GMH deals with updating Waterfox to version 46

edited 2016-06-06 17:09:32 in General
Discord doesn't let me run with Waterfox 36, so looks like I had to update it.

*updates*

Some GUI problems popped up.  And some add-ons started warning me.  Took me a bit to find how to force them to update, but then they worked out right.  I have my Tree-Style Tabs back.

Now for two more important problems.
1. The search bar doesn't display the active search engine in a drop-down list like it used to.  The previous about:config fix using browser.search.showOneOffButtons doesn't seem to work anymore.
2. "Tabs sharing devices" now absorbs the Alt+D that normally acts as a shortcut for going to the address bar, when I have my microphone shared with Discord.

Comments

• https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1099222

"browser.search.showOneOffButtons" was a temporary thing. The underlying
    code that supported that preference is gone as of Firefox 43.

Well, fuck.

I'll try that, but it's disappointing that Mozilla would take away a more useful version for this newer excuse for a searchbar and not provide an option to go back.

I am, at least, glad to know that the workaround has been taken out. That leads me to believe that this change is now permanent and gives me enough incentive to try other browsers out. :/

I find it hilarious that firefox is "committed to you..." as stated on their main page - and then viciously removes all these options that allow users to browse how we like it.

If firefox had any respect for its users it would never remove options, especially when their new features (like the one search) are heavily criticized.

Exactly. I'm not sure how anyone could even try the new one and feel it's half as useful or easy to use as the old one. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

When they first did it, there was the workaround and I saw backlash so I always figured they'd change it back OR at least give an option in the menu to select the style. Since they've now, apparently, completely removed it I've got nothing holding me back to Firefox now.

see why updating is bad now?

also obligatory HAY CENTIE because i'm complaining about updates
  • edited 2016-06-06 17:15:43
    Installing https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

see sooner or later this add-on's gonna stop being supported and then i'll need to find another log to jump to

brb
  • Yep, that fixes the search bar.  Now I can see what search engine is active at any given time.

Only other issue so far is that the suggested destination when I start typing a URL now says "Visit heapershangout.com" and has a slightly larger breadth...but that's hardly an issue.

As for the Alt+D override bug, I guess it's known and I'll just have to live with it, keeping it in mind when I'm using Discord.  https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1197404
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I don't follow Firefox's versions, and I didn't expect the silly name change that happens around here, so I thought this was a glenn parody at first.

Which is really amusing.
  • edited 2016-06-06 17:31:22
    I actually made this thread mainly because I wanted a place to record what I needed to do, and then thought it might generate interesting conversation if I posted it here.  What with my reputation for hating updating as well as Centie's reputation for doing it as much as possible.

Also "silly name change"?
  • edited 2016-06-06 17:35:49
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Firefox to Waterfox, stuff like that definitely being a thing here (well and on the internet at large, but eh).
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Looks like it's an x64 Windows port of Firefox.
  • edited 2016-06-06 17:42:08
    Yeah, Waterfox is an unofficial 64-bit fork of Firefox, which is 32-bit.  Waterfox is maintained quite well.

I had run into a problem earlier where Waterfox 36 couldn't update itself without breaking itself, so that's why I stuck with that for so long.  Heck, this was the one time I actually WANTED to update my browser.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    WELP, my bad.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    (Oddly, Firefox is 64-bit on Linux and has been for ages, but 64-bit plugins are pretty much unheard of on Windows, which is why everything is still 32-bit.)
  • lee4hmz said:

(Oddly, Firefox is 64-bit on Linux and has been for ages, but 64-bit plugins are pretty much unheard of on Windows, which is why everything is still 32-bit.)

By plugins do you mean browser extensions like Flash Player?
  • edited 2016-06-06 18:55:32
    Just discovered a big problem.  Things were really running a bit too smoothly.

There's no option to "ask me every time" for setting cookies.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1101070

Apparently it was removed in Firefox 44+.

Apparently the reasoning was:

If you set the preference for third party cookies to "ask me every time" Firefox displays a modal dialog box for every cookie it encounters. This is bad for a number of reasons:

-It exposes far too much detail about the underlying implementation of the Web

-It forces the user to make a ridiculous number of decisions before visiting a Web site. For instance, amazon.com produces 8 dialog boxes, and ebay.com 15.

-Even informed users will not always have enough information to make an informed choice.

Uh, I'd been making those choices and working through those dialog boxes for years, just fine.

And "exposing too much detail"?  How in the world is this a problem at all?  That's a good thing!

But so basically my web browsing so far today and last night has all been done with accepting cookies and keeping them until they expire.  All of them.  Great, my Google cookies are now fucked up beyond belief and I've also got various other random shit on here now.

• edited 2016-06-06 19:12:47
    And looks like there's no way to restore this functionality, even with about:config dickery.

Fuck.

This is a key feature I've been using since like Firefox 1.
  • Had to do a quick fix to restore the title to the title bar.  It's in the basic settings, though, so good on it for that.

