The Official Podcast thread

We Hate Movies: Three to four New York dudes watch bad movies and then dissect them. These guys have seen every movie ever, are fans of character actors you've never heard of, and are really, really great at examining why a movie doesn't work in a hilarious manner. Probably my favorite on this list. Recommended Episodes: Pippi Longstocking, Wild In The Streets, Invisible Child

System Mastery: This podcast involves two guys looking through old, out of print, RPGs and then make fun of them, examine all the bizarre rules and decisions, and occasionally go off on tangents about hot dogs. Come for the terrible design decisions, stay for the Gay Atheist Tree Demon. Recommended Episodes: The World of Synnibar, Furry Pirates, Haven: City of Violence

Animation Dissection:This podcast is build around discussion of various pieces of animation, from TV shows to movies, and unlike the above two, often involves extended discussion of things the hosts actually really like. Also has an animation news segment where they discuss the state of the industry. Recommended Episodes: Speed Racer, New Mickey Shorts, Bee Movie

Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project: Every episode of this podcast is a pilot episode of a fictional podcast created by a fictional character played by comedian Andy Daly. If you know anything about Andy Daly's previous work(Comedy Bang Bang, Review with Forrest MacNeil) you know this will go to some dark, yet funny places.  Recommended Episodes: Rockin and Rollin with Wolfman Hotdog, Hail Satan with Chip Gardner, Eye on Theater with Don Dimello

Comments

• those first two look really cool, I'll give a few episodes a spin later today
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Also the most recent episode of System Mastery is literally their April Fools joke, so don't start with that one
  • edited 2016-04-07 16:07:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'mma check out all three of them.

As for podcasts, I always had  a soft spot for Major Spoilers, and I always liked How Stuff Works.
  • Polygon does some cool vidyagam ones. I don't listen to them regularly but they're cool and very insightful (which is true of podcasts en generale too, but).

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! is also excellent, though I do feel like I'd appreciate it more had I found out about it on my own and not through a class assignment.
    I just want to note people can recommend podcasts they like themselves. And also I am bumping in the vain hope anyone will post in this thread.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh. Actually, I do listen to the Scum Crew's Roundtable Podcast on gaming news and stuff every now and then. I might also be inadvertently following some MTG podcasts since I started following some of them, but I dunno.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tre said:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! is also excellent, though I do feel like I'd appreciate it more had I found out about it on my own and not through a class assignment.
    I listen to that on NPR.

Other good NPR things: On the Media, Snap Judgment, Radiolab†, Sound OpinionsThis American Life, Ask Me Another, Invisibilia, Reveal, The Moth Radio Hour. More niche and less consistent but still fun: A Prairie Home Companion. Defunct but fun: Tell Me More, Car Talk.

†Apparently one of the hosts did something astoundingly dickish and looking that up might spoil an otherwise excellent show so please don't.
    I am rather enjoying System Mastery.

Furry Pirates sounds really atrocious, although I do think a homebrew mod which ditches a lot of the copy/paste historical blahness and just focuses on warring bird-mages on merchant ships in weirdly realistic 17th century maritime settings could be amusing. But the skill system is janky as hell, so you'd be better just writing an RPG about magic bird-pirates yourself. Which would probably be way more fun than reading Furry Pirates.

On the other hand, just dramatically reading the prologue to Synnibarr over post-rock was a stroke of genius. Man, that game sounds delightfully out there.
    Yaaaaayyyy
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Animation Dissection in particular looks interesting, and i'll have to check it out at some point
    Odradek said:

I just want to note people can recommend podcasts they like themselves.

i haven't listened to any of these in anything close to their entirety, but i have a few that i've been enjoying

A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps.  i like this series a lot, i admire its ambition and the way it takes you through the story of the development of the field gradually, so you can follow that development and the disputes involved.  The tone is light and Peter Adamson is an entertaining presenter.  It also features guest interviews with various experts.

The History of Rome, which ran from 2007-2012, and its sequel, The History of Byzantium, which is ongoing.  If it's not obvious, i like extensive chronological histories.  This is a particularly ambitious one.

In Our Time.  Actually a radio series, but the complete archive is available online like a podcast, at least for UK listeners and i think maybe internationally?  Each episode takes a different concept or idea and a panel of experts are invited in to debate it and explore its history.  i particularly like how diverse the subject matter is, including scientific theories, philosophical movements, historical events and figures, specific works of art and fiction, and more abstract concepts like 'time' and 'zero'.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i gotta listen to that Bee Movie episode

I am rather enjoying System Mastery.

