ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    6-year-old iPad running a 4-year-old version of iOS: Google Earth gets the current Google logo.

Much newer laptop running most recent version of Windows 10: Google Earth gets the Google logo they stopped using in 2013.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    One of the admins on Logopedia has freaked out and fucked up the front page
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    oh?
    http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Logopedia

it still hasn't been undone

This logo makes no visual sense. There's better ways to interlock a "T" and a "P," and they had to go and put in those red stripes to make it look kinda like an American flag.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    tbh that's about the level of incompetence I expect from anyone involved with Trump's campaign
  • The T is penetrating the P, giving the whole thing a weird, innuendo-y vibe.

There is no way this didn't come up during the design process. Someone brought that up, and Trump either ignored them or decided that that would make it better somehow.
    it looks like it's jerking off
  • also "Trump/Pence" just doesn't roll off the tongue well.
  • Hm.

Any other candidate, I'd be sure this was a coincidence. But, well, Trump.
    tbh those logos don't even look alike, they're similar only in being red and blue and featuring Ts interlocked with another letter
    Anonus said:

tbh those logos don't even look alike, they're similar only in being red and blue and featuring Ts interlocked with another letter

See, but the fact that it's close enough for people to make that association would be a bad thing...for any other candidate.
  • they dont even look vaguely alike??????????
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah, I don't get it at all. Even with that in mind it looks like an embarrassing reach.
  • they have the same colors I guess?

I don't know it's like I have been telling people. Donald Trump is already an idiot and all around horrible human being, you don't need to make shit up to have ample evidence that he's a terrible person.
    lol subway
  • ... I actually like the new rendition.

Call me crazy, but the more subdued execution of the idea this time around fits pretty well with the way they've been marketing themselves lately (going back to their roots as The Subway Sandwich Shop, rethinking the brand elements to reflect modern style hallmarks, nothing associated with Jared in any way). I think it works, and should fit in well with their current look.
    It looks a little tasty too, even if I prefer the colors of the former logo. I like it.
  • The new Dell logo started rolling out today.

It's... pretty much the same as it was before (and has been for years), but I do like the thinner text, it fits the holding shape they've settled on a bit better. It'll probably look good on computers.
    was it meant to be friendlier to small sizes?
    It's not bad.

I like that the weight of the lettering is roughly the same as the thickness of the circle.
    I like it.
  • hm

the only thing I have in my house with a Dell logo on it is the laptop I'm using right now. But I put a Stones' Throw sticker over the logo several months ago.

Things that are seriously weird: discovering that there is an animated version of the Gunther-Wahl Productions logo (that predates The Angry Beavers by several years)...and a further variation upon that! (And this was years before Family Guy did a variation on its intro in a similar vein)
    That variation might not be safe for Centie
  • http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_the_verge_done_in_house.php#.WBo_gnT3af0

So. Not even going to front and say I don't have any bias here, because The Verge has been my favorite tech blog since (before) it launched, but.

I like the new look. The revised logo is weird on account of being the old one with the serifs filed off (and the kickstand on the R redone completely) but it isn't ugly, and the retrofuturistic look of the website itself fits well, even if it isn't perfect (I'm still figuring out the deal with the pathway lines, though I do like them). I think as we get a bit more time with it, the site and the brand will both evolve, too (just as the original identity did), so this probably won't be the end-all-be-all of the look.

Also, Armin himself didn't really do it, but if the poll and the comments are any indication, filing off the serifs from the Lubalin wordmark seems to be a cardinal sin in the eyes of Brand New's audience, which... ehhh? Dropping them actually doesn't make a huge difference in practice, especially in an age when the logo is on more small screens than ever. (And to think, they called the Verge team hipsters...)
    I like Serif Gothic, too, but this is honestly not the end the world, like they seem to think it is.
    http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_for_taco_bell_by_lippincott_and_in_house.php

I have been calling for the death of this logo for ages but I suppose it was going to end in a monkey's-paw way
    The redesigned bell icon isn't so bad (and I'm drawn to logos that can "re-skin" easily; just look at ABC), but God, that wordmark is so...plain.

Taco Bell may not be alta cocina, but on the other hand, it's not a bank, either.
  • I neither love nor hate the new one. It's just okay, which is kind of appropriate given that I kind of feel the same way about Taco Hell itself, it doesn't warrant any strong feelings of attachment. 

I'd imagine that Lippincott and the in-house team went into this knowing that the connotations of the brand are too strong to warrant any real kind of reinvention, so instead the focus went on refinement. I think they succeeded in making it feel more 2016, but I can't help but feel like there's a certain generic quality that got introduced in the process. You looked at that old extended font on the one and just knew it was Taco Bell, but that's gone now.
    that old extended font was a modified Frutiger, I think
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    A bunch of years ago I remember wondering if Dell would drop its diagonal E after Enron got all its bad press with the cooked books.  I guess it didn't happen.

That was Paul Rand's last design too
  • I've said this before but there are far too many people, both living and dead, named Paul Something or Something Paul.

Paul Rand, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Sean Paul, John-Paul II, St. Paul....
    His real name was actually "Peretz Rosenbaum"
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    and ayn rand was alissa rosenbaum.  why did two rosenbaums become rands
  • I've said this before but there are far too many people, both living and dead, named Rosenbaum Something or Something Rosenbaum.

Rosenbaum Rand, Rosenbaum Ryan, Rand Rosenbaum, Ron Rosenbaum, Sean Rosenbaum, John-Rosenbaum II, St. Rosenbaum....
  • edited 2017-01-06 23:54:32
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I feel like the Cleveland Browns desperately need an actual logo

I've seen a bunch of Browns merch around Central Ohio, and most of it prominently features their helmet logo which really seems kind of inversatile
    The problem is that there's nothing obvious

Like, most team names are an animal (Broncos, Dolphins) or something else that lends itself to a visual interpretation

Browns is just...a color.
    It's actually a person

They solved the issue with "Brownie the Elf" but he doesn't seem like he would lend himself well to their modern needs in any form but a "throwback" form. Making him look "aggressive" like they'd want would just make him look stupid. And the bulldog logo they use now could stand to be redone and upgraded to primary. Bizarrely, no other NFL franchise seems to have a canine mascot or anything.
    It does seem like canine mascots would be more common...

Also, why did they choose an Elf?
    search me
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Fuck the Modells.
    At least Ryan's eagle is cute
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Browns logo should be a flaming river
    but that was like 50 years ago