Economics is that it's a nomos of oikos

Biology is that it's a logos of bios

Psychology is that it's a logos of psukhe

Comments

• kill living beings
    agh
  • Pokémon is that it's a monster of poket
  • edited 2016-07-06 20:21:04
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Geometry is that it's a metron of the ge
  • to be fair to OP, OP is entirely correct

aside from psukhe

i thought it was psyche

but whatever, close enough
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    u is a valid (but uncommon for various reasons) transliteration of upsilon/ypsilon, and kh is a valid transliteration of chi/khi
  • My dreams exceed my real life

to be fair to OP, OP is entirely correct

aside from psukhe

i thought it was psyche

but whatever, close enough

http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-definition/psyche
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Calica said:

Geometry is that it's a metron of the ge

geometry, or land-measuring
    also is this referencing the 'love of wisdom' thing that pops up in introductions to philosophy a lot?

i think people resort to etymologies because it's very difficult to supply a singular definition that exclusively encompasses all branches of the discipline, maybe?  but that's true of a lot of things
  • kill living beings
    i thought it was "telos of eros"
  • i thought it was "telos of eros"

that's what I immediately thought of also, but I wasn't sure if it was the intended reference

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    In retrospect, the whole telos of eros argument wasn't so much pretentious as it was reductive and stupid. Reward systems do not have one function alone, and trying to apply elementary school logic to them inevitably leads to problems. Sex in particular, depending on the species, serves a whole host of purposes, none of which are likely conscious to begin with because the average animal is likely just thinking, "This seems fun."

Which I guess makes it a different sort of pretentious.

I digress. Dead horse.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The corpus of equus...
  • In retrospect, the whole telos of eros argument wasn't so much pretentious as it was reductive and stupid. Reward systems do not have one function alone, and trying to apply elementary school logic to them inevitably leads to problems. Sex in particular, depending on the species, serves a whole host of purposes, none of which are likely conscious to begin with because the average animal is likely just thinking, "This seems fun."

I digress. Dead horse.

it's an incredibly common reductive and stupid argument dressed up by saying it in greek instead, which is pretty pretentious imo
  • kill living beings
    we all know the real telos of eros from Snaiad.

In retrospect, the whole telos of eros argument wasn't so much pretentious as it was reductive and stupid. Reward systems do not have one function alone, and trying to apply elementary school logic to them inevitably leads to problems. Sex in particular, depending on the species, serves a whole host of purposes, none of which are likely conscious to begin with because the average animal is likely just thinking, "This seems fun."

I digress. Dead horse.

it's an incredibly common reductive and stupid argument dressed up by saying it in greek instead, which is pretty pretentious imo

Oh, indeed.

Granted, it's at least short and sweet and uses terms with very specific definitions that can be dealt with on their own terms, but that almost makes it more annoying, because it's hard to say whether they're being used for what they mean and their brevity or because they sound smart.

It does allow a simple retort, though: "A telos of eros is reproduction. Particles, dear boy."
  • edited 2016-07-07 04:01:33

the telos of eros is catboy discipline
  • Wait, the usual phrase isn't "the telos of eros is reproduction"?
    "The telos of eros is reproduction" was a dumb thing Rottweiler said in an argument about homosexuality, that became a meme on TV Tropes

the wording was new and that's what people found funny, but the argument itself is a very common bit of homophobic reasoning

Particles, dear boy.

Hm?
  • the telos of eros is catboy discipline

• but Sredni's post implies that the usual wording of the statement indicates that the telos of eros is pleasure, or something like that

or maybe i'm reading him wrong
    i think you're misunderstanding him
  • actually the telos of eros is to munch a portabello while i smoke a cigarello
    Tachyon said:

Particles, dear boy.

Hm?
    "A" versus "the."

• kill living beings
    Okay but... what particles?

Do you mean the part of speech? "a" and "the" aren't particles, they're articles.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    the telos of eris is chaos
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Calica said:

the telos of eris is chaos

Okay but... what particles?

Do you mean the part of speech? "a" and "the" aren't particles, they're articles.

...I screwed up. So it goes. They're a letter away from each other.
  • edited 2016-07-09 00:59:23
    kill living beings
    ok good because damn that was confusing

i was like what are there fuckin telos particles somewhere? am i living in xenosaga now?
  • this is proof that the ferret should sleep more

ok good because damn that was confusing

i was like what are there fuckin telos particles somewhere? am i living in xenosaga now?

In grammar, a particle is a part of speech that is not grammatically inflected. In English, the definite article is indeed a particle, although the indefinite is technically inflected in a wishy-washy way ("a" versus "some") so I was only half-right.
    The Telos of Logos is grammar
    WITTGENSTEEEEEEIIIIIIIINNNNNN.
  • edited 2016-07-09 01:22:44
    kill living beings
    does choosing definiteness not count as inflection

and how does this relate to the gnosis

(i know what a particle is. a bit. more in japanese grammar than english.)
    @Tre: Wittgenstein argued that all philosophical questions stemmed from inherent ambiguities in and limitations to language as a means of communication. Thus, my joke and Myr's.
    Tre said:

• if that isn't me idk what is

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Hth.
  • yes, but also