General Roleplaying Discussion Thread (Deluxe)

edited 2016-05-02 03:19:46 in Roleplay & Games
Come here, talk about the games you're in, spitball about games you would like to be in or how you would run them, whatever.

To start with, I'm posting this thread because I saw some really good (if specialized--it's for if you're playing a grid-based system IRL and also are super cheap) advice here and had to share.

The plastic rings and lids from large mouth plastic milk and juice containers can represent spell effects or pools. A blue ring around a miniature could indicate a magical shield or protection spell. A red ring around a miniature could indicate some effect like stunned or bloodied. A miniature on top of a blue lid could indicate that the character is flying. Pill bottles can also be painted a matching abstract blue and used as columns to make a more three dimensional encounter and clearly determine line-of-sight and cover.
Tagged:

Comments

• Yeah, but this one's deluxe.
  • So also along the lines of bargain basement grid-based gaming tips, I found a technique for making extremely good miniatures with my most abundant natural resource: shitty, unplayable MTG cards. It can be done with basically any kind of paper as long as you draw a stick figure on it, but frankly I can't even do stick figures so it's for the best. Anyway, adapted from part of Rich Burlew's kickstarter rewards, it is the following:

Cut up the card in question, fold it into the shape of a triangle, put a penny on the bottom, tape it there, tape the tops together, and voila! Instant miniature.

Here's my test case, which came out a lot better than I expected. (I don't actually have any scotch tape at home, but hey...proof of concept. Or something.)

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I kind of want a game to play for when Centie and Calica are playing Sorcerer, but no ideas yet
  • May I repost some thoughts on tabletop roleplaying that I posted in my personal thread like yesterday?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonus said:

I kind of want a game to play for when Centie and Calica are playing Sorcerer, but no ideas yet

I bought the Lumpley Games(aka Vince Baker, i.e. including Dogs in the Vineyard and Apocalypse World) bundle and threw it in my private area, though I'm not sure any of those are your thing.
    I'll look
    Do you know of any more supernatural-themed games?

May I repost some thoughts on tabletop roleplaying that I posted in my personal thread like yesterday?

Sure
  • Anonus said:

I was thinking of doing a test-run of the game I've been talking about. I'm not that familiar with the rules yet, but there are a few sample adventures with premade characters and stuff. Maybe we do one of those as a one-shot if we can round up a posse.

Here's the basic rules if you want to see what the game's like, and the three sample adventures are:
    • Travel through a fantastic realm to unearth the tomb of the Archmagus who ruled a world-spanning empire in aeons past
    • Travel through space to fight the remnants of a malevolent AI in the ruins of Ganymede
    • Travel the world to solve the mystery of a cult, a pharaoh, and a dead god
  • Is the tabletop roleplaying ruleset meant as a way to give some semblance of structure to imagination, or as a way to enable a person to do things 'ey can't normally do?

I've found myself wondering if it's possible to run something entirely with "roll-playing" -- i.e. an entirely mechanically-driven experience.

While some people may find this boring, I feel that this does touch on a key piece of (at least what I conceive of as) the essence of the RPG -- that it enables us, as players, to do things through abstractions that we can't do in real life.  And our characters represent someone different from us in their abilities, no matter how immersively we approach the experience.

Now, this is rather clear in the case of supernatural abilities, such as magic, and it could also be said of extraordinary abilities such as particularly honed physical combat skills.  But what about other things such as perception, inference, and social ability?  Those things often get represented as character stats too, but a lot of the time, I've seen GMs ask that their players, say, come up with a specific line of reasoning or argument, rather than simply saying "I try to convince this NPC to do something, and I'm going to roll a Diplomacy check to do so".

But what good is a high charisma score for your character if you can't roleplay properly?  On the other hand, what if you can abstract that away and simply say that your character attempts to make a case for something, and does so very convincingly even if you can't figure out how to word it yourself?  Why can't you do that, when you can say that you perform sick moves skewering an enemy many times in a round with a rapier even if you don't know how to use a rapier?

