Megaman

edited 2012-02-14 19:24:37 in General Media
Another game franchise thread. Here's a place to talk about the Megaman games, and maybe the shows based on them as well.

So, if you're into Megaman, what's your favorite subseries? Out of the ones I've sampled, I like Battle Network the best, with Classic being a pretty close second. I haven't played Starforce, but I'm curious about it.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I had the Megaman and Megaman X collections for the last generation of consoles. I liked what I played, generally speaking, though I can't say I was much good at it.

Also, look how entertaining Egoraptor is.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I think the gameplay of Megaman X is pretty cool, and I like most of the Maverick designs. But when I read up on the story, it kind of felt like the game was guilt-tripping me for doing what it required me to do, and I'm not a big fan of that. Oh, well.

Weird confession: I think it would be cool to have the Maverick bosses around if they weren't converted into homicidal soldiers.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    All of Ken’s clothes fit him!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    All of Ken's clothes fit who? Wheel Gator? I think he'd have to get custom-fit clothes.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I've gained a reputation as the school's local megaman nut.

I've played quite a few of the games in the lobby, most notably all of Network Transmission.
    @Deathonabun: I remember you mentioning that you liked Battle Network, too. Are there any other Megaman games in particular you like?
  • I like Megaman.

I just wish it wasn't

y'know

soul-rendingly hard.

Let's see...

In particular, I really really like

BN3

Network Transmisison

2, 3, 9

X, X5

Zero 3

The Legends games
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Soul-rendingly hard, that's always been my problem with them.
    Soul-rendingly hard is my reason for liking the games.

I'm incredibly masochistic when it comes to video games.

• Thank you for putting that in my head, thread
  • edited 2012-02-15 18:51:08
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^You're welcome.

I'm not very good at the Megaman games, though I haven't played them in a while. I can't really say how hard they are for myself.
    Nice! Are you enjoying it so far?

Come to think of it, I never got the feeling that the story of Megaman Zero was really depressing or trying to guilt-trip the players even though it's a lot closer to grimdark than Megaman X was. Weird.
  • edited 2012-02-18 20:16:22
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Oh, yeah. I remember seeing that now. From what I remember, Aztec Falcon is one of the only bosses that really has a time limit, though that is pretty tough to deal with for the second boss. Of course, you can always challenge yourself to get a high score on the missions, but I'm not sure how well I'd do at that.
  • edited 2012-02-18 21:59:05
    I hope you do too, squid. Go for it!

For some reason, I want to give stats and make descriptions of the Mavericks as NetNavis for use in a Battle Network roleplay. I don't quite know where to start or if I'd ever use them, though.

Mostly, I want to stick to the bosses from the first three X games, and maybe even make up a few of my own. One idea that's swimming around in my head is Hydro Python.
  • edited 2012-02-19 01:52:40
  • edited 2012-02-20 15:52:01
    I checked the Megaman wiki, and it says you use some of the Nurse Cyber-Elves to increase your health bar. Though I think it said you unlock a secret Elf by collecting and feeding all the ones you can find in the game without using them.

So, who's your favorite Megaman boss, to fight or based on how they look? My favorite Robot Masters are Air Man and Snake Man (big surprise there). Meanwhile, I really like Armored Armadillo's design for some reason.
  • edited 2012-02-20 21:28:04
  • edited 2012-02-22 20:15:41
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Oh, yeah! I like Elec Man and Dust Man, too, though I think Elec Man's NetNavi counterpart looks a bit better. Fire Man and Bomb Man are also pretty cool-looking.

Poor Dust Man. Having to eat and spit out junk metal as your job must be pretty tough.
  • edited 2012-02-22 21:41:13
    Funny thing is, it's sort of true what he says at the beginning of the game: he was "behind that fool Dr. Wily" the whole time, from a certain point of view.
    Mega Man is a very masculine series. Everybody is a Man of some kind.
  • edited 2012-02-22 21:43:58
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    A lame pair of glasses and a cape are all you need to disguise your identity, everyone knows that.

^ Well, there's penguins and stuff.
  • edited 2012-02-22 21:44:58
  • edited 2012-02-22 21:46:19
    ^^I think the Mavericks were all male except for the dragonfly one, though. Come to think of it, if I recall correctly, we've had exactly one female boss each in both Classic and X.
    How do robots have a gender anyway
  • edited 2012-02-22 21:50:59
  • edited 2012-02-22 22:22:49
    Presumably, it's the mental and social aspects of gender instead of a replica of the physical sex. (Ninja'd.)

And now I have an idea for bits and pieces of the basic premise of my Maverick NetNavi roleplay. Namely, that a group of network scientists created sixteen experimental animal-based NetNavis with superhuman abilities and intelligence. However, an underground group of criminals wants to use them/the programs used to make them for their own purposes and kidnaps several of them. The players would be 3-5 of the people specially asked to receive one these Navis, who would be assigned to help recover the stolen "Mavericks."

Does this sound like a good framing device for a story?
  • edited 2012-02-26 23:45:44
  • edited 2012-02-27 09:24:11
    Well, in this game there are Cyber Elves labelled as "Satellite Elves" that don't affect your mission ranking in any way, and you can equip two of them at once.

Trust me, they come in handy.
    They're permanent.

Think of them as equipment.