Furry Pirates sounds really atrocious, although I do think a homebrew mod which ditches a lot of the copy/paste historical blahness and just focuses on warring bird-mages on merchant ships in weirdly realistic 17th century maritime settings could be amusing. But the skill system is janky as hell, so you'd be better just writing an RPG about magic bird-pirates yourself. Which would probably be way more fun than reading Furry Pirates.

On the other hand, just dramatically reading the prologue to Synnibarr over post-rock was a stroke of genius. Man, that game sounds delightfully out there.
    Also: This is what the guy who wrote World of Synnibarr looks like IRL

RcsMcC.jpeg
  • while on the plane I relistened to the first nine the history of philosophy without any gaps podcasts
    How did that go?
  • I liked it!

I've listened to them before (got all the way through Islamic philosophy) but yeah, still good
    Oh god the newest System Mastery

bunnies-and-burrows-s.jpg
    futile attempt to keep this thread alive
  • I've gotten through the podcasts on Plato

you know, I tend to not like the interview episodes as much as the non-interview ones?
    i actually feel similarly, the interview episodes are never my favourites.

But at the same time i feel it's nice to hear different perspectives on things, Peter Adamson has his own set of opinions and sometimes there are different interpretations which he doesn't discuss.
    I Don't Even Own A Television is pretty good. It tries a bit too hard to fit into the mold of "quirky podcast with too many segments" and that tends to get a bit irritating, especially when it's the segments that aren't as clever as they think they are, but they are a good substitute for reading a bad book yourself.

Also it massively improved once Friedman got a regular co-host and didn't have to entirely rely on having good guests of the week.
    Well! I'll note them, then. I do enjoy listening to people talk about bad books and whatnot.
    So podcasts

• i get a little bit Genghis Khan
    Time for recommends

History Honeys Is about a married couple explaining cool facts from history to each other! This one just started, so you can get on the ground floor.

Monster In My Podcast Is two guys going through the 2ed D&D Monstrous Manual and commenting on each monster in a very loose, shootin' the breeze kinda way. Come for the discussions of building a hot air balloon shaped like a Beholder and dropping Monstrous Manuals on children, stay for the discussion of why the Monstrous Manual has seven pages of different kinds of Beholders. All the episodes are super-bitesized and it comes out frequently, so it's a fun listen
    Ooh, those sound like a lot of fun!  Thanks, Myr. ^_^
  • chuck tingle's aboleth butt-slave
    Odradek said:

So podcasts

• I've been listening to lots of podcasts lately but they've all been MTG podcasts
    The Chimera episode of Monster In My Podcast is really funny
    The latest episodes of System Mastery and History Honeys are good
  • edited 2016-09-10 06:21:26

@Odradek: I finally had a few hours to sit down and listen a few episodes of the Animation Dissection podcast and it's pretty good.
  • edited 2016-09-10 14:14:00
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Good
    Same! Listening to one now, in fact.
  • edited 2016-09-10 19:34:50
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'll try to get to it soonish myself.
  • im catching up on 6 months-ish of monster in my podcast
    https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2016/11/07/over-the-edge-system-mastery-81/

Well lookie here!  Written by Jonathan Tweet (author of 3rd Edition D&D).  Designed by Tweet and Robin D. Laws (Author of Feng Shui).  There’s basically no way this won’t be crazy and interesting.  It’s Over the Edge, almost definitely the only tabletop roleplaying game that purports to be based on the writings of William Burroughs.

Dis gon be good.

Also We Hate Movies did another episode on a romantic comedy premised on everyone acting like nightmarish sociopaths, which are generally their best episodes
  • I love MBMBaM and Cool Games Inc. now, and the WAN Show is pretty great

still don't listen regularly because I'm terrible at keeping up with serialized media but they all bring me joy
  • edited 2017-02-13 15:04:41
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Two more podcasts

The World According To Sound is a bite-sized podcast that consists of a sound, and some narration explaining the sound you just heard. Never any longer than two minutes

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is a comedy theater show/podcast done in the style of old-timey radio serials. Popular segments include Sparks Nevada: Marshal On Mars about a space cowboy's fights against robot rogues and evil aliens, Beyond Belief, in which a pair of rich married mediums(Criminal Minds' Paget Brewster and Bojack Horseman's Paul F. Tompkins) try to avoid dealing with anything other than alcohol and each other, but are eternally bothered by supernatural entities, Captain Laserbeam, starring John Dimaggio(Futurama and Adventure Time) as a superhero who struggles to relate with his young sidekicks, and Down in Moonshine Holler, in which a millionaire-turned hobo seeks out his hobo princess in a mythical hobo paradise known as Moonshine Holler.

