Lore unduly justifies narrative issues in fictional media.

edited 2016-05-23 04:13:41 in General Media
Discuss. 

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    if only he could've just kept cool like his brother Data.
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:19:51
    Strago is an excellent character because his skill gives him lots of fun things to do, even if he doesn't do much in the story, so I'd say it's a good thing.  Arguably the character has more impression on the player because the player gets to play him and become familiar with him that way rather than simply having lesser mentions of him in the story.

[/cmtp]
  • lore as in extra-textual editions to the work?

i guess it depends on to what degree the "lore" is integrated into the work

like if it's another work in the same franchise vs. something jk rowling pulled out at a Q&A
  • the more i think about it the more "lore" feels like some weird made-up category specific to nerd media as opposed to like, an "actual" thing
  • on the intended topic

if we define "lore" as in "the details of the setting" and "narrative issues" as in "problems that result in ineffective storytelling"

then i'd say it can go both ways, and depends

i can think of at least one example of setting details being set on the wayside or determined on the fly to tell a compelling story, and at least one example of potentially more emotionally impactful storytelling being set on the wayside to do something that makes sense according to the setting details
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:36:12
    kill living beings

the more i think about it the more "lore" feels like some weird made-up category specific to nerd media as opposed to like, an "actual" thing

pretty much.

the simarillion seems ok though. maybe because it's about a bunch of crazy shit instead of short people?
  • well i dunno about how y'all use it but i use "lore" to mean just the collective setting details of a work

not necessarily extratextual

though i guess one could argue it's necessarily extratextual since it requires inferring information, unless it is extratextual by way of the creator giving the information in a separate work
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:54:16
    Uh... what? I admittedly do not get narrative much.
  • isn't narrative just the parts that can be interpreted as a story or story-like sequence of events?
  • edited 2016-05-23 05:11:29
    I see. The way I see it being used kinda sounds like wizard speak and I'm admittedly dumb when it come to that. I don't completely understand what MadassAlex gets at when he talks about narrative and stuff. I can kinda see what he gets at, but not really? I'm not even disagreeing with him.

I'm just being my ignorant self so feel free to disregard me.
  • isn't narrative just the parts that can be interpreted as a story or story-like sequence of events?

It's also anything that can be said to convey information to an audience, which is a pretty broad thing. The relationship between two conflicting characters is narrative, as it conveys information about Important Philosophical Considerations, but the placement of an object in an environment can also be narrative through its potential to (sort of) passively convey information. 

TitleName said:

Alternate thread title:

Sometimes, flaws in fiction are overlooked or brushed off because those flaws can be interpreted to be consistent with the lore.

Alternate alternate thread title:

Everyone, please pick a side where the options are Lore Justifies Things and Narrative Takes Precedence. 
  • What if I believe that lore itself builds narrative?
  • edited 2016-05-23 05:21:15
    I think I don't really think of fiction with overarching narrative view. So, maybe Lore for me? I don't really know. I have relatively simple tastes anyways, but I still enjoy the stuff I like.
  • kill living beings
    judging stories by mechanical consistency is... banal? boring? dull? i don't have a word with appropriate connotations. dull in the way that doing math by punching a calculator is dull, when you could be doing something interesting. boring like memorizing equations and not seeing the principles of their derivation. banal like a thing that's really fucking banal.

so the latter probably
  • i don't think that picking a side is really a good idea, because it's just not a good question, for the reasons outlined above
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i would take 'lore' to mean the kind of stuff that only diehard fans are likely to remember

so like, sitcoms have lore, but it's lore because it's only the nerds in the audience who are going to remember or care about it, the sort of people who buy the series bible or trawl the wikia for interesting trivia

also it tends to be a word i'd associate with serialized media, like comics or TV series or movie trilogies, while in a standalone movie, book or video game similar details would be 'foreshadowing' or 'easter eggs' or just 'interesting details'

but actual 'nerd media' is unusual in that there is often an expectation that you were paying attention to lore (to varying extents, depending on the work), so sometimes plot events are comprehensible only if you remember something that happened earlier in the story

sometimes, i think, particularly in SF, this can be quite clever and appealing as a storytelling device.  the story develops an internal logic peculiar to its setting, and viewers can follow it but they are not 'at home in it' so it can catch them off guard

