The Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer filmstrip ribbon

edited 2016-01-07 06:26:20 in Design
People seem to have forgotten that the real MGM's logo had white film. They only turned it gold on a permanent basis after Ted Turner took the library and the lot away and the shell was passed back to Kirk Kerkorian. It was a sign of impending death, it was a sign of a big old sham, and the culture bought into it.

The real MGM died in either 1986 (Turner) or 1990 (Parretti, way worse).

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't know if I'd say I've "forgotten", but I certainly wouldn't have known this if not for you.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I thought everybody had seen the real MGM's logo...

pictured: iterations of the real MGM logo
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Has anyone made a spoof with Steven's Lion in it yet?
    also: MGM needs to stop using the current lion. They've been using him since 1957 and he is long dead.

Has anyone made a spoof with Steven's Lion in it yet?

The show itself did, remember?
    And I'm pretty sure it had the gold filmstrip! Or was it pink?
    Nope it was gold:

Oh, the current MGM logo is godawful:

It looks like shit.
    Anonus said:

Nope it was gold:

oh yeah, I forgot about that!

I like that the mask is a smiling Steven head
    the filmstrips are gold, and the smiling Steven head is not red
    One thing that SU's filmstrip ribbon improved over the current one was the big circle being restored from the classic versions of the logo.

But the filmstrip ribbon still takes its coloration from the 2008 version of the logo (which turned the mask from red to gold).
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    The funny thing about SU's MGM logo is that the old logo would fit SU's colour scheme significantly more than the current one does.
    indeed
    @Anonus I do like that you're examining, in detail, the accuracy of a spoof logo on a children's cartoon
    Oh, it's accurate. Accurate to the logo used by "Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer", the entity wearing the skin of the old Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. If only ol' Ted had the money to hold onto the brand name at least!

(Did you know that he pledged the entirety of Turner Broadcasting System as collateral were he unable to pay his debts to Kerkorian? He would have foreclosed on it all - the MGM library, CNN, the SuperStation, the Atlanta Braves...)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Duuuuuuuuuude, chill out.
    But think of what could have been! Think of Turner Classic Movies...with LIONPOWER
    LION

POWER
    Well see, the thing is...they made it look like the current logo because that's the one the audience would be familiar with.

Right?
  • actually anonus the meme is "lion order"
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Well see, the thing is...they made it look like the current logo because that's the one the audience would be familiar with.

Right?
    Myself, I have issues with it because of what I mentioned in my post up there, but I'm not more than mildly bugged by it.
    Jane said:

actually anonus the meme is "lion order"

(That's not the filmstrip ribbon, it's the old simplified MGM lion which was used mostly on movie posters, though it ended up on a few actual movies)