What OS(es) would you install on your computer if you could install any (real-life) OSes?

Win7 or Win8.1, WinXP, Win3.1, Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

Comments

• Jane said:

why do you tag things flamebait

for fun and profit
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I am imagining GMH trying to run Windows 3.1 on a modern Intel i7 with some absurd amount of RAM and it's quite an amusing mental image.

To answer the question: Windows 7 or 10, some kind of Linux (no particular preference, though I'd like Xfce as my desktop environment), or FreeBSD.
  • oh, did I say 3.1?  I meant 3.11
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Not 3.2, that weird obscure version that was only ever released in Chinese?
  • Not 3.2, that weird obscure version that was only ever released in Chinese?

wasn't that 3.33?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I use only the very finest copy of Windows Nashville.
  • edited 2016-05-17 20:40:39
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Not 3.2, that weird obscure version that was only ever released in Chinese?

wasn't that 3.33?
    http://toastytech.com/guis/win32.html
  • An up-to-date version of XP would definitely be relevant to my interests. I really like each new iteration of OSX, though, especially now that I barely have to switch partitions to play games anymore.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    (oh hey, the toastytech guy thinks smartphones are for idiots who only watch cat videos. So nice to have my intelligence insulted by a fuddy-duddy who thinks it should still be 1995.)
  • Haven said:

An up-to-date version of XP would definitely be relevant to my interests. I really like each new iteration of OSX, though, especially now that I barely have to switch partitions to play games anymore.

Why don't you have to switch partitions?
  • Haven said:

An up-to-date version of XP would definitely be relevant to my interests. I really like each new iteration of OSX, though, especially now that I barely have to switch partitions to play games anymore.

Because most games are released on Mac now too, as compared to the days of yore when literally everything was PC-exclusive.
  • edited 2016-05-17 20:57:00
    Haven said:

Haven said:

Because most games are released on Mac now too, as compared to the days of yore when literally everything was PC-exclusive.
    Oh, that.

Yeah, most of my games are Windows exclusives.

(That said I'm more likely to switch to Linux so I'd probably care more about Linux compatibility...)
    lee4hmz said:

(oh hey, the toastytech guy thinks smartphones are for idiots who only watch cat videos. So nice to have my intelligence insulted by a fuddy-duddy who thinks it should still be 1995.)

anything he wrote after 2006 or so isn't worth reading because by then he just started ranting about things he disliked instead of properly reviewing desktop user interfaces

but his older stuff still holds up, to me
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-17 23:45:53
    Win7 or Ubuntu.  Probably Ubuntu by now because 7 is deprecating fast.
  • Windows 7 for games and OS X Snow Leopard for literally everything else.

Maybe Xubuntu circa 2011 as well if performance is a concern.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

lee4hmz said:

anything he wrote after 2006 or so isn't worth reading because by then he just started ranting about things he disliked instead of properly reviewing desktop user interfaces

but his older stuff still holds up, to me
    how do you know the dates?
    I guess he doesn't put dates on his stuff

But anything from Windows Vista onward is just him ranting about how much he hates Microsoft
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    oh
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Microsoft Boob
    Also depending on how we'd define "computer" I'll also say Android 5 or later

I haven't tried Android 6 yet, but if it's anything like Android 5 I'm sure I'd like it

IRL my smartphone is still stuck on Android 4.4 but oh well
  • Marshmallow is functionally a more stable version of Lollipop with a couple small new features and one big feature that only sometimes works, so if you're a fan of the latter you'd probably be just fine with the former.
  • edited 2016-05-18 01:07:30
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

I guess he doesn't put dates on his stuff

But anything from Windows Vista onward is just him ranting about how much he hates Microsoft
    yup...his Windows 10 "review" comes dangerously close to being Complaining About OSes You Haven't Used (just so he can dunk on Microsoft some more like it's still the goddamn 1990s :P)

Microsoft may still be huge and greedy, but they're not the only game in town like they used to be.
  • edited 2016-05-18 01:16:53
    he sounds less like a serious tech writer and more like the sorts of people who used to be like LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY AMIGA. Or the alt.destroy.microsoft types who wanted either Microsoft or Bill Gates himself to be tortured gruesomely.
  • edited 2016-05-18 01:28:01

I haven't tried Android 6 yet, but if it's anything like Android 5 I'm sure I'd like it

i wish my smartphone still ran android 4.4 but NOOOOO can't de-update, fug

updating was a mistake
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can't tell whether toastytech actually likes any OS, TBH.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    synthesis OS by alexia massalin

i wish my smartphone still ran android 4.4 but NOOOOO can't de-update, fug

updating was a mistake
    *smacks*

He praises most of the original Mac OS stuff and he talks about Windows 95 with a sort of begrudging respect

It's just that he wants computers to still work the way they did in 1996 and it leads to asinine things like complaining that the Windows calendar app won't work if you don't give it account credentials or getting pissy at UAC for not allowing all executables admin privileges by default like XP did.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-18 06:03:52
    To be fair, UAC is a tremendous pain in the ass if you're a developer.  It'll randomly turn on even after you fully disable it, lock you out of source control files for no reason (I've had to contact my IT admin more than once, and at one point it locked him out too), and heaven forbid you're trying to program installers that actually need admin access.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    did the lisp machine have a name for their OS?  that
  • kill living beings
    Genera was one
    Before Genera, though, it was just "a LISP machine". Everyone did it a little differently, too, though the hardware was usually PDP-10-ish. 
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:04:16

He praises most of the original Mac OS stuff and he talks about Windows 95 with a sort of begrudging respect

It's just that he wants computers to still work the way they did in 1996 and it leads to asinine things like complaining that the Windows calendar app won't work if you don't give it account credentials or getting pissy at UAC for not allowing all executables admin privileges by default like XP did.
    This is actually one of my big pet peeves. I've seen people who've gotten all pissy that the aforementioned LISP machines didn't win out, I've seen people who've complained mightily that we didn't keep improving on Mac System 7 or Mac OS 8/9 and make it into something like unto the LISP machines or the old Burroughs systems, and all these people seem to haaaaaaaaate Unix, too (well, Unix as it was in the 1980s and early 1990s, anyway, since a lot of these rants were written 15-20 years ago). Anyone still believing that we can't make a decent system—even a Unix-based one!—with a decent UI, no required command line usage and instant on/off hasn't used a smartphone or a tablet recently.
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:07:22
    (Seriously, it's weird how many of these One True OS projects seem to want to reimplement either Genera or the Burroughs B5000. I wonder if they even know about Java. Or Squeak, for that matter, since that seems to be closer to the "1980s OO workstation" feel they're after.)
    Anyway, my point is, it seems like people get so mad about short-term concerns or their own pet peeves that they just can't see the forest for the trees anymore. Things do work out in the end, even if it takes a while to get there.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Being obvious, I'm going with Symbolics Genera
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Also perhaps NeXTSTEP
    I actually have OPENSTEP-era machines at the house. I wonder if my 486 or my IBM could run it.