for me, one of the most satisfying types of moment while reading or watching something is when something happens which surprises me, i didn't see it coming, but with retrospect it was expertly foreshadowed, even inevitable, it's just that its inevitability was a direct consequence of aspects of the lore which, although i know it in theory, there's so much of it that i can't always keep track of all the different mechanics involved and predict how they will play off one another
  • judging stories by mechanical consistency is... banal? boring? dull? i don't have a word with appropriate connotations. dull in the way that doing math by punching a calculator is dull, when you could be doing something interesting. boring like memorizing equations and not seeing the principles of their derivation. banal like a thing that's really fucking banal.

so the latter probably

i guess if i had to choose a side id go with this

judging stories by mechanical consistency is... banal? boring? dull? i don't have a word with appropriate connotations. dull in the way that doing math by punching a calculator is dull, when you could be doing something interesting. boring like memorizing equations and not seeing the principles of their derivation. banal like a thing that's really fucking banal.

so the latter probably

this is a persistent, albeit usually quite mild, source of feelings of inferiority in me, just as an aside
  • on one hand i believe that setting details interacting can themselves create a story

on the other hand i believe that creating a convincing story may require tweaking the settings to get the desired story result
  • Tachyon said:

so the latter probably

this is a persistent, albeit usually quite mild, source of feelings of inferiority in me, just as an aside

to give a converse example of what i'd consider lore employed badly, when something makes no sense in context, when viewers are baffled by it, and the answer is you'd know if you consulted an interview or whatever, that seems a little cheap to me

HOWEVER! arguably the problem there lies in the expectation that every event in the story must be explicable, that there must be some 'justification' for events that are, after all, entirely fictional.
  • ...what exactly is a "narrative issue" anyways?

i tried to think of works where i had an issue with the narrative, but in each case the only reason i had an issue with it was due to the way in affected the thematic structure of the work

so like, if you maintain a clear thematic structure, i think you could just scramble the living fuck out of the narrative until it falls apart into dream-logic mush and you'd be fine
  • What if I believe that lore itself builds narrative?

That would be a valid and justified position. 

In some cases, though, lore and other narrative elements are at odds. Characterisation or plot might call for something that contradicts the lore, or the lore might call for something that undermines character and/or plot. 

An example might be an atheist character in a standard D&D setting. In a setting where divine entities are commonly believed to exist, a skeptic is justified in behaving unlike to other characters when it comes to matters of faith, but your standard D&D setting doesn't have faith so much as it has direct observation of divine events and intervention. This isn't exactly the most sensible example, but hopefully it illustrates how a character or characters can be at odds with established lore, or how lore can reduce the possibility space of characterisation. 
    narrative issues . . . i guess i'm gonna fall back onto a cliché

there are no absolute rules in writing, any rule can be broken effectively

but there are rules, and if you don't know the rules you won't know when it's right to break them

now that's me basically parroting back a piece of trite advice i've heard and read many times

however i think there's something in it.  i would contrast, for instance, my own attempts at writing plotless short stories, versus the work of a writer like Borges or Barthelme; the former felt like stories that didn't go anywhere which is maybe a bit frustrating or disappointing from a reader perspective, the latter are plotless *for a reason* and so the lack of a conventional plot is not an issue

What if I believe that lore itself builds narrative?

That would be a valid and justified position. 

In some cases, though, lore and other narrative elements are at odds. Characterisation or plot might call for something that contradicts the lore, or the lore might call for something that undermines character and/or plot. 

An example might be an atheist character in a standard D&D setting. In a setting where divine entities are commonly believed to exist, a skeptic is justified in behaving unlike to other characters when it comes to matters of faith, but your standard D&D setting doesn't have faith so much as it has direct observation of divine events and intervention. This isn't exactly the most sensible example, but hopefully it illustrates how a character or characters can be at odds with established lore, or how lore can reduce the possibility space of characterisation. 
    this bugged the heck out of me in Skyrim and i think weakened the main questline for me

the Thalmor are *wrong*, as evidenced by the beneficial effects of Talos worship

(my brother once pointed out to me that there are parallels you can draw between the political situation in that game and that of the American South during the 20th century.  In this analogy the Thalmor are stand-ins for the USSR, which puts that conflict in a very different light.  The problem, for me, is that regardless of how powerful the Thalmor might be, attempting to overthrow them seems a lot saner than nuking Moscow)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

isn't narrative just the parts that can be interpreted as a story or story-like sequence of events?

