas to a very right-wing economic framework is no more intrinsically absurd than those frameworks, and is in fact far more morally sound to me than applying such economic logic to social conservatism and authoritarian government.
  • kill living beings
    shoutout to richard von mises who i keep forgetting existed
  • i hate those mises to pieces

(The other Jane)
    Wasn't Hoppe the proto-NRxer? If so, I unfortunately would no longer call his views fringe.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sado-anarchism
    Corvina said:

Wasn't Hoppe the proto-NRxer? If so, I unfortunately would no longer call his views fringe.

nrx is still fringe, dude.  trump is running from his own shitty fascist playbook
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Corvina said:

Yes good.
    neoreaction is probably less fringe than it was, it certainly has an evident influence on stuff like the Hugos controversy and the gamergate movement

i dunno if the internet just makes these things seem more widespread than they really are though
    Oh, for sure, less fringe than it was, but the rabid puppies and gamergate are still basically fringe, I'd say; even on the internet, I'd say their main influence is being able to inflate their numbers by registering a bunch of eggs
    The alt-right at large is far more prominent than its root ideologies were, say, a decade or two ago, but I'd argue that this is mainly because they have more of a voice through the Internet and within the populist/reactionary wing of the Republican Party where they didn't when the former was barely relevant and the latter had too many gatekeepers. They have always been there, and there might even be fewer of them now, but those few can organise far more efficiently than they used to.

(The other Jane)
    Once upon a time, the far right was deeply disunited. Now, they're much more organized
    We're becoming a lot more like Europe and unfortunately we are doing so at a time when such a proposition sort of fucking blows.

I mean, at least the Democrats are becoming less terrible.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    As an aside, I really wish Twitter would do more about trolls and eggs, but it seems they're still too busy trying to get Facebook-sempai to notice them. :P

(The other Jane)

I mean, at least the Democrats are becoming less terrible.

I'm not sure this will necessarily happen. I think they'll just jump to the right to sweep up more "Moderate Republicans"--and thus truly become the Party of David Brooks
  • speaking of Twitter: I have become rather fond of the site
    Maybe? They'll alienate a lot of the people that Sanders brought in doing that, and they're already making moves back in the direction of social democracy to appeal to that strong progressive wing. Not that there might not be a schism between the right and left wings of the party in the long run, however.
  • wrt Political Futurology Hour: I predict that, given that Saturn is in the constellation of Horus, the general movement of the American public to the left when it comes to social issues has enough inertia to keep going a ways further yet, but I don't think that this will be linked to any particular movement on economic issues due to interference from Sagittarius
    Pfffthehehe.
    Those are some great meta-level insights Naney
  • thank you very much, but I couldn't have done it without help from the telepathic emanations of the betelgeusians, without them none of this could be possible