Cruel and Unusual UI Design

edited 2015-12-31 23:08:24 in General

(For MMO players: This is a healer. All of those duplicated spells are macros to target individual party members. In FFXIV, macros prevent you from queuing your next action.)

(For non-MMO players: This is dumb as hell.)

Comments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    no game in any genre should need that many icons.
  • God, and here I was thinking that the PS3/4 version had a complicated control scheme
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tre said:

God, and here I was thinking that the PS3/4 version had a complicated control scheme

Well, I mean, this is the player's fault, not the PC's. I main the class pictured there and well, you might have gathered my reaction already!
  • For someone not familiar with FF14, why is queueing your action bad?

I remember I'd do that quite a bit as a WoW healer, because I'd be expected to have a heal charging before it was needed just in case someone took a bad series of hits.  If it wound up not being necessary, I'd just jump to cancel it or something.
    Bee said:

For someone not familiar with FF14, why is queueing your action bad?

I remember I'd do that quite a bit as a WoW healer, because I'd be expected to have a heal charging before it was needed just in case someone took a bad series of hits.  If it wound up not being necessary, I'd just jump to cancel it or something.
    As I said, it prevents you from queuing your next action. Which as you pointed out, is bad.

It's even worse in this case because Scholars are basically the Disc Priests of FF.
  • Ah.  I assumed the pictured player was intelligent and was doing it for a reason.  Guess not.

By way of comparison, these are my bars, and that's with my pet bar included.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-01 04:45:46
    Yeah that looks more like my WoW bars.

I had something like a 5x6 box in the lower right.  The top two rows would be almost all of my main skills, form/stance sensitive, some forked off with macros to take ctrl/shift branches, and all hotkeyed to the buttons immediately around WASD.  Next two rows were clickable consumables and long cooldowns.  Last two rows were stuff like food, mount, and switching out quest items.  It was about as compact as you could ever expect for a character with multiple forms and three different specs, and left almost the entire area around my character unobstructed.

The macros did interrupt automatic queueing, but I had good enough timing + latency that it didn't matter much.