IJQGM: misaligned affected public nerd universes but first we build up speed for 12 hours

Comments

• 4 parallel universes over
  • i'm gonna sample the video this is from
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "should Nintendo reboot the Mario series?"

why? there's no continuity anyway
  • kill living beings
  • I just watched that

like in one hand I can kinda respect all the work done in how it all works, but on the other hand

are these terms other TASers use?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    xvii. - Tiny-Huge Island(s) [SRCH19]

Tiny-Huge Island is a legitimate threat to Big Boo's Haunt's unofficial heading
    as Super Mario 64's Most Inimitable Level. It holds the significant distinction
    of being the only level in the entire game with more than one entrance. This is
    not a discussion of Tiny-Huge Island's idiosyncrasies, however. This particular
    section shall discuss my personal belief that Tiny-Huge Island is NOT comprised
    of two versions of the same island, but rather two distinct islands altogether.
    Now, obviously, the developers created two separate islands and in the canon of
    Super Mario 64, the tiny and huge versions are supposed to be variations on the
    same island. Nonetheless, my idea is that, even in the canon of Super Mario 64,
    Tiny-Huge Island is composed of two entirely separate islands. The following is
    an unbiased, objective analysis of my proposal, with arguments for both sides.

Argument: Two Versions, One Island
    ----------------------------------

The most definitive piece of evidence that could be used to dispel any theories
    that Tiny-Huge Island is two separate islands would be proving that any actions
    in one version (or island) effect the other version (or island). In a fortunate
    turn of events for those who believe Tiny-Huge Island is one island, there is a
    piece of evidence that soundly suppresses contrary claims: if Mario Butt-stomps
    the top of the mountain in tiny world, thereby emptying the water, and switches
    over to huge world, the water from the mountaintop is still drained. This shows
    that Mario's actions in tiny world directly effect the huge world, thus proving
    that it is impossible for both versions to be entirely distinct islands.

Argument: Two Islands
    ---------------------

In attempting to prove that Tiny-Huge Island is two separate islands, it is not
    difficult to see the importance in noting logical inconsistencies. As a perfect
    example: the Ball-ombs (the black cannonballs) in tiny world are small, and the
    Ball-ombs in huge world are bigger, but the inconsistency here is that the ones
    in huge world are the exact same size as those in Bob-omb Battlefield! If there
    is truth to each version being tiny and huge, and if the Ball-ombs in Tiny-Huge
    Island are supposed to be representative of the Ball-ombs featured elsewhere in
    Super Mario 64, then the Ball-ombs in huge mode should be mammoth in size. This
    is along the lines of the Piranha Plants featured in Tiny-Huge Island: there is
    a single tiny one in tiny world, and several massive ones in huge world. Bowser
    in the Sky contains more tiny Piranha Plants than the tiny version of Tiny-Huge
    Island itself, suggesting that the tiny Piranha Plant featured in tiny world is
    a normal enemy, a variant of the regular Piranha Plant, instead of a conceptual
    one, which would be the case if Tiny-Huge Island's two versions were veritable.

Final Thoughts
    --------------

There is no doubt that both sides possess convincing evidence, and it would not
    be wise to definitively claim that either side is correct. It is entirely poss-
    ible that the developers made a faux pas (or two) in terms of the logical dyna-
    mics of a level the ilk of Tiny-Huge Island, resulting in this ambiguity. It is
    arguably pointless to debate such a topic, not because it is silly, but because
    Tiny-Huge Island's purpose is to offer the player two alternate realities of an
    individual level, and whether each version is a separate entity or not, doesn't
    really matter: Tiny-Huge Island delivers in a major way.

xviii. - Jolly Roger Crate [SRCH20]

In the third level of Super Mario 64 is a sunken ship. After this ship has been
    emptied of water, causing it to rise, a wooden crate mysteriously appears, sli-
    ding back and forth across the deck as the ship rocks to and fro. This crate is
    not visible on or in the ship while it is sunken, so where does it come from? A
    skull-and-crossbones logo (or a "jolly roger") appears on it, so perhaps it's a
    symbolic talisman of Jolly Roger Bay. Interestingly enough, the crate harms you
    if you touch it, and it cannot be destroyed or affected in any way. It seems to
    exist as a constant hazard, one whose origins will forever remain a mystery.
  • kill living beings
    SF_Sorrow said:

I just watched that

like in one hand I can kinda respect all the work done in how it all works, but on the other hand

are these terms other TASers use?
    I wouldn't be surprised, they are crazy people. The TASVideos page on SM64 tricks talks about parallel universes and "QPUs" and stuff. Of course, speedrunners are often engaged in doing things on consoles rather than emulator, which makes it kind of difficult.
  • kill living beings
    Also, the community that tries to get through SM64 with as few "A" presses as possible is probably about five people.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that video was amazing, thanks Jane
  • kill living beings
    Actually let's do a pannenkoek thread

Because I saw this video months ago, before this one got memetic for some reason, and it's also insane

Without commentary it's completely mystifying.
    staircases of clusters of goomba clones

that is some serious bs

genius, but completely absurd
  • oh gosh so this is the video that my friend was talking about
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

Without commentary it's completely mystifying.

yeah i guess TJ "Henry" Yoshi getting dddddestroyed is the deciding factor for memeism here

anyway don't worry there's diagrams

• Tachyon said:

staircases of clusters of goomba clones

that is some serious bs

genius, but completely absurd

this

the game is no longer recognizable as a mario game except by the cosmetic visuals

it instead becomes a programming puzzle
  • Mario Teaches Romhacking
    so the hackers have grown tired of World and moved on to 64, I guess

2016 is the wildest year so far
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    is that an actual love live thing
  • kill living beings
    hey

hey
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Haven said:

this has gone too far
  • Jane said:

idgi

would you say that you're...at a loss?
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    i am so confused 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Haven said:

what is this
  • kill living beings
    It's loss.jpg, the meme about steganography.
    how cryptic can it get before nobody gets it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

It's loss.jpg, the meme about steganography.

my favorite thing is how everybody either immediately gets it or looks at it going "huh?"

there's no in-between
    I didn't get it
    from now on, I'm just going to assume that if I see a picture on the 'net I don't understand it must be loss.jpg
  • this doesn't really rock

that's how i know you're not at a loess
  • The funny thing is, I just saw a loss.jpg with scuttlebug yesterday, and I still didn't get this one.

Unless there are walls between the sections, I'm not primed to recognize a thing as loss
    I never recognize abstractions of loss.jpg
  • Anonus said:

I never recognize abstractions of loss.jpg

It's hard to blame you, it's a form of 
    compression which isn't very efficient.