having given it some more thought

I don't like the folding ideas guy

Comments

• Guess you've left the fold
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I don't like the folding ideas guy

Why?
  • edited 2015-12-15 14:34:03

he's not particularly insightful or knowledgable, his critiques that veer into ideological territory are tedious and offputting, and he has this general aura of the kind of man who never actively self-critiques or seriously considers the viewpoints of others
    Okay
  • (*mic drop*) now I'm gonna try to sleep again and fail miserably
  • this has been the theme of the last 8 hours of my life

not sleeping
    *puts out a saucer of warm milk for the kitty*
  • I do really like brows held high guy though, he knows what he is talking about and has a lot to say
  • edited 2015-12-15 15:10:31

I guess, to clarify more: folding ideas guy has a basic grasp of filmmaking technique and critical theory. this leads to him producing content that is, at its core Decent. it's Just Ok.

which I would be OK with.

except he combines that with...

this is a really hard thing for me to articulate effectively.

like, you know that kind of person who knows a modicum of basic music theory and uses that knowledge to agressively back up their mediocre taste in music? the knowledge had only serves to reinforce the mediocrity that was already there, not to expand horizons, but to ossify them.

he's like that, but with movies.

like, he has no pizzaz or subversiveness, it's just Good Taste and Good Politic, I'm Right and The Facts Agree With Me.

you see where I'm coming from with this?
  • I am getting a strong sense of deja vu from this thread and I don't know why.
  • boring and, even more criminally in my mind, self-righteous
  • I just can't deal with people who think that they are right all the time, or whom are unwilling to slip into strange mindsets in order to get different angles on things
  • sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm completely sleep deprived and have no filters anymore
  • edited 2015-12-15 15:24:01
    don't worry, you and i can pretty consistently irritate each other anyway
  • having had some more thoughts

the more I think about it, the worse Voyager's handling of Chakotay is
  • they had an opportunity there and

they kinda botched it
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I half agree and half disagree, if that makes any sense, but I am too tired and physically uncomfortable to form an interesting explanation of my feelings.

I guess, to clarify more: folding ideas guy has a basic grasp of filmmaking technique and critical theory. this leads to him producing content that is, at its core Decent. it's Just Ok.

like, you know that kind of person who knows a modicum of basic music theory and uses that knowledge to agressively back up their mediocre taste in music? the knowledge had only serves to reinforce the mediocrity that was already there, not to expand horizons, but to ossify them.

like, he has no pizzaz or subversiveness, it's just Good Taste and Good Politic, I'm Right and The Facts Agree With Me.

This is how I feel about the Nostalgia Chick

having had some more thoughts

Their consultant for the character of Chakotay was literally an Armenian guy who was passing himself off as a native american to sell books.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

This is why I stopped following JesuOtaku.
  • having had some more thoughts

Their consultant for the character of Chakotay was literally an Armenian guy who was passing himself off as a native american to sell books.
    holy shit

Her too honestly.

Her too honestly.

Her earlier stuff, yeah, but reading her recent work and listening to her talk about stuff on the ANN podcast now and then, she seems a lot more self-aware with respect to the weaknesses in the things she likes and her own biases now, which I think is a good thing. And I liked her stuff before, so, hey, wunderbar.
    This is another reason why I like Todd more than most other critics.

Say what you will about his antics on social media, but he is capable of exercising enough self-control to keep it out of his videos, unlike most who do such things.
    But yeah, I'm conflicted about this. I agree that Olson can be didactic and self-righteous, but I feel like, at his best, he is doing something that I don't really see a whole lot of other people doing in terms of fusing a user-friendly introduction to the tools of communications theory with the video review format. It's really, really meta, in that it's about showing people the very ways that they can challenge what they're seeing presented and how it's being presented, providing the tools for its own deconstruction.

Which makes sense given that his parents were apparently both in theatre.
    Sure.
  • But yeah, I'm conflicted about this. I agree that Olson can be didactic and self-righteous, but I feel like, at his best, he is doing something that I don't really see a whole lot of other people doing in terms of fusing a user-friendly introduction to the tools of communications theory with the video review format. It's really, really meta, in that it's about showing people the very ways that they can challenge what they're seeing presented and how it's being presented, providing the tools for its own deconstruction.

Which makes sense given that his parents were apparently both in theatre.

this is totally reasonable, I just have a really low tolerance for both didacticness and self-righteousness
    I don't think he goes headlong into that territory that often, though, and there are some areas in which he does it and I don't really have a problem with it. But I think the risk of sounding preachy is kind of big when you're doing a show about critical theory and communications as a base rather than about, say, a particular medium like film or music or prose fiction.
  • im just low-key mad about his review of the cremaster cycle

also that superman review which sounded like the work of one of those dour english marxists that odradek dislikes so much
  • edited 2015-12-15 23:11:34
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    On the one hand, he's unfair to the conceptual art movement and doesn't entirely address the fact that CREMASTER was essentially meant as visual mood music for Barney's sculptural work in gallery settings; on the other hand... if taken as a film series on its own, while the aesthetics are interesting... ehhhhhhh.

Also, he admits in the quasi-blog episode after the first superhero episode that mainly he was just pissed about Gangster Squad and generally creeped out by the amount of authoritarian subtext in a lot of recent action films.
    I should go watch the Cremaster review before I say anything about that, but I didn't mind the Superman review, honestly, even if there were more interesting angles he could've gone in with it.
  • what is this "cremaster" person

i saw another thread involving that name and i was gonna make a pun assuming that meant "master of cremation"

what is this "cremaster" person

i saw another thread involving that name and i was gonna make a pun assuming that meant "master of cremation"

Well Glenn
  • I didn't know LMGTFY updated their logo to match the Google rebrand, but it's cool that they did.

Keeps it fresh.
  • what is this "cremaster" person

Well Glenn
    oh, i see, it's a film cycle and a testicular muscle
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    folding ideas guy is above my level so i respect his expertise
  • Tachyon said:

folding ideas guy is above my level so i respect his expertise

you severely undersell yourself matey
  • edited 2015-12-16 10:24:32
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    nah

i'll know if/when he stops seeming insightful to me

that was kinda rude, sorry.  thank you for the compliment, but like when someone is a more informed/experienced critic than me i can usually tell

This has gotten really bad for a lot of critics, I've noticed
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah, it sucks.
  • now I feel weird abt that post because while that definitely describes a lot of critics idk if it describes folding ideas guy

I was mad at him for other reasons and kinda tarred him with the same brush as other people

now I feel weird abt that post because while that definitely describes a lot of critics idk if it describes folding ideas guy

I was mad at him for other reasons and kinda tarred him with the same brush as other people

Yeah I noticed that it doesn't seem to fit him
    Yeah...
  • there are no good critics anymore

checkmate artcrits
  • but does criticism have the obligation to be "good"? what is "good" criticism?
    I remember when I realized it with Lindsay was her Aphrodite video where here knowledge of Ancient Greek philosophy was muddled in very very obvious ways, and it made me realize she didn't know as much as she pretended to.

And the last time she had a surprising opinion was when she defended the 90s Hercules animated series.
  • 1. if they want me to read it yes

2. something that doesn't make me want to chuck my Dell out of a window, ie. nothing
    Don't be so mean to your red-headed stepcousin Dellbourne, Jane
  • then your definition isn't very useful I'm afraid