IJBM: the term "passive-aggressive" being overused and used incorrectly

edited 2016-05-14 14:26:49 in General
The term means something pretty specific.  It refers specifically to "indirect expression of hostility", to use Wikipedia's wording.  This means:
1. "hostility" - hostile intent is needed.
2. "indirect" - the behavior must be something that takes a roundabout route to accomplishing a hostile objective when there is a direct route clearly available.

Except the internet doesn't use it this way.  On the internet, passive-aggressive behavior means the same thing as complaining.  Making new threads to complain about something?  Passive-aggressive behavior.  Gossipping about someone else for stress relief?  Passive-aggressive behavior.  Posting an unrelated complaint for unrelated reasons?  Passive-aggressive behavior.  Running into a problem and the posting a comment about the larger issue exemplified by that problem?  Passive-aggressive behavior.  Trying to resolve a situation without mentioning the flamebait parts of it?  Passive-aggressive behavior.

Oh, also, there's the shittier synonym, "bitching".  As if we didn't have enough gender-specific slurs already.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sure you're not being passive-aggressive there, pal?

but I agree, this term is waaaaaaay overused.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    On the other hand, what would "aggressive-passive" look like?

"Hey, you wanna do something?"
    "NO!" <punches other guy into the wall>
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Many of those things can actually be passive-aggressive in the classical sense. For instance, ostensibly complaining about an issue in the abstract but having the "general observation" clearly tailored to single out an individual or tacitly criticise a group without naming them is definitely passive-aggressive.
  • vvaguebloggin'
  • edited 2016-05-14 21:23:01
    kill living beings

For instance, ostensibly complaining about an issue in the abstract but having the "general observation" clearly tailored to single out an individual or tacitly criticise a group without naming them is definitely passive-aggressive.

aaaaah my braaaaain
  • honestly it's a lifestyle