Apparently in some states you have to wait for your new driver's license to be mailed to you?

I guess I'm spoiled, because in Ohio they print your driver's licenses or state ID on-demand in the BMV office.

I think I would find it irritating if I waited in line for half an hour at the BMV and had to walk out without whatever I came there for.

Comments

• When I got my provisional, I sent off some forms and a photocopy of my passport, and then the DVLA sent me back my provisional by post. Same when I had to get my replacement.

Not sure what happens when you pass your driving test, but something similar, I assume.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    To get a learner's permit around here, you go to the BMV with your documents (social security card and a birth certificate are enough if you're a citizen by birthright), take the "written" exam (actually conducted on a computer), and if you pass the exam they take your picture and print your learner's permit.

To get a your full license, you do the two-part driving test. There's the maneuverability portion, where you wiggle your car between some cones, and the on-street portion. I failed the former my first time around, but once you've passed both, you can get your license printed then and there.
  • Huh.

To get your provisional, all you have to do is be aged 17 and above, fill out some forms, send them off and within a week or two you'll get your provisional.

To get your actual licence, you need to pass the written paper and do a half an hour to an hour driving test. I think you have to wait a week or so before you get your licence, but I don't know. Haven't got to that stage yet.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    In my experience, in states where they have to mail your license to you, they also print off a temporary license—on paper— for you to use until your real license comes in the mail.
  • My dad actually is dealing with this as we speak; yesterday we went to the DMV and waited for two hours to check the status of his renewed license only to be told it's in the mail.

The rents were not pleased.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    here in Pennsyltucky they do it immediately at the DMV.

I imagine there probably are some more primitive cultures like Kansas or whatever where they mail it, though.
  • edited 2016-05-06 17:15:31
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    They started mailing them here in Virginia because of the usual crap (i.e. Fear of Brown People). :P There was a scandal a few years back about people printing off fake IDs at a DMV office somewhere (I think in Tysons), but I also think that's a red herring; non-metropolitan Virginia is still scary racist, and pretty much everything post-9/11 made that worse.
  • lee4hmz said:

They started mailing them here in Virginia because of the usual crap (i.e. Fear of Brown People). :P There was a scandal a few years back about people printing off fake IDs at a DMV office somewhere (I think in Tysons), but I also think that's a red herring; non-metropolitan Virginia is still scary racist, and pretty much everything post-9/11 made that worse.

I can't remember where I read it but recently I read somewhere that someone basically compared Muslims/immigrants/etc. to raccoons invading and living in someone's house.

These nuts' thinking is that "my worldview didn't include you, so you should go away".
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It's also a dog-whistle (intentionally or not); they used to call black people "coons". 😵 
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    MetaFour said:

In my experience, in states where they have to mail your license to you, they also print off a temporary license—on paper— for you to use until your real license comes in the mail.

Washington does this. It is still a bit inconvenient, though, since it's ONLY accepted for driving and not, say, flying.

I may have ended up flying illegally once due to this.
  • I guess I'm spoiled, because in Ohio they print your driver's licenses or state ID on-demand in the BMV office.

I think I would find it irritating if I waited in line for half an hour at the BMV and had to walk out without whatever I came there for.
    When I got my driver's license in Texas, I think they took my picture and then I received a copy of my license in the mail. I'm pretty sure I had some temporary thing in the meantime though.

To get a learner's permit around here, you go to the BMV with your documents (social security card and a birth certificate are enough if you're a citizen by birthright), take the "written" exam (actually conducted on a computer), and if you pass the exam they take your picture and print your learner's permit.

To get a your full license, you do the two-part driving test. There's the maneuverability portion, where you wiggle your car between some cones, and the on-street portion. I failed the former my first time around, but once you've passed both, you can get your license printed then and there.
    That sounds a lot more in-depth than what I had to do to get my license, haha. I think I had to provide a record that I had taken a class about traffic laws and stuff to get my permit. My driving test for the full thing was also just the on-street portion with no parallel parking (thankfully) in an area I was pretty familiar with. So basically I'm saying I don't really know how to drive...