It's also anything that can be said to convey information to an audience, which is a pretty broad thing. The relationship between two conflicting characters is narrative, as it conveys information about Important Philosophical Considerations, but the placement of an object in an environment can also be narrative through its potential to (sort of) passively convey information. 

TitleName said:

Alternate thread title:

Sometimes, flaws in fiction are overlooked or brushed off because those flaws can be interpreted to be consistent with the lore.

Everyone, please pick a side where the options are Lore Justifies Things and Narrative Takes Precedence. 
    There is no explanation here as to what you actually mean by "lore," and the use you're implying is a bit... irksome to me. When I hear "lore," I think folktales about lake monsters and the sacred mysteries of the kiva, not authorial ephemera, which is what I think you mean.

So I guess your question is, "To what degree do you think that fans and/or authors use extra-narrative assertions to justify intra-narrative inconsistencies, and to what degree do you think that they *do* justify those things?"

To which I would say that, for me, it depends. The death of the author is in effect to some degree, as unintended meanings have their own validity, but I'm generally quite willing to accept extraneous titbits from an artist about how they envision their work if it helps me expand my understanding of it, particularly if it is something like a plot element which is heavily implied by the text and explains or contextualises previously unclear aspects thereof. But again, this really depends on the work and how much it suffers without the ephemeral justifications.
  • Tachyon said:

arguably the problem there lies in the expectation that every event in the story must be explicable, that there must be some 'justification' for events that are, after all, entirely fictional.

I agree; justification is not necessary, and sometimes lack of justification can be used to create the illusion of a larger, more complexly detailed setting.

so like, if you maintain a clear thematic structure, i think you could just scramble the living fuck out of the narrative until it falls apart into dream-logic mush and you'd be fine

i think this happened for me with n.g.evangelion
    this use of 'lore' is fairly commonplace in fandom discussions, it's not something Alex plucked out of thin air, it's the usual term for this stuff

i attempted a definition of sorts here
    Tachyon said:

i would take 'lore' to mean the kind of stuff that only diehard fans are likely to remember

so like, sitcoms have lore, but it's lore because it's only the nerds in the audience who are going to remember or care about it, the sort of people who buy the series bible or trawl the wikia for interesting trivia

also it tends to be a word i'd associate with serialized media, like comics or TV series or movie trilogies, while in a standalone movie, book or video game similar details would be 'foreshadowing' or 'easter eggs' or just 'interesting details'

TitleName said:

Alternate thread title:

There is no explanation here as to what you actually mean by "lore," and the use you're implying is a bit... irksome to me. When I hear "lore," I think folktales about lake monsters and the sacred mysteries of the kiva, not authorial ephemera, which is what I think you mean.
    Both of these are equally "lore" to my mind, and I've avoided defining lore so as to use the broadest possible definition. 

...what exactly is a "narrative issue" anyways?

i tried to think of works where i had an issue with the narrative, but in each case the only reason i had an issue with it was due to the way in affected the thematic structure of the work

I also happen to agree very strongly with this, although I would expand that to encompass character as an extension of theme as well. People and feelings are what are real and true about a story; the rest is a glorious, glittering web of lies by definition.
    so-and-so acting out of character because the plot demands it is a common narrative complaint, in my experience
    the 'web of lies' can take different forms, though, and i think that *does* matter

compare and contrast the 'webs' spun by Agatha Christie with those spun by Raymond Chandler; they are greatly dissimilar in how they approach worldbuilding and foreshadowing (i.e. 'lore'), despite superficial similarities in narrative structure
    Tachyon said:

so-and-so acting out of character because the plot demands it is a common narrative complaint, in my experience

Now, *that* is an actual issue, because it impacts a core aspect of the story and muddles the proverbial message. What I'm suggesting is that unless the plot itself is part of the intended communicated idea—as in conventional whodunit mysteries—fuzzy logic is perfectly acceptable if the themes and characters remain clear and well-presented. Not everything requires perfect real-world logic to function.
    Tachyon said:

the 'web of lies' can take different forms, though, and i think that *does* matter

compare and contrast the 'webs' spun by Agatha Christie with those spun by Raymond Chandler; they are greatly dissimilar in how they approach worldbuilding and foreshadowing (i.e. 'lore'), despite superficial similarities in narrative structure

Agreed!

