Anonus Watches Steven Universe

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Steven being grounded from TV for a thousand years has stuck
    Also does Steven go to school or anything?
    Amethyst turned back into her wrestler form
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Also does Steven go to school or anything?

This was touched on in "Mirror Gem", remember? Connie talked about school and Steven had no idea what she was on about.
    oh, right

also L'il Butler seems like something my subconscious would have shat out during a dream
    The TV is a product of Sumy, the electronics company that's really got to sell Colundia Pictures
    goopy amethyst looks extremely Dexterpuffy
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

Jane said:

Priyanka is voiced by Mary McGlynn

alright

You do know that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is a veteran voice actor and ADR director, right? She's mainly known for her anime dubbing work, but she's been around for a really long time and is well known for being a consummate professional.

I'm just... if you didn't recognise that name, I'm kind of shocked.
  • I think Anonus just does not tend to elaborate upon single-word affirmatives.
    i'm not an anime type, generally

also Lion can roar portals!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I want to find out more about Lion and where he came from
    And his relationship with Rose Quartz

And his relationship with Rose Quartz

isn't Lion her other half? or implied to be?
  • edited 2016-01-11 12:41:10
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Still, McGlynn is a step or two down from Steve Blum in the "famous people in dubbing" ranks and I think basically everyone knows who Steve Blum is. Or should.

For point of reference: She directed the rightfully legendary Cowboy Bebop dub and has been the voice of the Major in basically every Ghost in the Shell property since the second film was brought over.

^ Not confirmed yet. But they're definitely connected.
  • edited 2016-01-11 13:14:10
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i confess i don't know who any VAs are besides the people AU talks about and one or two others.

It's not something i notice, since i don't tend to recognize when two characters have the same VA.
  • I don't normally notice it either.

Unless it's Steve Blum, who sounds similar in many roles.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    On the rare occasion when i've been like 'hey, is x the same voice as y?' and looked it up i've generally been mistaken
    One thing I quite like about Steven Universe is the diversity of its voice cast.

Deedee Magno-Hall (Pearl) and Shelby Rabara (Peridot) are Filipino, Michaela Dietz (Amethyst) is Korean, and Estelle (Garnet) is...Estelle, obviously.

It would have been really easy just to cast the same couple white voice actors in most of these roles but they went to some effort to actually go for representation instead.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

I don't normally notice it either.

Unless it's Steve Blum, who sounds similar in many roles.
    The thing about him, though, is that while in certain roles he sounds very similar, he has a really, really wide range and tends to play a lot of unexpected background characters in addition to the sort of leads he's known for.

One thing I quite like about Steven Universe is the diversity of its voice cast.

Deedee Magno-Hall (Pearl) and Shelby Rabara (Peridot) are Filipino, Michaela Dietz (Amethyst) is Korean, and Estelle (Garnet) is...Estelle, obviously.

It would have been really easy just to cast the same couple white voice actors in most of these roles but they went to some effort to actually go for representation instead.
    Agreed.
    That is pretty cool
    There's a message from Lapis Lazuli, I believe this is her first appearance since "Ocean Gem"

Homeworld gems are invading Earth

Also, Steven claimed his mind is the Internet, I suppose roleplaying as Freakazoid as a result :P
    Mayor Dewey's truck now goes E-VAC-U-ATE
    it took a while for the war to actually become known to the audience
    Jasper calls Garnet a "shameless display"

foreshadowing
    (though honestly the first I ever saw of this show outside of promos was "Stronger Than You" so in a way I already knew)
    Did you skip a whole bunch of episodes or did you just watch a bunch in a row today?
    no

I watched a bunch today, I saw part of "Jail Break" last year when I had CN on
    this was before half the people here decided to start watching SU
    Anonus said:

(though honestly the first I ever saw of this show outside of promos was "Stronger Than You" so in a way I already knew)

I find it odd that despite your general aversion to spoilers...you started with what, at the time, was the biggest spoiler in the series

Anonus said:

I find it odd that despite your general aversion to spoilers...you started with what, at the time, was the biggest spoiler in the series
    I didn't consciously start with it, I just flipped to Cartoon Network one day and there that was!

Anyway, I'm up to it now
    hahaha oh my god this was the greatest introduction to any series ever

also this is the first iris-out in a while
    the Big Donut's all smashed up
    no, a Transformers mini-ad!
    In "Fusion Cuisine", when Alexandrite unfuses, you can briefly see separate outlines of Ruby and Sapphire before they combine into Garnet
    ooh
    I've given thought to playing Amethyst's "I'M HUNGRAY" over the sound system at the home games of my imaginary NFL team, the Los Angeles Jackrabbits, or otherwise using it in association with them

But maybe I could find some other context for it
    I don't know how to feel about my imaginary team. I take issue with a lot of things about the NFL but on the other hand the notion of my own team whose stadium is yet another shrine to my fixations amuses me.
    The team itself is probably horrid but there's a hotel attached to the stadium and shit. And in case football ever collapses, the field itself is convertable to a public park!
    answer the phone, Steven
    PEARL NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING I FELT MY HEART BREAK
    What was that in reference to, again?
    steven trying to sneak away from connie

everything's better now though
    tv tropes probably orgasmed at the beginning of "Open Book"
    Steven's falcon costume looks vaguely like Falco Lombardi
    Is "Story For Steven" this show's version of "Labretto"?
    "Next stop, Empire City!"

SU and Sonic share their universe, confirmed
  • or maybe the inFamous games