Can someone explain the logic behind immigration laws to me?

Because, well, I don't get it.

It seems to me that law-abiding individuals ought to have the right to come and go between countries as they please.

But I must be missing something, because clearly the majority of people don't feel that way, or more countries would have such open borders.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    How do we know they're law-abiding?
  • I'd chalk up hard immigration law to the fact that othering is alive and well in the modern age, especially (and ironically) in America
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

How do we know they're law-abiding?

Background checks?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    To be fair, while I would like us to have broader asylum laws and decidedly less stringent immigration laws, I think that not following up on just who it is that has entered the country can be a bit problematic. For instance, do we really want people like that crazy Cuban terrorist who blew up a plane hiding here to avoid Castro? No, I'd rather not. Granted, Republicans are perfectly happy to let that guy stay here and kick out Guatemalan children fleeing gang violence, so...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre said:

I'd chalk up hard immigration law to the fact that othering is alive and well in the modern age, especially (and ironically) in America

yup

To be fair, while I would like us to have broader asylum laws and decidedly less stringent immigration laws, I think that not following up on just who it is that has entered the country can be a bit problematic. For instance, do we really want people like that crazy Cuban terrorist who blew up a plane hiding here to avoid Castro? No, I'd rather not. Granted, Republicans are perfectly happy to let that guy stay here and kick out Guatemalan children fleeing gang violence, so...

well Centie did say "law-abiding"...
  • kill living beings
    if nothing else, changing residency is pretty intrinsically complicated; you're saying "okay, i was subject to these laws and registered in these bureaucracies, and now i want to be subject to these other laws and registered in these other bureaucracies".
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    people have strong, dumb ideas about the purity and strength of nations