What are your favorite foods and drinks?

edited 2016-03-09 18:44:29 in General
I couldn't find a thread for this so I made it. Self-explanatory. Specific dishes, styles, just things you like (e.g. "spicy stuff"), so on. Off thw top of my head...
  • What I've had of Japanese curry.
  • I don't like ice cream overall but I love mint.
  • Anything milk, especially hot chocolate.
  • French toast.
  • Asparagus, it goes great with basically anything.

Comments

• edited 2016-03-09 18:35:34
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Curry
    Garlic bread
    Sweet things in general
    Tea
    Orange and mango juice
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Gyros. Sausage pizza. 

Caipirinhas.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    GYROS
  • Burgers, but not that wannabe McDonald's shit, the good kind.
    Steak
    Ribs
    Spinach when it's dry
    Provolone cheese
    Root beer (with and without ice cream)
    Burritos
    Sesame/General Tso's/orange chicken
  • curry

gyros

poutine

horrible taco bell garbage

bubble tea
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    In no particular order: Sushi, particularly unagi, uni, toro, spider rolls; steak au poivre; crème brûlée; toffee and almond Symphony bars; Cadbury eggs; and spicy Chinese food in general.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    See now Sredni has good taste
    >_>
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    • pizza
    • garlic bread
    • a majority of chocolate, especially Cadbury's, especially Creme Eggs and Crunchie bars
    • grapes
    • tea, unsweetened
    • cider, especially Black Dragon
    • apple juice
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    fried chicken, pizza, apples, garlic bread
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    • japanese curry
    • SUSHI
    • strawberry banana smoothies
    • gyros
    • french fries
    • steak, medium rare because i am a monster
    • burgers
    • garlic bread 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    milk

pizza

most kinds of breakfast food (i.e. pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, all that kinda good stuff)

burgers (the worst cow)
    ^^ Gyro is great, medium-rare steak is great. We should hang out and eat food. That is the logical solution here.
  • one minute you are eating food with sredni, the next it is you that are in his maw!

dine with him at your peril
    That's only you, dear.
  • generally speaking, Chinese and Latin American cuisines.  Some Italian.

Veggies are very important.
    Cheese is very appreciated.
    Garlic is also very appreciated, as are scallions.
    A good balance of flavors is also important.  Stronger flavors need to be balanced with blander flavors.  (Garlic may be an exception.)

Spiciness, sourness, and bitterness are acceptable but should be presented in limited quantities.  Also, please do not overapply soy sauce.

I don't care much for candy.  When I do eat candy I prefer Skittles and Starburst.  But I've had this bag of Starburst sitting here for forever and the only person who's eaten from it is my housemate.

Examples of foods I like:
    * manicotti (pasta tubes filled with ricotta cheese)
    * the casado (rice, black beans, veggies, some meat, fried plantains)
    * shrimp in lobster sauce (a mix of shrimp and veggies in a thick, light-colored, translucent sauce)
    * garlic bread
    * a Chipotle burrito containing brown rice, black and pinto beans, fajita veggies, pico de gallo, lettuce, cheese, corn, sour cream, and guacamole
    * "leung5 meen6 wong4" - shredded pork cooked (pan-fried) with various veggies, then used as a topping for semi-crispy thin Chinese noodles (so the dish has a mix of crispy and soggy noodles)
    * "pei4 dan2 sul3 yook6 jook1" - congee (rice porridge) with preserved duck egg and pork
    * scrambled eggs with cheese
    * oatmeal porridge
    * New England clam chowder
    * Progresso canned lentil soup
    * "choung1 yul4 beng2" - scallion pancakes (or "scallion oil crackers", literally)
    * fried soft-shell crab
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    Everyone I know is squeamish about steak that is red/pink on the inside but I'm like "DON'T YOU SEE THAT'S THE APPEAL". Also, hanging out with people and eating food is one of the things that I am best at, so this is a good plan. 
  • edited 2016-03-10 05:21:00
    other things I like

sour cream and onion potato chips
    corn chips - the kind that you eat with sour cream and salsa and cheese and such
    corn chips - the fritos kind
    sugar cookies
    white chocolate
    Arby's roast beef sandwiches
    "gon1 tsau2 ŋul4 haw2" - "dry stir-fried beef wide-noodles", literally
    fried chicken
    watermelon
    asparagus
    broccoli - if you do this right, the juice of whatever you're cooking gets trapped between the florets, resulting in TONS OF FLAVOR when you bite into the florets.
    orange
    mango
    yogurt
    roast duck
    "dsah3 dsee2 gii1" - roasted chicken with crispy skins, often served with a special salt for dipping, as well as prawn chips
    catfish
    eel (such as in unadon)

also this one dish that a vegan place somewhere makes that consists of kale cooked with an obnoxious amount of garlic, and it makes one's mouth just reek with garlic for hours afterward, but i love it
    it goes well with their vegan mac and (imitation) cheese, which is relatively bland, so there's a good balance
  • edited 2016-03-10 05:17:02
    Oh, also.

