MapCrunch

edited 2012-02-20 03:12:31 in Roleplay & Games
A cool little site that takes you to random places in the world via Google Street View. You can make a game of it by clicking "hide location" before you go and guessing where you are.

Right now I'm some place where Burger King is called Hungry Jack's, which confirms my suspicion that I'm in Australia.

The place looks surprisingly like America, to be honest.

Comments

• edited 2012-02-20 03:14:54
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I was right.  I was in Hawaii.

I found a "Kamehameha Avenue". ^_^

Now I'm on a narrow country lane in some random cornfield.  Could be pretty much anywhere.  It's very flat.  The Midwest, maybe.
  • I am somewhere where this street sign makes sense:

what does this signify, seriously?

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...um, a crosswalk?
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    It looks like a pedestrian crossing sign.

oh.

Now that you mention it

it does look like a crosswalk sign.

hehehehe...heh.....eh....

anyway, the speed limit signs here are yellow and have a red ring around the numbers.

Where the fuck am I, seriously? I'm still thinking Sweden or one of the other Nordic countries but I can't be sure.

• edited 2012-02-20 03:24:49
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I think that's an EU standard zebra crossing sign (we don't use that kind of sign in Britain so I'm not 100% though).

I was way off the mark with mine.  The roads are in Italian.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm somewhere that looks like the US but with slightly different signage. I'm guessing Canada again.

Also apparently I'm on a rather dangerous road:
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Drive to... laive?
  • Central Avenue! You seem to be near Toronto.
  • edited 2012-02-20 17:27:35
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Huh, looks interesting. Here goes...

I'm on a heavily forested road named Sikomäentie with a sign reading Kuikka. This suggests to my admittedly imperfect intuition that I am somewhere in Scandinavia. I'm guessing Norway.

Edit: Nope, it was Finland. And Kuikka is apparently the city I was about to enter.
  • edited 2012-02-20 17:42:15
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    I ended up in a town called Bucerias, in Mexico off the Pacific.

And immediately ran into Spider-Man.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    That seems to be the default starting screen for me. Didn't notice that, though.

Second attempt, I'm on a road called D8 in a very rural area. It appears to be in the US, but the road seems to be one-way, so I'm not sure. Next time, I'm checking urban only because I suck at guessing from rural areas.

After guessing: Turns out I'm in "Somewhere." Thank you, Google, that was very helpful.
  • After guessing: Turns out I'm in "Somewhere." Thank you, Google, that was very helpful.
    Well, at least you're not going to go into an existential crisis now.
  • edited 2012-02-20 18:31:55
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I accidentally left the window up, so I decided to have another go. As I was mousing over the compass, though, I was informed that "Somewhere" is in fact, Rhône-Alpes, France. Now you know! And knowing is half the battle!

Okay, I specifically selected urban only, and I get another tree-lined road with nothing much else to help me. I call troll. Here's a picture of the closest thing to a city in the viewer, if anyone else can guess better than I can.

• Bucerias is the default starting screen.

NONE OF YOU ARE SPECIAL, MUAHAHAHAHA

• Perhaps this is some sort of message telling us we should go there in order to fight off an ancient evil.
  • Does the ancient evil take the form of a tightrope-walker in a Spiderman costume?

Because that seems like a pretty easy ancient evil to defeat. Forget Cthulu-level, this isn't even 1st level D&D adventure level.

• That's what they all say...

BEFORE THEY NEVER SPEAK AGAIN

-ominous music-
  • Words.

*has spoken again*

Perhaps we could find the things we need to defeat this evil in Wellington, New Zealand. Which, as it turns out, was where Hornsley Road was in the picture I posted.
    So the big game on Tumblr right now is to go to a random location and try to find the nearest airport.

That's gonna be a liiiiiittle bit harder than just figuring out what country you're in. I'm gonna go for it!
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

For some reason, this game reminds me of The Hangover.

That was a SILLY MOVIE

I seem to be somewhere where signs are in French and we drive on the right.

Call it a wild guess, but I'm gonna say France.
  • edited 2012-02-21 00:59:10
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    It's amazing how intuitive road signs of this style are. Despite not knowing any French beyond "Avenue Centrale et L'Utilisateur Anonyme" I somehow managed to find my way from a residential side street onto a freeway or motorway or whatever they're called here--where, amusingly, Google's car took the "credit card only" lane through the toll booths.

Now I just need to keep an eye out for airport signs...