Such an approach might horrify people who see tabletop RPGs as ways to give structure to their imaginations, since they'd naturally be the people who would be able to "fill in the gaps" in their understanding of the setting more readily, as let's be honest, good role-playing is a skill that requires a good bit of imaginativeness in filling in the details of a setting in with one's imagination.  But -- especially from the perspective of someone who sucks at RPing, and often finds oneself kinda madly thinking of all the possibilities and uncertainties when confronted with a fictional situation but unable to speak honestly about what one's character would do in that situation, I think it could be interesting to see the mechanics as tools, and a campaign scenario as a problem to be solved using those tools, because that's how I often find myself thinking -- as opposed to having to basically co-write the setting.

I can understand that people with brilliant imaginations would feel that this mechanics-based "roll-playing" is boring, as it doesn't give them the chance to engage their imaginative fancy, but I think there is are justifications, both in the essence of an RPG as a tool of abstraction and in the consideration of players who may be better at deduction than flights of fancy, for example.
  • Anonus said:

May I repost some thoughts on tabletop roleplaying that I posted in my personal thread like yesterday?

Sure
    World of Darkness.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonus said:

Sure
    Define "supernatural-themed".
  • you have to be able to make Dean and Cas as characters if you so choose
  • This would be at the top of a hypothetical tabletop RPG playlist for me.

you have to be able to make Dean and Cas as characters if you so choose

Basically Monster of the Week.
    Calica said:

Anonus said:

Sure
    Define "supernatural-themed".
    Ones akin to EmFury or Sorcerer

I don't want anything with the stock Tolkien races like elves or orcs
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Haven said:

This would be at the top of a hypothetical tabletop RPG playlist for me.
    One of Roll20's top features is being able to subject players to my awful musical tastes.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    You can make Sorcerer more or less 'supernatural" depending on how it's ran as far as I can tell, it's worth noting.
  • Haven said:

This would be at the top of a hypothetical tabletop RPG playlist for me.

you have to be able to make Dean and Cas as characters if you so choose

Basically Monster of the Week.
    Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Advance music fits stuff really well.
    Haven said:

Anonus said:

I was thinking of doing a test-run of the game I've been talking about. I'm not that familiar with the rules yet, but there are a few sample adventures with premade characters and stuff. Maybe we do one of those as a one-shot if we can round up a posse.

Here's the basic rules if you want to see what the game's like, and the three sample adventures are:
    • Travel through a fantastic realm to unearth the tomb of the Archmagus who ruled a world-spanning empire in aeons past
    • Travel through space to fight the remnants of a malevolent AI in the ruins of Ganymede
    • Travel the world to solve the mystery of a cult, a pharaoh, and a dead god
    A posse, huh?
  • you have to be able to make Dean and Cas as characters if you so choose

You can do that in WoD!
  • Posse would be a good all-purpose word for adventuring party, I think.

Anyway, made a post in the official interest-checking thread.
  • I have too many ideas but this time I might actually do some of them
  • Xposting from my blog, because I still love that this happened in a 100% Serious Business All The Time Game:

I climbed up to have a sword-fight with an electricity-blasting giant worm thing, then rather than continue the fight I dropped from the ceiling, fired my hand cannon at it, reloaded it and fired again. Then my wolf jumped up and caught me, and then my troll teammate tackled the worm’s corpse from falling on both of us.

Later, for unrelated reasons (mainly because, it turns out, they didn't listen to me) everyone else but the troll died, and he chose to save me and my dog. I like to think it was because we bonded over our love of totally impractical stunts.
  • I just set up like 5 encounters* on roll20 in an hour or so. This is a lot easier to work with than I thought.

*pulled from a premade adventure, admittedly, but still
  • So the Strike! game I've been threatening finally happened, see my personal thread for the full story. 

We only made a quarter of the progress I was expecting, which in retrospect is about as much as a typical tabletop session does anyway. Also, the PCs got super lucky in the combat because the guys who could drag them into the water either messed up or were immediately incinerated, and their leader rolled a 1 on his initiative, meaning that by the time all his "Inspire Your Allies To Greatness" powers were gonna be used, everyone had been massacred. So he exited, pursued by a bird.

Anyway, I had fun and I hope everyone else did too! Thanks for signing up to be my guinea pigs y'all.
    you're welcome