Whatever it is that you have decided you don't feel like cooking anymore and are about to throw out.

I really hate food waste.
    Glenn, never work in a restaurant, especially not a fast food restaurant
  • god

that's the main reason why i had to stop at the deli
    Epitome said:

Everyone I know is squeamish about steak that is red/pink on the inside but I'm like "DON'T YOU SEE THAT'S THE APPEAL". Also, hanging out with people and eating food is one of the things that I am best at, so this is a good plan. 

Cooking steak past medium defeats the point and is, generally speaking, gross. A burger should be medium-well; a steak, rare to medium-rare. Mix that up and it's bad, bad news.

I would like that. Eating out with friends is fun. :3
  • edited 2016-03-10 05:32:20
    I am sometimes vegetarian by convenience.

The following can make a full meal:
    1. cut up some veggies or empty half a pound (or more) of frozen veggies into a pot.  maybe add a few pieces of garlic.
    2. put water in pot.
    3. bring to a boil.
    4. throw in some pasta.  about a quarter or fifth of a pound, dry weight.
    5. bring to a boil again.  don't let it boil over.  let it boil until it is the pasta is soft enough to be consumable.  after that, continue boiling if you want softer pasta, or stop if you want more chewy pasta.
    6. pour the result into a bowl.
    7. open a can of black beans, and top the result with some black beans.

that is a meal.
    optional: shredded cheese, canned crushed tomatoes, sour cream?, bacon bits?

can also replace the black beans with microwaved chicken nuggets or smoked sausage/kielbasa but eh

oh, yeah, i do like some kinds of sausage, such as kielbasa and smoked sausage and vienna sausage

also i like salted cashews and pistachios
  • edited 2016-03-10 05:33:01
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I loathe eating out due to how lacking in character, alongside generally physically unpleasant, a number of the places I've gone to have been. Eating out with friends itself is pretty neat, granted, but I'd much rather go to like a small deli or something and eat and walk.

I also like sushi. The sushi places I used to go to felt energizing, but the only ones nearby now are wearisome.
  • i remember one time i went to taco bell and the manager chased a dude out with a knife, that was dope
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've been known to go to Wendy's a lot
  • edited 2016-03-10 05:38:23
    another quick recipe:

two medium-sized russet potatoes, or the equivalent in any other size of any variety of potatoes

scrub, then cut off any green parts, and any dirty parts
    cut them into larger chunks (maybe two chunks per potato, roughly)
    put them into microwaveable bowl
    microwave with paper towel covering them, for 7 minutes
    now you have baked potatoes.

top with anything you want, as desired.  salsa, sour cream, cheese, papa john's garlic sauce (suggested you use this alone if you're going to use this one), bacon bits, canned beans, etc.

not necessarily the best thing in the world, but it depends a lot on your toppings, and it provides a very quick way of making a great base upon which to throw some toppings
  • I can't count the number of times I've order schnitzel at a restaurant and I get some godawful fucking slab of some indeterminate meat with sliced bread attached via gluestick. Schnitzel is thin, alright. Beat your meat. This is going to provide tenderness and contribute to the glorious texture of a proper schnitzel. 

Veal works best unless you have a moral compass, so beef and pork are fine equivalents. Chicken is okay, but boring, and also the most prone to becoming just like, crumbed chicken. As a rule of thumb, a properly beat schnitzel base should feel like you could tear it with minimal effort. Then, flour it. This is a good time to add any spices you're going to use; paprika works pretty well. Work those spices into the flour beforehand, as it'll make things easier and you'll end up with more consistent schnitzels. 

From here, our proto-schnitzel goes into some beaten eggs with a dash of milk. Slam your sopping meat onto a tray of bread crumbs and thoroughly (but gently) press the crumbs into both surfaces. The schnitzel is now ready to cook in oil until golden brown; the result should have a crisp exterior and tender interior. 

The next part is very important: Do not add melted cheese and tomato sauce. Parmigiana can't decide whether it's trying to be schnitzel or pizza and is generally awful at being either, so choose schnitzel or pizza. There is no need to ruin a finely constructed schnitzel by making it into a base for a completely different (albeit glorious) dish. 

