Comcast Buys DreamWorks Animation

edited 2016-04-28 19:47:42 in General
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/04/28/comcast-nbc-acquire-dreamworks-animation/83640258/

I really don't know how to feel about combining DreamWorks with Illumination. As far as I can tell, the only good movie Illumination has ever made is the first Despicable Me.

Comments

• This is Bad.

I Do Not Want This.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I feel oddly vindicated about the DreamWorks Classics characters' possible impending ownership by a "real" media company, but still, I worry about DWA and Illumination joining forces, with Illumination wearing the pants
    Also, that Time Warner didn't do this deal indicates to me that Warner Bros. doesn't really want to be Disney's rival. They ceded that title to DWA in the eyes of the 20-and-unders years ago, but still, they're not that interested in reclaiming it.
  • Tre said:

This is Bad.

I Do Not Want This.

• edited 2016-04-28 21:53:24
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    All I know about Illumination is that that Cinco Paul is a Mormon and some of his movies are okay/good and some are okay/bad, and some are really bad.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0666791/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
    that's an esoteric thing to know about Illumination
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

that's an esoteric thing to know about Illumination

Because you never know esoteric trivia about media companies, no sir. :P
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    In fact, the reason why the kids in Despicable Me pray to Santa Claus is that that was a compromise with other producers who didn't want a prayer scene at all, and Cinco Paul and his co-writer Ken Daurio (also mormon, most of the projects Paul has done, he's done with Daurio) wanted the kids to pray to God.

Also, Paul and Daurio's changed the number of kids that the Mayor had in Horton Hears A Who from nine to 97.  For us Mormons, having lots of kids is normal.  My grandma was ninth of nine kids, and my parents were both sixth of seven.