If a story becomes dream-logic mush, I daresay it's usually lost its thematic communication anyway. 

As far as defining "narrative issues" goes, I don't want to impose a definition of such a subjective thing, especially as it'll be debated until the cows come home. We can all think of "narrative issues" in different ways, but the important things are where we think they come from and what our reactions are.  

If a story becomes dream-logic mush, I daresay it's usually lost its thematic communication anyway. 
    not really? at their best, such things tap into more intuitive and subtle ways to associate signifiers and concepts than a more realism-oriented narrative could allow

finding an emotional truth that surpasses the sort of clunkiness that can come from trying to get a story to work like "the real world"

Bruh, that's horseshit and you know it.

I can tell you exactly what something like Eraserhead is trying to say, for the most part, even if the plot makes not a lick of logical sense, because the thematic through-lines are blazingly clear even when the metaphors expressing them aren't. Eraserhead is about how parenting is scary; FLCL is about how becoming an adult is hard and weird; Cat Soup is about death; and so forth.

not really? at their best, such things tap into more intuitive and subtle ways to associate signifiers and concepts than a more realism-oriented narrative could allow

finding an emotional truth that surpasses the sort of clunkiness that can come from trying to get a story to work like "the real world"
    You are way more diplomatic and convincing than I am.

Now, *that* is an actual issue, because it impacts a core aspect of the story and muddles the proverbial message. What I'm suggesting is that unless the plot itself is part of the intended communicated idea—as in conventional whodunit mysteries—fuzzy logic is perfectly acceptable if the themes and characters remain clear and well-presented. Not everything requires perfect real-world logic to function.

True!  Nevertheless i think there is an expectation, in much SF and fantasy, that something resembling real-world logic is in play, perhaps because doing so grounds the narrative in something the reader can recognize, while things a reader of other genres might take for granted - such as social conventions, geography, history, human psychology and the laws of physics - cannot be assumed.

(An alternative approach is to introduce a character who has the same set of assumptions as the average reader, which i think accounts for the fantasy cliché of the protagonist being a visitor from 'our world'.)

Then I suggest we're thinking of different things with "dream-logic mush". You meant to suggest something very abstract (but still internally consistent in its own ways), whereas I read a disregard for communicating with the audience. 
  • edited 2016-05-23 06:40:54
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

True!  Nevertheless i think there is an expectation, in much SF and fantasy, that something resembling real-world logic is in play, perhaps because doing so grounds the narrative in something the reader can recognize, while things a reader of other genres might take for granted - such as social conventions, geography, history, human psychology and the laws of physics - cannot be assumed.

(An alternative approach is to introduce a character who has the same set of assumptions as the average reader, which i think accounts for the fantasy cliché of the protagonist being a visitor from 'our world'.)
    Which also may explain why a lot of experimental fiction begins from a place of "the real" rather than a fantastical setting. But both ignore the fact that speculative fiction has always been an optimal playground for flights of fancy on the formal plane as well as that of subject matter. Consider Burroughs or Kubin.

^ Dream-logic means what it says: The logic of dreams, where causality breaks down and events happen according to things like association and magical thinking. You're walking to school and then you're an airline pilot and you're in a ballroom now, because that's who you are.
  • edited 2016-05-23 06:55:23
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well, again, i certainly wasn't trying to propose any absolute rule there, merely speculating about why SF and fantasy tends towards certain conventions (and, equally, why experimental fiction tends to take place in something assumed to be the 'real world', that's also a good point).

i guess also, a point i wanted to make but didn't - one might point out, very reasonably, that there are substantial thematic and character differences between the works of Christie and Chandler.  So one might then say, these differences are what really make the two authors so different from one another, nothing to do with 'story logic' or 'lore'.