The Sparks Nevada episodes have a lot of continuity, everything else is relatively episodic.
    The latter was started by Fresh Air alumni, amusingly enough.
    Tre said:

I love MBMBaM and Cool Games Inc. now, and the WAN Show is pretty great

still don't listen regularly because I'm terrible at keeping up with serialized media but they all bring me joy

If you could link those, I would be greatful
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-02-13 17:38:49
    My Brother, My Brother and Me (MBMBaM): http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/my-brother-my-brother-and-me ;
    An advice show for the modern era with the McElroy brothers (Justin, Travis and Griffin), featuring advice that should never be followed. About an hour every week, entirely too hilarious to ignore. Highly recommended. (Also set to make its debut as a TV show later this month on Seeso-- there's no better time to give the podcast a try.)

All three brothers also do The Adventure Zone, a DnD campaign cast with their dad Clint. I haven't listened to this one yet but I've heard nothing but good things.

Griffin and Justin also do Monster Factory, a YouTube series where the brothers attempt to push the character creation systems of many a video game to their limits.

CoolGames Inc:
    https://soundcloud.com/coolgamesinc
    Another comedy podcast presented by Polygon, with good boys Griffin McElroy (see above) and Nick Robinson (Twitch streamer, member of Polygon's video team, Porter Robinson's older brother). Every week Nick and Griffin take absurd video game ideas from Twitter and try to turn them into the next big thing in the industry. A few of them have actually become real games thanks to fans. It's a beautiful thing.

Griffin and Nick are also the hosts of two series on Polygon's YouTube channel: 

• Car Boys, a show where Nick takes Griffin on a bug-filled, enlightening journey through the strange world of vehicle physics "simulator" BeamNG.drive, and 
    • Touch The Skyrim, a show in which Griffin tries to get Nick to enjoy Skyrim by installing so many mods into the game that it slowly becomes unrecognizable.

The McElroys honestly do so much that I couldn't cover everything here, but most of their other stuff beyond these is available at http://mcelroyshows.com.

The WAN Show
    https://soundcloud.com/thewanshow ;

Weekly Analysis and News with Linus Sebastian and Luke Lafreniere of Linus Tech Tips, a YouTube channel that can pretty much be summed up as "tech videos for nerds by nerds." Recorded live but never starts on time, every week Linus and Luke (or some permutation involving one of them and a guest) sum up the week in tech and exchange witty banter.

Hopefully I did a good job of summarizing them all.

Yes thank you
    As I discussed with Odra on IRC, I've been listening to the Criminal podcast off-and-on and enjoying it a fair bit. Judge, alongside having a very soothing voices, manages to speak clinically enough about the crimes without being off-putting, while still putting flavor into it. The music is pretty pleasant too, and only once have I had to stop listening because it was too much for me (but eh that's just me). Crime podcasts are something I should probably look more into, preferably more bite-sized ones like this.
    The System Mastery guys just started doing an Expanded Universe Star Wars podcast.

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'll note it.

I'm kinda interested in looking more into the EU.
    Odradek said:

Time for recommends

History Honeys Is about a married couple explaining cool facts from history to each other! This one just started, so you can get on the ground floor.
    This seems to... at least on my end, like, not have anything. ;[ Hope I'm missing something glaringly obvious.
    Odradek said:

Two more podcasts

The World According To Sound is a bite-sized podcast that consists of a sound, and some narration explaining the sound you just heard. Never any longer than two minutes
    I'll add this to the pseudo-rotation when I get the chance to even formalize that pseudo-rotation.

I want to work in System Mastery too but most of their videos seem to be entirely too long for my tastes for regular viewing (I think, really, that Criminal is roughly my ideal length of time).
    Ahah, thanks.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    listening to sword and scale.