I guess I eat other things sometimes but I forget.  
  • Curry, of all kinda but especially Japanese and Indian curry, particularly Madras, Jalfrezi, Rogan josh and Dopiaza styles.
    Pierogis (The ones w/ sauerkraut and mushrooms in them are really good)
    Steak (Anything other than medium rare or rare is a sin)
    Tofu if cooked right (Agedashi is always nice though I do enjoy baked tofu or mapo tofu)
    Baked or fried Eggplant
    Pizza
    Burgers from The Vortex
    Granny Smith apples
    Broccoli
    Eel
    Jiaozi and most variations on Jiaozi (Seriously, if I could live on Jiaozi, I would)
    Baozi
    Lasagna
    Scrambled eggs
    Apple and grape juice (Another thing if I could live off of I would)
    Crème Brûlée
    Bourbon
    Tequila, though it depends on the brand
    Rum (usually White Rum or Golden, occasionally Dark rum and it really depends on the brand)
    Good red wine

In no particular order: Sushi, particularly unagi
    A man after my own heart.
    Eel soup is also delicious.
  • Eel soup is also delicious.

Very true

Also, I forgot Miso soup. I loooooooove Miso Soup.
  • Miso soup is great.
    Egg drop soup is too.
    Also thick stews are in general pretty nice.
    Heck, soups in general.

Also, fruit juices.
  • edited 2016-03-10 06:24:26
    meow meow meowtherfuckers

Beat your meat

Slam your sopping meat

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Thank you Epi. I wanted to, but I just... thanks.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    *sobs* don't make me choose *sobs*
  • edited 2016-03-10 22:43:33
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    • Pasta, the meatier and cheesier the better:
      • I adore good lasagna and will be enthused about even the mediocre frozen stuff.
      • Spaghetti is good, too. A good meat sauce and Parmesan are always a good idea.
      • I suppose mac and cheese falls into this category, too, though it usually doesn't have tomatoes in it.
    • Spicy or hearty soups, or stew if it's around.
      • I buy Korean ramyun by the case because it's cheaper to get that way, and it's much tastier than the Nissin or Maruchan bricks.
      • Thai chicken lemon grass soup.
      • That chicken and dumplings recipe my mom likes. It's not my grandmother's, but it'll do.
      • Beef stew, whether it's traditional tomoatoey beef stew or something like stroganoff. Even canned beef stew is pretty good if there's rice around.
      • BUTTER CHICKEN CAN'T FORGET THAT
    • Subs, from just about anywhere, though Lost Dog in Arlington and Joe's in Manassas Park particularly good, and Sheetz and Wawa do a good job as well. Subway is fine in a pinch.
    • Fried potatoes of various sorts. Sheetz has really good tater tots. McD's, Wendy's and quite a few local places all have good fries (and I like Arby's curly fries, too, though you don't have to go to Arby's to get those if you feel like running the oven). Spicy or sour potato chips, especially if they're a bit sweet (a lot of Utz's crunchy chips are like this).
  • oh man lasagna is killer too

though I don't have it very often because my mother doesn't like ricotta

she also makes the best baked ziti on the earth
    Crystal said:

Thank you Epi. I wanted to, but I just... thanks.

SAME.
  • edited 2016-03-11 01:55:02
    Tre said:

though I don't have it very often because my mother doesn't like ricotta

cause your mom don't like ricotta
    and if she don't like ricotta
    then she ain't no friend of mine

(just kidding)
  • man I hate lasagna
  • blood

Vampire joking aside, I love sushi. I usually get rolls since they're less expensive and my favorites are yellowtail or anything with tuna or eel.

I love spicy foods, and a wide variety of spicy foods. It'd take too long to attempt to list it all so I'll just go with "if it makes most people's lips go numb I probably would like it".

Tropical fruits but especially mango.

Favorite vegetables are spinach, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, and baby carrots. Ooh and those roasted seaweed snacks.

Lots of different kinds of soup. Tomato soup is a major comfort food as a holdover from childhood, but there are many many kinds of soup I love... lentil soup, miso soup, egg drop soup, Italian-style wedding soup, pea soup, chunky chicken with rice, clam chowder, lobster bisque... er.

Most seafood I've tried, if it's properly prepared.

Pasta with a drizzle of olive oil, some herbs, and a little Parmesan cheese.

Lots of cheeses, though not really a fan of those processed American "cheese" slices. Favorites are extra-sharp white cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss, and muenster (I tend to like white cheeses best I guess?)

Greek yogurt. Most any flavor. Sometimes with fresh fruit and granola mixed in.

Coffee. Sparkling water. Regular water with a little lemon juice. Lemonade. Green tea. Dr. Pepper.

Lots of things I'm forgetting to mention. XD
  • Spinach is great.

Oh, so is ranch dressing.  Ranch dressing with spinach, mushrooms, and cheese is great.

Something I like to do when I get sandwiches at Subway is to ask for half the footlong to get ranch dressing and the other half to get Sweet Onion dressing.
  • Ranch dressing is excellent. 

I also forgot: chunky peanut butter, pork chops, chicken tenders dipped in either barbecue sauce or honey mustard, tater tots, potato pancakes, and gummy bears.

... Not all at the same time though.
    chuck em all in a blender why not