The cookies thing is still making me hesitant to use this as my primary browser for a lot of things -- I might need to shift more of my risky browsing to my standalone Chromium, which clears cookies on each exit.
  • Need to redo it so that PDFs don't load in browser but are treated as downloads...

Hmm.  I should have it set correctly already.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-built-pdf-viewer-and-use-another-viewer

I have one entry for "PDF file" and another for "Portable Document Format (PDF)".  One is set to "Always Ask" and the other is set to "Save File".  Let's set both to Save.

Well, now it works right.
  • edited 2016-06-06 22:55:15

Need to redo it so that PDFs don't load in browser but are treated as downloads...

Hmm.  I should have it set correctly already.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-built-pdf-viewer-and-use-another-viewer

I have one entry for "PDF file" and another for "Portable Document Format (PDF)".  One is set to "Always Ask" and the other is set to "Save File".  Let's set both to Save.

Well, now it works right.

There's a problem with this though.

There is no option to "preview in firefox".  It's like it was cosmetically renamed "always ask".
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So what is the advantage to Waterfox now that Mozilla has official 64-bit Windows binaries for Firefox?
  • edited 2016-06-06 23:04:27

So what is the advantage to Waterfox now that Mozilla has official 64-bit Windows binaries for Firefox?

It does now?  I didn't know that.

I actually have a Firefox installation somewhere here; I'll have to check how that will interact with this install.
  • edited 2016-06-07 02:42:05
    Y'know I'm considering replacing this with PaleMoon, then updating my portable Chromium install so that I can use Discord there (in case Discord doesn't like PaleMoon).
  • Pale Moon isn't updated anymore.

I know that because I had it on here for some time as my guest browser. Now I use Chrome for that.
  • Ooh!

PaleMoon is like classic Firefox!  Like the good old days!
  • Jane said:

Pale Moon isn't updated anymore.

I know that because I had it on here for some time as my guest browser. Now I use Chrome for that.
    It was last updated 10 May 2016.
  • edited 2016-06-07 02:56:54
    I might use PaleMoon as my main browser and Waterfox as my dedicated Discord browser.  Then I wouldn't have to go to the trouble of updating Chromium right now as well.

Or I could use PaleMoon as my main browser and update Chromium as my dedicated Discord browser (assuming that it works) and dump Waterfox.

Hmm...

Incidentally this is how I end up with fifty million browsers.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm almost afraid to ask: do you compile your own Chromium from source or do you use one compiled by some random online person?
  • I'm almost afraid to ask: do you compile your own Chromium from source or do you use one compiled by some random online person?

http://crportable.sourceforge.net/
    >SourceForge

oh my god, it's even worse than i thought
  • >SourceForge

oh my god, it's even worse than i thought
    You do realize it's the choice between trusting one bunch of geeks versus trusing another bunch of geeks, right?

So my best choice is actually to just split everything fifty million ways.
  • Oh sweet!  PaleMoon even still has a status bar!
  • edited 2016-06-07 03:45:34
    Conclusion:

Waterfox is now my "entertainment" browser -- with logins to HH, IJBM, HB, Steam, Discord, etc..

PaleMoon will now be my doing proper stuff browser.

Or so I hope.
  • Oh, did I mention that PaleMoon lets me individually choose what to do with each cookie. :)
    Honestly more than anything at this point I just feel it's kinda funny that you'd rather do things like using multiple browsers with different configurations than just suck it up and learn a new user interface.
  • Honestly more than anything at this point I just feel it's kinda funny that you'd rather do things like using multiple browsers with different configurations than just suck it up and learn a new user interface.

Well, some things can be learned, like how I decided to actually get a more modern browser when I got Waterfox 32 a while back (when it was the latest one) and learned to deal with stuff like a lack of menu bar or status bar...which turned out to be no huge deal (though the lack of status bar does occasionally cause problems).  Same with whether "open in new tab" was the first or second choice on a context menu.

On the other hand, I care more about things like being able to tab through clickable buttons and links on a webpage (which is why I haven't switched to Opera despite multiple attempts), cookie management (Waterfox 46's lack of this might be alleviated by the Cookie Manager plugin for Waterfox 46, and I think I might actually adopt that going forward), Alt+D to the address bar, and the fact that I like to keep my multiple GMail accounts separate (and thus want to use separate browsers or browser sessions for them) -- especially for ones that carry confidential information.

I mean, heck, ideally, for things like bank accounts and such, I should just be using a browser that's totally separate from my regular web browsing, anyway.
  • One good thing about Waterfox 46:

It updated properly to Waterfox 47. No more broken update.
  • Oh you gotta be kidding me.

Firefox has a faster way of sharing web pages, apparently.

"Find the Hello icon to get started"

"Once you've found a page you want to discuss, click the icon in Waterfox to create a link.  Then send it to your friend however you like!"

...or I can Ctrl+D Ctrl+C then paste

meanwhile, the Hello feature actually DOES require a Signup/Signin, unlike how they imply.
    That was pretty dumb, yeah.

I don't know why Mozilla feels they need their own instant messaging program, when approximately 7,000,000 others already exist with established userbases.