But i don't think that's quite true, because themes and characters do not exist in isolation from plot or setting.  The murkiness, the greater incidence of unknowns and seeming inconsistencies in Chandler's mysteries is not merely a question of him 'not playing fair', it's reflective of serious philosophical differences between the two authors.  Chandler simply did not believe in the orderly, carefully structured world Christie's characters inhabited.

All of which is, i guess, just a wordier restatement of what Naney said about narrative affecting thematic structure.  But i think it's inevitable that the two bleed into one another.
    Again, I find no fault with what you are saying here. It's quite congruent with how I see things, for the most part, just stated from a different angle and coming from a different set of experiences, which I certainly respect..
  • edited 2016-05-23 07:36:09
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    And likewise, i find no fault with what you are saying.  Mostly i'm just kinda using the discussion that's already happening here as a jumping-off point for my own musings on this subject. :)

i think to some extent 'narrative issues' are perceived to exist when a story appears to be adhering to a certain logic and then breaks away from it.  For instance, i've heard it said of LOST that it kept introducing mysteries but never supplying solutions.  i think that's inaccurate - LOST supplied plenty of solutions even during the early seasons, but provided no clear demarcation between mysteries with and without solutions, and indeed, the mysteries which viewers were most encouraged to speculate about were never solved.  The show operated on something far more closely resembling dream logic than viewers were initially led to believe.
  • Let me tell you this. This man? Lore? I will kick his ass. I will kick his ass here. I will kick his ass in Harlem. I will kick his ass on The Missouri River. I will kick his ass anywhere if he ever shows his face around here ever again.

As far as defining "narrative issues" goes, I don't want to impose a definition of such a subjective thing, especially as it'll be debated until the cows come home. We can all think of "narrative issues" in different ways, but the important things are where we think they come from and what our reactions are.  
    Evangelion went deep into the "dream logic mush" at the end and I still got a coherent narrative out of it.
  • Tachyon said:

And likewise, i find no fault with what you are saying.  Mostly i'm just kinda using the discussion that's already happening here as a jumping-off point for my own musings on this subject. :)

i think to some extent 'narrative issues' are perceived to exist when a story appears to be adhering to a certain logic and then breaks away from it.  For instance, i've heard it said of LOST that it kept introducing mysteries but never supplying solutions.  i think that's inaccurate - LOST supplied plenty of solutions even during the early seasons, but provided no clear demarcation between mysteries with and without solutions, and indeed, the mysteries which viewers were most encouraged to speculate about were never solved.  The show operated on something far more closely resembling dream logic than viewers were initially led to believe.

The fact that storytelling doesn't and can't necessarily oblige events forward in any particular direction is why I say that the quality of stories should be judged on their effectiveness to convey particular reactions in the audience, rather than some vague "goodness" measure that somehow encompasses all storytelling, because that usually leads to certain forms/styles of storytelling being prioritized over others as more "good".

Oh, and has anyone yet figured out why "homura" is in the tags?
  • Jane said:

Let me tell you this. This man? Lore? I will kick his ass. I will kick his ass here. I will kick his ass in Harlem. I will kick his ass on The Missouri River. I will kick his ass anywhere if he ever shows his face around here ever again.

We don't take too kindly to... lores 'round here...
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

See also: Primer. Shane Carruth, for who knows what reason, took a story about time travelers rewriting their own personal history, then left a bunch of scenes completely off-screen. There's just enough information to suggest a coherent narrative in the gaps, but enough ambiguity to sustain years of debate. In spite of that, the character arcs are crystal clear, so the whole film works. The fact that those character arcs work is, I think, the whole reason anyone gives enough of a damn long enough to debate about the plot in the first place.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Jane said:

Let me tell you this. This man? Lore? I will kick his ass. I will kick his ass here. I will kick his ass in Harlem. I will kick his ass on The Missouri River. I will kick his ass anywhere if he ever shows his face around here ever again.

latest
  • edited 2016-05-24 00:22:28
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'm the sort of person who really likes those details outside of the main story.  Especially if those details themselves form another narrative behind the main one, over the course of many books.  Like Hoid the scruffy beggar, in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere. His travels and actions through all the books can be tracked and documented coherently, if you're a dedicated enough fan, but they never distract from the actual main plot.